List:       linux-video
Subject:    xawtv broken in 6.1 to 6.2 upgrade
From:       Jeff Hallgren <jhallgren () abaton ! com>
Date:       2000-04-17 14:31:17

Greetings!
	I'm a new list member and of course, I'm asking for help!
	I don't think xawtv (or kwintv) is actually broken but something
changed during the upgrade. I can no longer change channels and there is
no sound.

Some specifics:

Under rh6.1 I installed a Hauppage WinTv (BT878) PCI card with FM radio.
I compiled xawtv3.10 and installed it, then added to /etc/conf.modules:
alias char-major-81 bttv
pre-install bttv modprobe -k tuner; modprobe -k msp3400
options bttv radio=0 card=10
options tuner type=2

After a reboot everything worked fine. Right click on xawtv showed a
volume control that worked and I could change channels with the arrow
keys or with the xawtv-qremote-0.02 app. Life was good.

Then I upgraded to 6.2.
I did a custom upgrade adding almost every package available. Including
quite a few things I had not installed under 6.1.

After the upgrade, during reboot the tv card was detected as new
hardware (this was different, 6.1 never detected it as new hardware) and
I was asked if I wanted to
configure it, I said yes, 6.2 apparently did its thing and reboot
continued.

Now, when I launch xawtv it appears to work fine (the default channel
comes in nice and clear) except there is no sound and I can't change the
channel, a right click on xawtv no longer shows the volume control. The
xawtv title bar changes to reflect the new channel but the content of
the window doesn't change.

Intel 400 PII 512MB
Esoniq 1371 sound PCI
Hauppage 401 WinTv/DB/FM PCI

	I've tried upgrading to xawtv3.12 which had no effect.
	I've searched the linux.redhat.install news groups and noticed a couple
other folks with the same problem but no solutions.
	Redhat support told me:
> The resolution to your problem:
> I'm sorry as this doesnt fall under the installation support we can
> provide. I shall close this ticket, but! You might be able to find help.."
	And a search of the redhat support list archives at
www.moongroup.com/redhat.phtml on "xawtv" just bombs...
	This situation is not described in any of the xawtv/bttv documentation
that I could find.
	I really don't know what to do from here. Ideas on how to proceed would
be appreciated.
	Thanks
--
Jeff Hallgren
jhallgren@abaton.com

List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: xawtv broken in 6.1 to 6.2 upgrade
From:       Eric Sandeen <sandeen () jump ! net>
Date:       2000-04-18 16:56:15

 >I don't think xawtv (or kwintv) is actually broken but something
 >changed during the upgrade. I can no longer change channels and there is
 >no sound.

Sounds like your tuner and sound modules aren't loaded.

After you load xawtv, check /proc/modules ("cat /proc/modules") to see what
modules are loaded - I think I'm having a similar problem with this - it
seems that the pre-install line in /etc/conf.modules is no longer working,
and the other modules aren't getting loaded.

You can get around this by manually loading the tuner and msp3400 modules,
but I sure wish I had a solution to the root problem.

-Eric

List:       linux-video
From:       Jeff Hallgren <jhallgren () abaton ! com>
Date:       2000-04-18 21:17:37

	Yes, that's it exactly.
modprobe -k tuner type=2
modprobe -k msp3400
	from the command line fixes everything. (now added to rc.local)
	Thank you!!
--
Jeff Hallgren