From: i...@corp.u-net.com (Ian Robinson)
Subject: FreeBSD vs LinuX (again) ???
Date: 2000/05/27
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

I'm sure that this is old one .. but  .. can anyone give me a hand
here

I've used Linux on and off for some 5 years on a dial-up desktop and
seem to have grown out of the playing phase. My academic background is
computational physics hence a familiarity with UNIX systems. (b.t.w
VMS used to be excellent for program development, saving a code
version was automated in the sense that one did not have to rename the
source and executable files. Autoincremented version numbers were
added to the file names)

Back to the matter in hand. I've played with loads of LinuX versions,
currently on Mandrake. As a computing lecturer I have had some sucess
in persueding my pre university level students to play with Linux.

I'm considering moving to FreeBSD.

A hunt around the net threw up the following.

1. Different file system structure and file system (?) sounding rather
like Solaris slices.

2. Most LinuX apps should work on recompiliation, plus there is some
sort of emulator ability built in ????

3. Claimed to be more stable .. though I've never had a problem with
LinuX

4. Mach rather than Linux kernel, developed by a closed(ish) group

5. BSD possibly rather faster as a server.

6. BSD possibly slightly slower as a standalone desktop.

7. Connections with the sexy looking new Mac OS X (if it ever
appears):- did'nt NexT use the Mach kernel? I am possibly interested
in developing for the Mac OS X, or at least getting my mitts on it and
drooling.

Thats my research so far, editing out vast amounts of petty squabbles
and flaming.

Am I correct in the above points.

Can anyone convince me to change, or is the difference largely
academic as the GNU apps are the same.  Is there some sort of killer
app or killer reason to switch ??

Any opinions most gratefully recieved.

Ian

Posted using Agent under the influence of WINE by someone under the
influence of wine.