	      Linux Video & DVD Project Mailing List Archives

List:       linux-video
Subject:    MPEG2 cards
From:       Ralph Metzler <rjkm () netcologne ! de>
Date:       2000-06-25 0:09:20

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding MPEG2 cards, all purely hypothetical ;-)=

There has been a question on the video4linux list regarding MPEG2
encoder cards a few days ago.
Let=B4s say that in the (very) near future there is such an MPEG2 encoder=
 card
together with Linux drivers.
Who would be interested in such a card? =

How big would you estimate the market for such a card?
What would be an acceptable price range?

The same card might a little later also be available with an additional
MPEG2/DVD decoder chip on it. =

Would you prefer a cheaper version with TV output only?
Or would you rather pay more and have DMA to graphics memory? =

Again, how big would the market be and what would be an acceptable
price for either version of the card?

And, while I=B4m at it, let=B4s say that also in the near future there
are Linux drivers for a well known PCMCIA DVD decoder card but for TV out=
put only.
Who knows anything about ZV support for notebook graphics chips? =

Is ZV documentation available for any of those chips? =

Ralph

PS: Who will be at the Linux-Tag in Stuttgart next week? =

> Who knows anything about ZV support for notebook graphics chips? =
> Is ZV documentation available for any of those chips? =

For the S3 ones it looks like it might be. And I know the people who know the
right people in Neomagic, and maybe intel

> PS: Who will be at the Linux-Tag in Stuttgart next week? =

I will