Linux-2.4.15-pre9

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 01:44:30 EST

David Mosberger noticed that SCHED_FIFO has been broken for a while, and
obviously very few people really cared, but it should be fixed now.

The USB update that I had originally documented as being part of pre8 was
actually in my in-file, and is _really_ there in pre9, along with a bonus
usbnet update.

I think I'm ready to hand this over to Marcelo.

                Linus

-----

pre9:
 - David Brownell: usbnet update
 - Greg KH: USB and PCI hotplug update
 - Ingo/me: fix SCHED_FIFO for UP/SMP for good (flw).
 - Add back direct_IO now that it works again.

pre8:
 - Richard Henderson: alpha update
 - Andrew Morton: fix ext3/minix/sysv fsync behaviour.

pre7:
 - Jeff Garzik: network driver updates
 - Christoph Hellwig: UFS filesystem byteorder cleanups
 - me: modified Andrea VM page allocator tuning

pre6:
 - Russell King: /proc/cpuinfo for ARM
 - Paul Mackerras: PPC update (cpuinfo etc)
 - Nicolas Aspert: fix Intel 8xx agptlb flush
 - Marko Myllynen: "Lindent" doesn't really need bash ;)
 - Alexander Viro: /proc/cpuinfo for s390/s390x/sh, /proc/pci cleanup
 - Alexander Viro: make lseek work on seqfiles

pre5:
 - Greg KH: enable hotplug driver support
 - Andrea Arcangeli: remove bogus sanity check
 - David Mosberger: /proc/cpuinfo and scsi scatter-gather for ia64
 - David Hinds: 16-bit pcmcia network driver updates/cleanups
 - Hugh Dickins: remove some stale code from VM
 - David Miller: /proc/cpuinfo for sparc, sparc fork bug fix, network
   fixes, warning fixes
 - Peter Braam: intermezzo update
 - Greg KH: USB updates
 - Ivan Kokshaysky: /proc/cpuinfo for alpha
 - David Woodhouse: jffs2 - remove dead code, remove gcc3 warning
 - Hugh Dickins: fix kiobuf page allocation/deallocation

pre4:
 - Mikael Pettersson: make proc_misc happy without modules
 - Arjan van de Ven: clean up acpitable implementation ("micro-acpi")
 - Anton Altaparmakov: LDM partition code update
 - Alan Cox: final (yeah, sure) small missing pieces
 - Andrey Savochkin/Andrew Morton: eepro100 config space save/restore over suspend
 - Arjan van de Ven: remove power from pcmcia socket on card remove
 - Greg KH: USB updates
 - Neil Brown: multipath updates
 - Martin Dalecki: fix up some "asmlinkage" routine markings

pre3:
 - Alan Cox: more driver merging
 - Al Viro: make ext2 group allocation more readable

pre2:
 - Ivan Kokshaysky: fix alpha dec_and_lock with modules, for alpha config entry
 - Kai Germaschewski: ISDN updates
 - Jeff Garzik: network driver updates, sysv fs update
 - Kai Mäkisara: SCSI tape update
 - Alan Cox: large drivers merge
 - Nikita Danilov: reiserfs procfs information
 - Andrew Morton: ext3 merge
 - Christoph Hellwig: vxfs livelock fix
 - Trond Myklebust: NFS updates
 - Jens Axboe: cpqarray + cciss dequeue fix
 - Tim Waugh: parport_serial base_baud setting
 - Matthew Dharm: usb-storage Freecom driver fixes
 - Dave McCracken: wait4() thread group race fix

pre1:
 - me: fix page flags race condition Andrea found
 - David Miller: sparc and network updates
 - various: fix loop driver that thought it was part of the VM system
 - me: teach DRM about VM_RESERVED
 - Alan Cox: more merging

-

Re: Linux-2.4.15-pre9

From: Anuradha Ratnaweera (anuradha@gnu.org)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 02:47:00 EST

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:44:30PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I think I'm ready to hand this over to Marcelo.

Aren't you going to include Tim Schmielau's patch to handle uptime larger than
497 days? It is a cool feature we always liked to have.

Cheers,

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.13)

Unix is a Registered Bell of AT&T Trademark Laboratories. -- Donn Seeley

Re: Linux-2.4.15-pre9

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 13:52:03 EST

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 10:44:30PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > I think I'm ready to hand this over to Marcelo.
>
> Aren't you going to include Tim Schmielau's patch to handle uptime larger than
> 497 days? It is a cool feature we always liked to have.

Quite frankly, right now I'm in "handle only bugs that can crash the
system mode". Anything that takes 497 days to see is fairly low on my
priority list. My highest priority, in fact, is to get 2.4.15 out without
any embarrassment.

Because it's not as if time stops when Marcelo takes over. I've suggested
to him that he wait for a while just to see what the real problem spots
are, but he'll have a full-time job integrating patches.

Note that I'll probably do the same thing: when I release 2.4.15, I'll at
the same time release a 2.5.0 that is identical except for version number
(that makes synchronization easier later on). And I'll probably _not_
start accepting all the big waiting patches immediately, I'd rather wait
for at least a week or two to see that there aren't any other issues.

It's much easier doing some of the IO patches in particular knowing that
the base you start out from is stable.

                Linus

-