Subject: Coding style - a non-issue
From: "Peter Waltenberg" <pwal...@au1.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:40:10 +0100
Sender: robo...@news.nic.it
Newsgroups: linux.kernel

The problem was solved years ago.

"man indent"

Someone who cares, come up with an indentrc for the kernel code, and get it
into Documentation/CodingStyle
If the maintainers run all new code through indent with that indentrc
before checkin, the problem goes away.
The only one who'll incur any pain then is a code submitter who didn't
follow the rules. (Exactly the person we want to be in pain ;)).

Then we can all get on with doing useful things.

Cheers
Peter

-

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Peter Waltenberg wrote:

> The problem was solved years ago.
>
> "man indent"
>
> Someone who cares, come up with an indentrc for the kernel code, and get it
> into Documentation/CodingStyle
> If the maintainers run all new code through indent with that indentrc
> before checkin, the problem goes away.
> The only one who'll incur any pain then is a code submitter who didn't
> follow the rules. (Exactly the person we want to be in pain ;)).

indent does _not_ solve the problem of:
	* buggers who think that MyVariableIsBiggerThanYourVariable is a
good name
	* buggers who define a function with 42 arguments and body being
	return (foo == bar) ? TRUE : FALSE;
	* buggers who add 1001st broken implementation of memcmp(), call it
FooTurdCompare and prepend it with 20x80 block comment.
	* buggers who use typedefs like WORD, DWORD, BYTE, IMANIDIOTSHOOTME
and other crap from the same source (OK, they don't write the last one
explicitly - not that it wasn't obvious from the rest of their, ahem, code).
	* buggers who use Hungarian notation for no good reason and come up
with structure fields that sound like street names from R'Lyeh
	* buggers who introduce wrappers for standard kernel stuff - like,
say it, typedef int Int32; and sprinkle their crap with per-architecture
ifdefs.
	* buggers who think that cpp is Just The Thing and produce turds that
would make srb cringe in disgust.

Al, -><- close to setting up a Linux Kernel Hall of Shame - one with names of
wankers (both individual and coprorat ones) responsible, their code and
commentary on said code...

-

> Al, -><- close to setting up a Linux Kernel Hall of Shame - one with names of
> wankers (both individual and coprorat ones) responsible, their code and
> commentary on said code...

Please, please, please, I'm begging you, please do this.  It's the only way
people learn quickly.  Being nice is great, but nothing works faster than
a cold shower of public humiliation :-)
--
---
-