Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel
From: Andreas Hartmann <andihartm...@freenet.de>
Subject: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
Sender: linux-kernel-ow...@vger.kernel.org
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:19:40 GMT

Hello all,

Again, I did a rsync-operation as described in
"[2.4.17rc1] Swapping" MID <3C1F4014.2010...@athlon.maya.org>.

This time, the kernel had a swappartition which was about 200MB. As the
swap-partition was fully used, the kernel killed all processes of knode.
Nearly 50% of RAM had been used for buffers at this moment. Why is there
so much memory used for buffers?

I know I repeat it, but please:

	Fix the VM-management in kernel 2.4.x. It's unusable. Believe
	me! As comparison: kernel 2.2.19 didn't need nearly any swap for
	the same operation!

Please consider that I'm using 512 MB of RAM. This should, or better:
must be enough to do the rsync-operation nearly without any swapping -
kernel 2.2.19 does it!

The performance of kernel 2.4.18pre1 is very poor, which is no surprise,
because the machine swaps nearly nonstop.

Regards,
Andreas Hartmann

-

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> 	Fix the VM-management in kernel 2.4.x. It's unusable. Believe
> 	me! As comparison: kernel 2.2.19 didn't need nearly any swap for
> 	the same operation!

If you feel adventurous you can try my rmap based
VM, the latest version is on:

	http://surriel.com/patches/2.4/2.4.17-rmap-8

This VM should behave a bit better (it does on my machines),
but isn't yet bug-free enough to be used on production machines.
Also, the changes it introduces are, IMHO, too big for a stable
kernel series ;)

regards,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C?  Who cares?  http://thefreeworld.net/

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/

-

>>Again, I did a rsync-operation as described in
>>"[2.4.17rc1] Swapping" MID <3C1F4014.2010...@athlon.maya.org>.
>>
>>This time, the kernel had a swappartition which was about 200MB. As the
>>swap-partition was fully used, the kernel killed all processes of knode.
>>Nearly 50% of RAM had been used for buffers at this moment. Why is there
>>so much memory used for buffers?
>>

> It's very strange.  The large amount of buffercache usage is to
> be expected from statting 20 gigs worth of files, but the kernel
> should (and normally does) free up that memory on demand.
>
> Which filesystem(s) are you using?
>
> Are you using NFS/NBD/SMBFS or anything like that?

Basically, I'm using NFS and reiserfs. But I didn't use any file on NFS
since the last reboot - and the NFS-shares haven't been mounted.

There are 2 IDE-Harddisks in this machine:
hda: WDC WD205AA, ATA DISK drive (40079088 sectors (20520 MB) w/2048KiB
				  cache, CHS=2494/255/63, UDMA(66))
hdb: WDC WD450AA-00BAA0, ATA DISK drive (87930864 sectors (45021 MB)
					w/2048KiB Cache,
					CHS=5473/255/63, UDMA(66))

On hda, I have got 7 partitions (plus one little "boot"-partition, which
isn't mounted and a 200MB swap partition).
On hdb, I have got 12 partitions and one more, meanwhile 1GB swap partition.
All partitions are formated with reiserfs.

Regards,
Andreas Hartmann

-

> 	Fix the VM-management in kernel 2.4.x. It's unusable. Believe
> 	me! As comparison: kernel 2.2.19 didn't need nearly any swap for
> 	the same operation!
> The performance of kernel 2.4.18pre1 is very poor, which is no surprise,
> because the machine swaps nearly nonstop.

Does the 2.4.9 Red Hat kernel (if yoiu are using RH) or 2.4.12-ac8 show the
same problem ?
-

> Again, I did a rsync-operation as described in
> "[2.4.17rc1] Swapping" MID <3C1F4014.2010...@athlon.maya.org>.

Some other examples:
I just did a
cp -Rd linux-2.4.16 linux-2.4.17
(with object-files). Before starting this action, I had about 120 MB of
free RAM. During copying - I did nothing else meanwhile, there was 2MB
swap used - and 12 MB of RAM were free. The biggest part of memory was
used for caching - what is ok.
After copying, only 10 MB of memory have been given free again. There
have been 490MB of RAM used now (nearly most for caching).

Outgoing from this situation, I started another little cp-action:
cp -Rd linux-2.4.18pre1 linux-2.4.test
(again including object files).
Result: the swap usage stayed nearly constant, neverthless there have
been 6 accesses to swap.

Now, I deleted the linux-2.4.test-directory with
rm -R linux-2.4.test
This action was very fast (approximately 1s).

Afterwards, a big part of the cache memory has been given free (about
100MB). Now, 122MB of RAM have been free again.

Next example (running after the last):
SuSE run-crons have been running. This means:
-> updatedb
-> sort
-> frcode
-> find
-> mandb

47MB swap used, 2/3 of memory is used for buffers (Don't forget: I've
got 512MB of RAM) and about 30MB of RAM are free.

My observation:
Why does the kernel swap to get free memory for caching / buffering? I
can't see any sense in this action. Wouldn't it be better to shrink the
cashing / buffering-RAM to the amount of memory, which is obviously free?

Swapping should be principally used, if the RAM ends for real memory
(memory, which is used for running applications). First of all, the
memory-usage of cache and buffers should be reduced before starting to
swap IMHO.

Or would it be possible, to implement more than one swapping strategy,
which could be configured during make menuconfig? This would give the
user the chance to find the best swapping strategy for his purpose.

Regards,
Andreas Hartmann

-