Newsgroups: mlist.linux.kernel
Date: 	Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:18:08 -0800
From: ccroswh...@get2chip.com
Subject: Problems with VM

I am having difficulties with memory allocation in  teh 2.4.17 kernel.
Memory is being agressively given as cache but not retrieved to be used
as 'normal' ran.  Consequently, I will have a machine that has 5M
'normal' RAM, 800M 'cache' RAM and the reset coming out of swap space.
I need this 'cache' RAM placed back into the available RAM pool to be
used by applications.  Is there a patch/kernel configuration that I can
change this behavior?

Chris Croswhite
Get2Chip, Inc.

-

> as 'normal' ran.  Consequently, I will have a machine that has 5M
> 'normal' RAM, 800M 'cache' RAM and the reset coming out of swap space.
> I need this 'cache' RAM placed back into the available RAM pool to be
> used by applications.  Is there a patch/kernel configuration that I can
> change this behavior?

2.4.18-rc1 should fix the worst of that. The rmap patches in 2.4.18-ac
definitely fix it
-

> I am having difficulties with memory allocation in  teh 2.4.17 kernel.
> Memory is being agressively given as cache but not retrieved to be used
> as 'normal' ran.  Consequently, I will have a machine that has 5M
> 'normal' RAM, 800M 'cache' RAM and the reset coming out of swap space.
> I need this 'cache' RAM placed back into the available RAM pool to be
> used by applications.  Is there a patch/kernel configuration that I can
> change this behavior?

If you feel adventurous, you could try my reverse mapping VM:

http://surriel.com/patches/2.4/2.4.17-rmap-12f

The changelog can be found at http://surriel.com/patches/Changelog.rmap

kind regards,

Rik
--
"Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
    -- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/

-