From brent_thomson at byu.edu  Mon May 19 16:42:30 2003
From: brent_thomson at byu.edu (Brent Thomson)
Date: Mon May 19 15:57:47 2003
Subject: [uug] Article Input

As long as we're getting input for articles, I could use some as well. I've
been asked to write a short piece for a scientific journal on using Linux as
a desktop operating system in a lab/workstation environment. I thought I'd
include the usual stuff about there being plenty of software for word
processing, spreadsheets, presentations, web browsing, email, etc. and how
Linux is stable, secure, and free. I'd like two kinds of input:

1. Examples of real people using Linux as their desktop OS at work. The
people reading the journal are primarily chemists, chemical/industrial
engineers, and patent attorneys, so anything from these fields would be even
more relevant.

2. Any applications that would be extremely helpful for these scientific
types to have that may or may not be available only on Linux.

3. Anything else that would be a compelling reason to use Linux as your OS.

Now let me put some restrictions on things. First of all, this can't be
political. "Use Linux because Windoze is the Borg" is not a convincing
argument. Most of the people reading this have probably heard of Linux and
probably know of at least one friend/coworker who uses/preaches it. I'm
looking for examples like "Dr. John Doe of the Made-up Chemical Company
chose Linux because..."

Here's your chance to make yourself heard and get yourself listed as a
contributor to an article. You can send me off-list mail at
brent_thomson@byu.edu or you can post here and get second-order input from
your peers.

-Brent

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 14:42, Brent Thomson wrote:
> As long as we're getting input for articles, I could use some as well. I've
> been asked to write a short piece for a scientific journal on using Linux as
> a desktop operating system in a lab/workstation environment. I thought I'd
> include the usual stuff about there being plenty of software for word
> processing, spreadsheets, presentations, web browsing, email, etc. and how
> Linux is stable, secure, and free. I'd like two kinds of input:
>
> 1. Examples of real people using Linux as their desktop OS at work. The
> people reading the journal are primarily chemists, chemical/industrial
> engineers, and patent attorneys, so anything from these fields would be even
> more relevant.
>
> 2. Any applications that would be extremely helpful for these scientific
> types to have that may or may not be available only on Linux.

Here's a possible little moral dilemma I ran into today.  Say at work
you need to watch some windows media or sorenson movie for some reason
and you only have a Linux workstation.  It's not too hard to find the
codec and watch it with mplayer, but all the places you can get the
codecs from, at least that I've seen, have this little disclaimer that
this is possibly illegal for them to distribute.  At home I've had no
qualms about downloading the wind32-codecs rpm from the plf and getting
on with life, but at work I wonder if I could get me or my employer into
trouble by doing this.  Something to think about.

Bryan