From joshhansen at byu.edu  Tue Jul 15 09:52:13 2003
From: joshhansen at byu.edu (Josh Hansen)
Date: Tue Jul 15 08:52:14 2003
Subject: [uug] Linux 2.6.0-pre1

Hey,
Got the latest kernel and figured out that having hdb=ide-scsi as a boot
paremeter was causing the kernel to freeze in the middle of IDE
initialization. I have been trying to figure out what the problem was
ever since about 2.5.25.
    The main problem I have noticed so far with 2.6 is that my xterms
won't open properly. For example with the gnome terminal, the window
opens and everything looks dandy, but no prompt appears. Does this have
anything to do with the reorganization of the device systems ? Do these
apps need to be recompiled, or just reconfigured, or am I missing an
important module from my kernel?
    Oh, I have also noticed that the 'responsiveness' in xwindows is
much improved, probably thanks to the preemptible kernel option.
    Later!
    - Josh

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 08:52:13AM -0600, Josh Hansen wrote:
> Hey,
> Got the latest kernel and figured out that having hdb=ide-scsi as a boot
> paremeter was causing the kernel to freeze in the middle of IDE
> initialization. I have been trying to figure out what the problem was
> ever since about 2.5.25.
>    The main problem I have noticed so far with 2.6 is that my xterms
> won't open properly. For example with the gnome terminal, the window
> opens and everything looks dandy, but no prompt appears. Does this have
> anything to do with the reorganization of the device systems ? Do these
> apps need to be recompiled, or just reconfigured, or am I missing an
> important module from my kernel?
>    Oh, I have also noticed that the 'responsiveness' in xwindows is
> much improved, probably thanks to the preemptible kernel option.

If you really want preemption, I recommend you just patch your 2.4
kernel until your distribution officially supports the 2.6 kernel.  If
you are prepared to submit bug reports and suffer data loss and kernel
panicks, then use 2.6-pre*.

There are some really cool things in the 2.6 kernel (my personal
favorite are the Linux Security Module (LSM) hooks - I'm actually
writing an LSM to implement BSD Secure Levels at the moment ;-).  When
you can apt-get install kernel-2.6 from the Debian testing branch,
then it will be ready for prime-time.

Mike

--
------------------------------------------- | ---------------------
Michael Halcrow                             | mike@halcrow.us

"Campus sidewalks never exist as the        |
straightest line between two points."       |
  - M. M. Johnston                          |
------------------------------------------- | ---------------------
GnuPG Keyprint:  05B5 08A8 713A 64C1 D35D  2371 2D3C FDDA 3EB6 601D

From mike at halcrow.us  Tue Jul 15 16:14:13 2003
From: mike at halcrow.us (Michael Halcrow)
Date: Tue Jul 15 14:12:53 2003
Subject: [uug] Linux on Power

The Linux kernel was originally built on the 32-bit x86 platform.  It
has been ported to many different architectures since then.  It runs
pretty well on current IBM Power chips, but the LTC is now dedicated
to getting it to ``world-class'' status on Power4 (and future 64-bit
Power chips).

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2137546,00.html

It will be a glorious day indeed when I chuck my x86 chip in favor of
a real architecture.  Expect to see some cool stuff happening with
Linux and the Power4 and Power5 chips in the coming year.  My next
desktop PC may very well be a dual-processor G5... ;-)

Mike

--
------------------------------------------- | ---------------------

From bryan.murdock at hp.com  Tue Jul 15 14:43:54 2003
From: bryan.murdock at hp.com (Bryan Murdock)
Date: Tue Jul 15 14:44:37 2003

3 months at big blue and they've already got him talking Power PC over
all the rest.  Hey, I heard somewhere that IBM makes IA64 chips too (or
maybe they just sell them).  And what about those 64 bit AMDs?  Which 64
bit chip is it going to take over?  My guess is not the one that only
Apple backs :)

Bryan

From mike at halcrow.us  Tue Jul 15 16:55:34 2003
From: mike at halcrow.us (Michael Halcrow)
Date: Tue Jul 15 15:11:16 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:43:54PM -0700, Bryan Murdock wrote:
> 3 months at big blue and they've already got him talking Power PC over
> all the rest.  Hey, I heard somewhere that IBM makes IA64 chips too (or
> maybe they just sell them).  And what about those 64 bit AMDs?  Which 64
> bit chip is it going to take over?  My guess is not the one that only
> Apple backs :)

Oh, that's easy, Bryan.  It will be the one that best runs GNU/Linux,
of course!

--