From: info-...@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac)
Newsgroups: ont.micro.mac
Subject: flame about color Macs...
Date: Sat, 12-May-84 01:57:33 EDT
Sender: pet...@utcsrgv.UUCP

Date:           Fri, 11 May 84 10:47:37 PDT
From: Kenneth Clark <uw-beaver!clark@AEROSPACE>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

  I think that many of the people that wish for a color Mac are
perhaps not seeing things in perspective. The Mac is part of a
*system* concept, and is designed to integrate well with the
other components of that system. You could not just add a color
tube and hardware to Mac and have that be the end of it. Color
tubes draw more power, add a larger power supply. Bit planes
require more memory, and probably would require more horsepower
from the CPU to crunch that extra memory. Maybe all this extra
hardware/power would now require a fan, etc. Also, I think one of
Mac's great features is the ability to print out just exactly what
you see on the screen. So would we not need color printers also?
Maybe even a color laser printer for networking?

  My point is that these enhancements are more appropriate to
a system that is in general of a higher class than Mac. Such
an enhanced system could easily end up two or three times as
expensive as the Mac system. Let's face it, the Mac is the
Volkswagen of the computer industry, which is a valid and necessary
niche for a manufacturer to fill. But putting a Rolls Royce engine
in a Volkswagen does not give you a cheap Rolls Royce, it gives
you a very expensive Volkswagen...