From: c...@utah-gr.UUCP (Gary L Crum)
Newsgroups: net.micro.mac
Subject: mac-compatible design technique
Date: Sun, 2-Dec-84 17:29:01 EST

Is it legal to copy the Mac ROM data onto a diskette?  If so, perhaps a
'leach' technique could be used by a mac-compatible machine.

First, the buyer of the mac-compatible could be provided with a program
which would save the ROM routines (all 64K) on the provided disk.  This would
be a one-time operation for the customer.

Second, a mac-emulator program could then be run on the mac-compatible which
would load the ROM routines into a 'special' section of RAM that could sub-
sequently be write-protected (virtual ROM, if you will).  One might think of
the emulator disk as a 'MacWorks' for the proposed mac-compatible machine.

Oh, yes, the Macintosh is able to access its ROM faster than its RAM.  If
equal (or superior) performance is desired, then the clock rate of the mac-
compatible could be boosted (and the 68000-10 could be used, if necessary).

Once again, my original question:  Is it legal to copy the Mac ROM data onto
a diskette?  (The data would *not* be packaged with the machine; the customer
could merely find a friend's mac to get the data from)

Also, has anyone thought about designing a replacement-board for the Mac which
would upgrade the data bus lines to 32-bits (for the 68020, of course)?

		Thanks,
				Gary L. Crum
				c...@utah-cs.arpa
				c...@utah-cs.UUCP