From: j...@mordor.UUCP (John Bruner)
Newsgroups: net.micro.mac
Subject: uw - multi-window terminal emulator
Date: Fri, 19-Jul-85 21:26:49 EDT

In the past I have seen a number of articles in "net.micro.mac"
suggesting that someone should implement a multiple-window
terminal emulator on the Macintosh.  I have done so (for 4.2BSD
UNIX), and I am posting the result to "net.sources.mac".  (The
4.2BSD system must provide IPC and pseudo-terminals, but no
kernel changes are required.)

My program is called "uw".  It implements up to seven independent
terminal sessions on a Macintosh connected to a 4.2BSD host by a
serial line.  (It also works over dialups; however, it may not work
over a network because XON/XOFF flow control does poorly in network
environments.)  It emulates an ADM-31 terminal (a "smart" ADM-3A).
The UNIX side is handled by the programs "uw" (server) and "uwtool"
(used to start new windows from the UNIX end).

The distribution includes the source for the 4.2BSD programs
(imagine, *source* in "net.sources.mac":-).  I've only used it on
a VAX, but it should work on any 4.2BSD host.  I believe it can be
made to work on any UNIX which supports something like pseudo-
terminals.  (For instance, I believe I could make it work on the
PDP-11's in the Purdue Engineering Computer Network.  [Sorry.  Those
who know me understand why I had to put that in.])  The protocol
is simple (and is described in a header file included in the
distribution), so perhaps someone will try an implementation for
System V (?).

Since "uw" uses pseudo-ttys, I recommend that potential users
contact their system administrators about the effect on the
available ptys.  A UNIX system with only 16 pty's won't support
very many copies of "uw" running at once.

I believe "uw" will run on a 128K Macintosh, but I don't have one
available to test it.

There is no warranty, express or implied, associated with this
program.  In particular, I cannot promise that it is free from
security loopholes.

There are more things I'd like to do with this program.  If the
feedback is positive I'll probably post newer versions later.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb@mordor [j...@s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758