From: jwhit...@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: A Few Good Rumors...
Date: 10 Feb 88 21:54:42 GMT

From Feb 88 issue of Micro-Mini Systems:

Apple Finally Gets its UNIX act together - All on a disk

Apple Computer Inc, Curpertino Calif., chose the Uniforum show in Dallas this
month to introduce A/UX, its version of AT&T Co.'s UNIX System V.2
operating system.  A/UX is designed for Apple's high-end Macintosh II and
comes preconfigured on either an internal ($4,879) or an external ($5,549)
80M-byte rigid-disk drive upgrade packge for current users [Ouch! jdw]. ...
A/UX contains Berkeley UNIX extensions, Network File SYstem, Streams and the
Macintosh Toolbox, plus functions for automatic booting and recovery.
That leaves users with 10 M-bytes of free disk space [Ouch again! jdw].
By preconfiguring the disk, Apple hopes to spare users from hiring UNIX gurus.

From Feb 8, 1988 issue of MacintoshToday

Ashton-Tate reportedly buys Ann Arbor, hot WP program

Ashton-Tate of Torrance Calif. reportedly has acquired Ann Arbor Softworks, INc.
of Newbury Park, Calif. and will soon publish the company's FullWrite
Professional...

Sources said Ashton-Tate bought Ann Arbor and a number of its assets after
months of negotiations between the two firms.  Ann Arbor's graphics program
FullPaint is included in the aggreement, but FullCalc, the company's unpublished
spreadsheet, is not.

Ann Arbor's deal with Ashton-Tate could be worth up to $30 million including
royalties, sources said.  [Everyone who knows anything :-)] declined to comment.

For those who are interested in C Compilers, see also Dennis Cohen's article
comparing C compilers in MacintoshToday.

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant