From: k...@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.aux
Subject: Future direction of A/UX?
Date: 10 May 89 14:18:09 GMT

The computing world is getting more open.

I applaud Apple for disclosing its plans for MacOS in the
recent announcements concerning System 7.0.

I applaud the Unix International and Open Software Foundations
for being very public about defining their future releases.

On the other hand, I have seen nothing comparable from Apple
about the directions of A/UX. Actually, beyond some vague
comments on increased MacOS compatibility, I have heard nothing
about the feature content of future versions of A/UX. Certainly
nothing about the Unix only features.

I certainly could ask many questions. Will A/UX support:
  -- Motorola ABI
  -- SVID R3
  -- SVID R4
  -- New NFS features: Secure NFS, Netboot, NFS swap, ..
  -- RFS
  -- BSD features in SysVR4 : BSD fast file system, ..
  -- X/NeWS server
  -- ...

I encourage the Apple A/UX product management to follow the
precedent set by the Apple MacOS, UI, and OSF groups, and
better define what their users can expect in future releases.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | k...@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP