From: m...@spt.entity.com (Marty Connor)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: IIcx ROM Question
Date: 10 Jan 91 16:11:26 GMT

I apologize in advance if this topic is old news.  Please feel free to
send private mail or post as you wish.

I have heard that the ROMs in the IIcx are not 32 bit clean, and thus
when I boot sys 7.0 I will only see 8 megs of memory even if I have 20
megs installed on a IIcx.

Can someone verify this?

Another question:  Let's say the ROMs are not clean (the ROM memory
manager has certain assumptions built in, and AUX uses all physical
memory because it doesn't use ROM mem mgr, but MACOS uses ROM memory
mgr, and so can't go into 32 bit mode safely).

Would it be possible to patch things on a IIcx by reading the ROMs
into memory and have the MMU re-map the ROM address space, apply the
patch, and run with ROM code in RAM?  or is a ROM upgrade for the IIcx
a more tractable solution?

I ask this because when System 7.0 is released and a bunch of IIcx
users boot their machines with 20mb of physical memory, it would be a
real shame if the finder showed 8mb as it does under 6.0.x.

--
Marty Connor, Marty's Computer Workshop, Home of the Wrist Pad[tm] Plus!
126 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139