From: mjoh...@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.announce
Subject: Apple makes Connectix MODE32 available on FTP.APPLE.COM
Date: 6 Sep 91 02:03:55 GMT
Expires: 6 Dec 91 04:50:52 GMT
Sender: wer...@cs.utexas.edu

	[ also available on RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU in dir.  mac/NEW/9109
	  files named   Apple_and_MODE32.*;  if I understand the press
	  release right, distribution will also be possible on
	  comp.binaries.mac shortly.    ---Werner ]

It is true, Apple is now distributing, free of charge, MODE32 from Connectix
Corporation and it is available on the Apple FTP site (ftp.apple.com IP is
130.43.2.3) in /ftp/dts/mac/mode32/apple-mode32.*. Please read the press
release below for more information.

In addition, ftp.apple.com now contains System 7.0 versions of the Danish,
German-Swiss, and Spanish system software.  These are found in the standard
directory /ftp/dts/mac/sys.soft.intl/

Enjoy...
_______________
For Immediate Release

Contact:    John Cook
        Apple Computer, Inc.
        408-974-3145

        Roy McDonald
        Connectix Corporation
        800-950-5880 (voice)
        415-324-2958 (fax)
        AppleLink: CONNECTIX

CONNECTIX MODE32 TO BE DISTRIBUTED AT NO CHARGE BY APPLE

CUPERTINO, California -- September 5, 1991 -- Apple Computer, Inc.
and Connectix Corporation today announced a distribution agreement
under which Apple has acquired the rights to distribute at no charge

Connectix's popular Apple(R) Macintosh(R) software utility,
MODE32(TM). The software provides users of Apple's Macintosh II,
IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 systems access to the powerful memory
addressing features of System Software 7.0.

Under the terms of the agreement Connectix has provided Apple
with a version of the software licensed for unlimited copying by
Apple, its authorized resellers and any end-user.  Apple is
distributing copies of the software to major Macintosh installations,
user groups, and reseller locations worldwide.MODE32 will also be
made available on the CompuServe, America OnLine, AppleLink and
other electronic bulletin board services (see Editors's Note below).

Financial details of the announcement were not disclosed.

MODE32 is Connectix's fourth major commercial memory
management utility for the Macintosh. The software lets users of
Macintosh IIx, IIcx and SE/30 systems access up to 128 MB of
physical RAM using System 7 and Mac II customers up to 72MB,
which was not possible previously on these four systems. MODE32 is
not needed for the Macintosh LC, IIci, IIsi, IIfx; it is not useful on the

Macintosh Plus, SE, Classic or Portable.

Apple further announced that a future release of its system software
would incorporate similar capabilities to MODE32. 32-bit addressing
is a feature of System 7.0 that allows the Macintosh to access up to
128 MB of physical memory or up to 1024 megabytes (one gigabyte)
of virtual memory. Without MODE32 or equivalent software, certain
Macintosh models (II, IIx, IIcx and SE/30) do not have the internal

capabilities to take advantage of 32-bit addressing.

"This agreement with Connectix is a win for our customers," said Eric
Harslem, Apple vice president, Desktop Systems. "We see our work
with Connectix as providing an immediate and proven solution to
those customers who have switched to System 7 and want to add
more RAM now. Over time, we'll take additional steps to integrate a
solution into our standard our system software."

"Making MODE32 available to the entire Macintosh community was
the best approach for Apple to take," noted Roy K. McDonald,
President of Connectix. "This agreement demonstrates that today,
Apple is strengthening its commitment to supporting its users by
working closely with third party system software developers."

Current owners of MODE32 can receive a refund from Apple for their
purchase.  US customers should contact The Apple Customer
Assistance Center at (800) 776-2333. Customers will be directed to
return the original product diskette for an automatic refund of $100.
If a valid sales receipt for a larger amount is enclosed (up to the
original list price of $169 plus tax) the full purchase price will be
refunded. To qualify for the refund the product must have been
purchased prior to September 5, 1991, and the diskette must be
received by Apple or postmarked no later than December 31, 1991.
Customers outside the US should contact their local sales office for
program details.

The Apple USA Customer Assistance Center will provide all users of
the product installation and usage support as well as answering
questions on virtual memory, RAM installation or other System 7.0
related features.

This distribution agreement pertains only to MODE32.  Connectix's
other Macintosh utilities -- MAXIMA, HAND-Off II, OPTIMA and
VIRTUAL -- are unaffected by this agreement and continue to be
sold through their normal commercial distribution channels.  These
utilities are not licensed for copying, posting on bulletin boards or
any other unauthorized distribution.

Connectix designs, manufacturers, distributes and publishes
innovative products for the Macintosh family of computers.  Effective
September 1, 1991 Connectix has relocated to new facilities at 2655
Campus Drive in San Mateo, California 94403. For more information
call Connectix at (800) 950-5880, international (415) 571-5100, fax
(415) 571-5195, or AppleLink CONNECTIX.

Apple Computer, Inc. is a leading manufacturer of advanced
computer systems for educational institutions, business and the
home.

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo and Macintosh are registered trademarks of
Apple Computer, Inc.

MODE32, OPTIMA 2.0, MAXIMA 2.0 and Virtual 3.0 are a trademark
of Connectix Corporation.

Editors' Note: As of today, Apple and Connectix have begun an
aggressive campaign to post MODE32 on many electronic services:
 o  AppleLink.  MODE32 can be found in the "Apple Products" area
under "System 7 Information,"
    "Software," "Third Party Software Upgrades for 7.0," "Connectix
MODE32"
     MODE32 can also be found under the Connectix Icon in the "Third
Parties" area beginning
    September 10.
 o  Internet  MODE32 can be found on the Apple FTP site
(ftp.apple.com, IP 130.43.2.3) in the
    /ftp/dts/mac/mode32 directory.  Use account anonymous and
your site name as a password.
 o  America Online (path, "System 7," "System 7 and Related
Software," "System 7 and
    Supporting Software")
 o  Compuserve ("GO MACAVEN", select Section 8)
 o  BIX

Apple/Connectix Agreement
Questions & Answers
9.5.91

Q.  What is Apple announcing today?
A.  Apple is announcing 3 things:

    o We recognize our commitment to fulfill the obligation to
Macintosh II, IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 customers who want to address
additional physical dynamic random-access memory (DRAM).

    o Apple has signed an agreement with Connectix under which
their product, MODE32 (introduced 2 months ago), will be made
available at no charge to all Apple customers. MODE32 lets the
Macintosh IIx, IIcx, and SE/30 address up to 128 MB of physical
DRAM and the Macintosh II address up to 68 MB of physical DRAM.

    o Apple will incorporate, in a future version of system software,
long-term support for additional memory addressing for these
models.

Q.  What about Connectix customers who have already purchased
MODE32 at the retail price?
A.  Customers who purchased MODE32 prior to today can get a
refund from Apple simply by sending their original MODE32 disk to
Apple at:

    Apple Computer, Inc.
    Attn:  MODE32 Refund Program
    20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 73P
    Cupertino, CA 95014

(Outside the USA, please contact your nearest Apple business office.)
Apple will send you a check for $100 within 8 to 12 weeks. If you
paid more than $100, simply send your receipt along with the disk
and we will refund the full amount of the receipt up to $169.00.

Q.  If I have questions, whom do I call?
A.  Call Apple at 1-800-776-2333.

Q.  Where can I get a copy of MODE32?
A.  As of today, Apple and Connectix have begun an aggressive
campaign to post MODE32 on many electronic services:

o  AppleLink.  MODE32 can be found in the "Apple Products" area
under "System 7 Information,"
    "Software," "Third Party Software Upgrades for 7.0," "Connectix
MODE32"
     MODE32 can also be found under the Connectix Icon in the "Third
Parties" area
    beginning September 10.
o  Internet  MODE32 can be found on the Apple FTP site
(ftp.apple.com, IP 130.43.2.3) in the
    /ftp/dts/mac/mode32 directory.  Use account anonymous and
your site name as a password.
 o  America Online (path, "System 7," "System 7 and Related
Software," "System 7 and
    Supporting Software")
 o  Compuserve ("GO MACAVEN", select Section 8)
 o  BIX

MODE32 was also sent, via AppleLink, to all Macintosh user groups
around the world. Apple field personnel will receive a disk copy of
MODE32 on or about September 13th.

Q.  Where can I get an instruction manual?
A.  A "Read Me (MODE32)" file is available on line with MODE32 and
contains all the necessary installation instructions.

Q.  Are there any known compatibility issues with MODE32?
A.  We know of only 2 compatibility issues with MODE32. None of
these compatibility issues is serious and we expect that all will be
addressed by the manufacturers of the individual products.

    1.  Disklock.  When Disklock is activated, MODE32 is disabled.
    2.  MacDraw Pro.  When text is selected, in certain modes, the
selection is offset
    by a small amount.

Note: Additional memory addressing above 8 MB is available only
when your Macintosh has 32-bit addressing turned on.  Some
applications may not run correctly in 32-bit mode.  Therefore,
applications that are not 32-bit compatible will not run properly
even when MODE32 is present.

Q.  How does MODE32 work?
A.  MODE32 is a control panel that works with System 7.  Like all
control panels, installing MODE32 under System 7 is easy.  Just drag
it to the System Folder.  MODE32 must be turned on from its control
panel.  Open the control panel and select "enable."  Then, wies you make to the
Memory control panel to take effect.

Q.  When do I need MODE32?
A.  If you own a Macintosh II, IIx, IIcx, or SE/30 and you wish to
install more than 8 MB of physical DRAM or access more than 13 MB
of virtual memory.

Q.  Do I need MODE32 for other Macintosh models?
A.  No. Some models (LC, IIsi, IIci, or IIfx) already have the ability to

address more RAM without MODE32. The Macintosh Plus, Classic, SE
and Portable models do not benefit from MODE32.

Q.  Does this affect the commercial status of any other Connectix
products?
A.   No.  Connectix will continue to sell four other Macintosh utilities,
HAND Off II, Optima 2.0, Maxima 2.0, and Virtual 3.0, as commercial
products. These are licensed for single-user, single-system use and
may not be copied or distributed through bulletin board services.

-30-

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjoh...@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_