From: c...@apple.com (Chris Warren)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Human Interface Survey
Date: 16 Sep 91 22:08:29 GMT
Sender: use...@Apple.COM

Dear fellow netters,
    I am an human interface designer at Apple Computer who
is doing some research on people's mental model of networks.  To this end
I wanted to throw up the following questions for public responses.  I am not
interested in any particular answer.  In fact, I want is to to get as many
different answers as possible, no matter how strange.

Anyway, here are the questions.

Suppose you are trying to explain the network to someone who is completely
unfamiliar with computers.

1) How would you describe it to them?

2) Would you use any analogies to objects or ideas in the real world?

3) How would you describe various tasks that people use networks for?
   (Netnews, Telnet, FTP, Hooking up to a database, EMail,
   Printing to a shared printer, etc)

4) If you answered yes to question 2 then how do these tasks fit into
   the analogy?

5) How would you explain to someone how to find something on the net that
   they were looking for?  (Example the ftp site that has program X)

6) Now if the user had some experience using applications on a computer but
   no network experience, would any of your answers to the above change?

Optional background question

7)	What 3 computers do you use the most, and what do you use them for?

Please reply via EMail to c...@apple.com

Also please post any analogies that you come up with.  I am interested
in seeing what kind of discussion develops.

Thanks in advance
     Chris Warren

>    I am an human interface designer at Apple Computer who
>is doing some research on people's mental model of networks.  To this end
>I wanted to throw up the following questions for public responses.  I am not
>interested in any particular answer.  In fact, I want is to to get as many
>different answers as possible, no matter how strange.

Hmm this smells like a very cheap way of doing researh on Human Interface !!!!

In my oppinion I would suggest that, YOU, the people boycot this.
If APPLE (a company with huge amounts of money) wan't to do researh, let
them pay the price.

[ Stuff deleted ]

>Thanks in advance
>     Chris Warren

Say NO to User Interface Copyright !
Boycot Lotus, Apple, Xerox, Ashton-Tate, and others !

\Ruben.

PS: I'm not a communist, I just don't fancy monopolies.
    In fact communism is just like monopolism: One little group is controlling
    the rest of the comunity.
    Would YOU, as a person with FREE-WILL and THOUGH like that ONE company
    controlled HOW you should to your WORK ?

DS

--
    Ove Ruben R Olsen, Proffessional VI user.  EMAIL: rube...@viggo.blh.no
    Also known as "The Gnarfer from Hell".  (Registred character of ORRO.)

>    I am an human interface designer at Apple Computer who
>is doing some research on people's mental model of networks.  To this end
>I wanted to throw up the following questions for public responses.  I am not
>interested in any particular answer.  In fact, I want is to to get as many
>different answers as possible, no matter how strange.

Hi all,
	I'd just like to say, please don't help this person from apple.
Support the Free Software Foundation and boycott Apple. Just My 2 cents worth...

Regards,
	Matthew.