Newsgroups: comp.sys.super
From: eug...@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya)
Subject: So the news says....
Sender: ne...@nas.nasa.gov
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 92 18:14:28 GMT

That IBM is formally getting into the supercomputer market.
Time to suspend IBM jokes and see what they can do.

Details?
Which Division?  What Lab?  Who are the architects?  What approaches are they
they taking to achieve balance?  What specific application area is
driving their development (surely not the DOD/DOE nuclear weapons community).
Software (will they run MVS & parallel COBOL [ooops! sorry.])?
What about mass storage (rates and volumes)?  Time tables?  Do I have
to sign more non-disclosure to learn this (sure will)?  Will they change their
policy on benchmark disclosure?

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eug...@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  Resident Cynic, Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene