Newsgroups: comp.arch
From: adi...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Aaron T Dingus)
Subject: The Death of the Mainframe...
Sender: ne...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Date: Fri, 29 May 1992 06:59:47 GMT

Alright, are mainframes doomed due to ultra-powerful workstations?

There are rumors that IBM is going to massively pull out of the mainframe
business leaving a big void.

What do you guys and gals think?
--
adi...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Any discussion on this topic via electronic mail is welcomed.

>Alright, are mainframes doomed due to ultra-powerful workstations?
>
>There are rumors that IBM is going to massively pull out of the mainframe
>business leaving a big void.
>
>What do you guys and gals think?
>--
>adi...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
>
>Any discussion on this topic via electronic mail is welcomed.

I think mainframes will outlive us all.  I am surprised they don't have
mainframes in Star Trek.  Business customers aren't concerned with trivial
issues like price and performance.  All they want is ``backward
compatibility.''

Sam

P.S., What we call a mainframe may change.
--
Dr. Samuel A. Fineberg             Department of Elect. and Comp. Engr.
fine...@eng.uiowa.edu             University of Iowa