Newsgroups: comp.unix.large,comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.dec,
comp.unix.osf.osf1,comp.unix.osf.misc
From: jo...@iastate.edu (John Hascall)
Subject: Big I/O or Kicking the Mainframe out the Door
Sender: ne...@news.iastate.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1993 15:26:52 GMT

We would very dearly like to kick our `eat us out of house and home'
mainframe out the door.  After our library-automation system's port
to Unix is finished, our mainframes only real attraction (neglecting
the `I don't want to learn anything new' hangers-on), is it's I/O
capabilities.

Hence, I come to you with the following questions.  Does anyone have
any experience with or pointers to these items for workstations
(ideally for DEC Alpha boxes running OSF/1):

    * Disk systems faster than SCSI (IPI?  Raid?  ???)

    * 3480 cartridge tape devices whose speed is
      similar to the mainframe versions AND which
      are robust enough for hundreds of tape operations
      a day (insertions/deinsertions)

    * 9-track tapes drives with the similar speed
      and robustness.

    * also information on silo technology (either 3480
      or other media).   We currently have some 2000
      3480 cartridges (probably 90+% of the requests
      could be satisfied with a 500-unit silo though,
      leaving the rest for the operator).  We also
      have about 700 4mm DAT tapes we use currently
      for backing up our Unix system currently.

Thanks in advance for any information (vendor replies
welcome too, BTW),
John

--
John Hascall                   ``An ill-chosen word is the fool's messenger.''
Systems Software Engineer