Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: petr...@netcom.com (Loren Petrich)
Subject: How Do the Old Mainframes Compare to Today's Micros?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 05:34:02 GMT

	I'm asking here because I'm sure that there might be _someone_
around here who would know.

	I've been looking in some local libraries for performance stats on
various "classic" mainframes and minicomputers (Eniac, orig. Univac, IBM
360, IBM 370, DEC-10, PDP-10, PDP-11, VAX, Control Data CDC's, etc.),
without much success. Does anyone have any figures or does anyone know of
some books which contain such figures? I ask because I wish to compare
today's microprocessor-based computers to those old models. Do we truly
have a "mainframe on a desktop" nowadays?

	Here's some of what I have in mind:

CPU speed (how many operations/s)
RAM size (how many bytes)
Disk-drive capacity (just typical figures)

Comparative bulk and power consumption would also be helpful.

	It would be interesting to consider how much electricity a typical
computer chip would consume if it used vacuum tubes (a.k.a. firebottles or
glassfets). 1 million vacuum tubes at 1 watt/tube (probably an
underestimate) adds up to quite a lot. At 10 cents/kwh (a common price),
run 8 hours a day on weekdays, that adds up to a monthly electric bill of
$16,000. And that's not even counting the RAM. 8 megabytes is 64 megabits,
and at 2-3 tubes/bit, this is 100-200 million tubes -- an electric bill of
$2-$3 million a month!

	And the bulk? Assume 1 foot by 2 in by 2 in (30 cm by 5 cm by 5
cm) per tube -- one needs to be able to replace bad tubes. The result, 750
m^3, or if fitting on one floor, 20m*20m*2m (60ft*60ft*6ft) -- huge! Its
minimum dimensions would be (9m)^3 ((27)ft^3) -- which means that a ray of
light would take 30 nanoseconds to cross it. This means that the
processing speed in operations/s has to be _less_ than 30 MHz, or else it
could not communicate with itself. And the most recent generation of CPU
chips are _faster_ than that.

	And how long could it run before a tube burned out? If it takes, on
the average, 10,000 hours for each one to do so, then the Mean Time
Between Failures would be, for 1 million tubes, 36 seconds! And that
would not even count the time needed to track down the burnt-out tube!

	I once saw an amusing parallel that suggested that if cars had
been improved as much as computers, then [well, I forgot, but something
very dramatic].

--
Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster
petr...@netcom.com                   Happiness is a fast Macintosh