Greetings, and a question about os/360

By Giorgio De Nunzio

Dec 3, 1999

Hi all, I just found the hercules/390 web pages and, being interested in
mainframe emulation, I downloaded the program, even if the lack of time
will not let me try and install it right now.. :-(

A question: in the web pages it is said:

> Alternatively, you could compile Hercules in S/370 mode and try running
OS/360,
> which is in the public domain and (if my understanding is correct) can be
run

and later a certain Rich Fochtman's OS/360 archive CD is cited.

I have never used OS/360, but I'd like to give it a try, at the same time
testing the emulator.

Where can I find the OS/360 system? What is Fochtman's CD?

Thanks a lot and good work to you all.

Giorgio

2:30 pm

Re: Greetings, and a question about os/360

Alex Friis

Dec 3, 1999

Hi Giorgio!

Goto http://www.snipix.freeserve.co.uk/hercules/mftr33.tar.gz

>What is Fochtman's CD?
AFAIK it's the full blown OS/360 (MFT) granted to public domain by IBM.
I don't know when.
A way to signup for the CD is to mailto:Rick.Fochtman@...
I guess that the MFT r33 on the Hercules-site came from the very same
CD?
I signed up for it myself - didn't receive it yet.
I don't know if there's sourcecode on the CD too?

By the way - anybody know when did IBM cease their distribution of the
source together with their SCP's?

--
med venlig hilsen/best regards
Alex Friis

2:53 pm

Re: Greetings, and a question about os/360

Giorgio De Nunzio

Dec 3, 1999

>Goto http://www.snipix.freeserve.co.uk/hercules/mftr33.tar.gz

Thanks, taken!

>AFAIK it's the full blown OS/360 (MFT) granted to public domain by IBM.

What does this CD contain, apart from mftr33.tar.gz or equivalent? Is this
latter file an incomplete OS/360?

>A way to signup for the CD is to mailto:Rick.Fochtman@...

I'll write to him. What are the costs involved? No other way to get the
material (e.g. ftp)? (of course there is none, otherwise you would not
still be there waiting for the CD... ;-)

Giorgio

3:33 pm

Re: Greetings, and a question about os/360

Jay Maynard

Dec 3, 1999

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 03:53:52PM +0100, Alex Friis wrote:
> By the way - anybody know when did IBM cease their distribution of the
> source together with their SCP's?

I don't know when they stopped doing it in machine-readable form, but OCO
(object code only) distribution happened during the early days of MVS/XA, in
the early 80s, IIRC; but sometime before that, you could only get source on
microfiche. The rationale was twofold: 1) the system was increasingly
written in PL/S, not assembler, and since they didn't release any PL/S
tools, the source code wasn't of use, and 2) the main reason for sites to
have source code was to implement site-specific customizations, and they
wanted customers to use supplied exits for that purpose instead. Customers
bitched, but eventually went along because they had no choice. This is also
about the time that MVS systems programmers could get by with knowing almost
no assembler, as long as they could fly SMP. (Was that really HMASMP I saw
in the MFT SYS1.LINKLIB?! What sort of functionality does it have?)

4:26 pm

Re: Greetings, and a question about os/360

Roger Bowler

Dec 3, 1999

Giorgio De Nunzio wrote:

>and later a certain Rich Fochtman's OS/360 archive CD is cited.

Giorgio, I see Alex has already answered your question.

My apologies to Rick Fochtman for misspelling his name on my
web page, I have now corrected this.

Regards, Roger.

4:35 pm

Re: Greetings, and a question about os/360

Giorgio De Nunzio

Dec 3, 1999

>Giorgio, I see Alex has already answered your question.

Yes, Roger, thanks. But the the other questions remained without an answer:

> What does this CD contain, apart from mftr33.tar.gz or equivalent? Is this
> latter file an incomplete OS/360?

>> A way to signup for the CD is to mailto:Rick.Fochtman@...
> I'll write to him. What are the costs involved? No other way to get the
> material (e.g. ftp)? (of course there is none, otherwise you would not
> still be there waiting for the CD... ;-)

Sorry for repeating my questions, I'll never do it again..!

Thanks
Giorgio

5:00 pm

Jay Maynard wrote:
>Was that really HMASMP I saw in the MFT SYS1.LINKLIB?!

Yes, SMP actually predates OS/VS, although in a fairly
rudimentary form as I recall.

Interestingly, it was the first utility to have a name beginning
with "H" instead of "I" as had been customary up till then,
thus suggesting that it was really an OS/VS utility that hit the
streets early.

And, to continue the trainspotter theme, has anyone ever
noticed that the name "Amdahl" is formed from the prefixes
of the MVS print dump and GTF utilities? I think this has
to be more than coincidence :-)

Cheers,
Roger.

8:49 pm

Re: Greetings, and a question about os/360

Roger Bowler

Dec 3, 1999

Giorgio De Nunzio disse:
>What does this CD contain, apart from mftr33.tar.gz or
>equivalent? Is this latter file an incomplete OS/360?

mftr33 is a 3330 minidisk image containing the minimum
datasets necessary to IPL. Rick's CD contains all of the
OS/360 dlibs and reslibs in XMI (TSO Transmit) format,
plus all of the source modules in ASCII text format.

>I'll write to him. What are the costs involved?

A few months ago Rick offered copies of the CD to anyone
interested, for a nominal fee to cover his duplication and
postal costs. You can contact him to find out whether this
offer is still open.

Cheers, Roger.

10:08 pm

Copyright 1999