Finally got the OS/360 CD and other stuff.

Alex Friis

Jan 9, 2000

Happy New Year to all Herculers!

Yes - your nigthmare came true - I'm back again ;-)

Having just installed RH Linux 6.1 together with Hercules 1.44 on this brand new
Netfinity 3000 server.
Also got MFT r.33 ipl'ed - so, now I hope, I can contribute with a whole bunch a
dumb questions in the near future :-O

Finally I can inform you, that I, a week or so ago, at last received the OS/360
CD.
So if anybody should be interested - drop me a line - and I'll burn a copy for
you.

med venlig hilsen/best regards
Alex Friis
'per aspera ad astra'

[offSite.slow.safe] mailto:alex_friis@...
[on+offSite.slow.safe] mailto:worklex@...
[onSite.fast.safe] mailto:af@...

phone: +45 7611 9793
fax: +44 870 133 0177

12:33 am

Message: 2
>Yes - your nigthmare came true - I'm back again ;-)
I wondered where you had gone...thought maybe Denmark
had been destroyed by the millennium bug :-)

>Having just installed RH Linux 6.1 together with Hercules 1.44
>on this brand new Netfinity 3000 server.
Lucky you! What is the processor speed and storage size?

>a week or so ago, at last received the OS/360 CD.
Excellent! It's good, isn't it?

Med venlig hilsen
Roger

Re: Finally got the OS/360 CD and other stuff.

Alex Friis

Nov 1, 1999

Roger skrev disse ord:

>>Having just installed RH Linux 6.1 together with Hercules 1.44
>>on this brand new Netfinity 3000 server.
>Lucky you! What is the processor speed and storage size?

Some Pentium III-600mhz and 192MB of RAM

>>a week or so ago, at last received the OS/360 CD.
>Excellent! It's good, isn't it?
Yes I'm happy to have it now - but I haven't got the time to explore it yet.
We have just finished a CPU-deal - having bought an Amdahl Omniprise 1015
processor.
When it arrives, I'll define a fourth domain - and guess what is going to run
here?
Yes - LINUX/390 - I hope so. After all, I downloaded the code from IBM a
forthnight or so ago.
And then - Roger - we'll *simply* just migrate Hercules to be able to run on
Linux/390. Then in due time, we will be skyjumping:
OS/360 on Hercules390 on Linux/390 on S/390 ;-)

-alex

______________________________

med venlig hilsen/best regards
Alex Friis
'per aspera ad astra'

[offSite.slow.safe] mailto:alex_friis@...
[on+offSite.slow.safe] mailto:worklex@...
[onSite.fast.safe] mailto:af@...

phone: +45 7611 9793
fax: +44 870 133 0177

8:57 pm

Re: Finally got the OS/360 CD and other stuff.

Daniel Rudin

Jan 1, 1970

Hi Alex,

nice nightmares...and a happy new year up to denmark too...

r0d gr0d med fl0d..or so...

how many Megs is the CD ? Thinking about offering it on FTP....havn't yet
received mine thou :-(

greets from Switzerland

Daniel

From: "Alex Friis" <alex_friis@...>

Happy New Year to all Herculers!

Yes - your nigthmare came true - I'm back again ;-)

Having just installed RH Linux 6.1 together with Hercules 1.44 on this brand
new Netfinity 3000 server.
Also got MFT r.33 ipl'ed - so, now I hope, I can contribute with a whole bunch
a dumb questions in the near future :-O

Finally I can inform you, that I, a week or so ago, at last received the OS/360
CD.
So if anybody should be interested - drop me a line - and I'll burn a copy for
you.

med venlig hilsen/best regards
Alex Friis
'per aspera ad astra'

[offSite.slow.safe] mailto:alex_friis@...
[on+offSite.slow.safe] mailto:worklex@...
[onSite.fast.safe] mailto:af@...

phone: +45 7611 9793Ð)0D
fax: +44 870 133 0177

Hey Freelancers: Find your next project through JobSwarm!
You can even make money in your sleep by referring friends.

Files and archives at:
http://www.onelist.com/community/hercules-390

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.snipix.freeserve.co.uk/hercules.htm

4:59 am

Re: Finally got the OS/360 CD and other stuff.

Alex Friis

Jan 10, 2000

Good Morning Daniel - nice to read your writings again.

>how many Megs is the CD ? Thinking about offering it on FTP....havn't yet
>received mine thou :-(

It's about 429 blownup megs.
I'll give it a try with WinZip, later this morning, to see how muxh air
included.
Unfortunately we - at my site - haven't got room for a file doing hundreds of
megs on a public reachable server [still not convinced my colleagues that
OS/390 is *THE* FIREWALL]. But maybe you could assist with a public server?

- alex

______________________________

med venlig hilsen/best regards
Alex Friis
'per aspera ad astra'

[offSite.slow.safe] mailto:alex_friis@...
[on+offSite.slow.safe] mailto:worklex@...
[onSite.fast.safe] mailto:af@...

phone: +45 7611 9793
fax: +44 870 133 0177

4:23 am

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:38:08 -0600
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxx.xxx

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 05:23:31AM +0100, Alex Friis wrote:
> Unfortunately we - at my site - haven't got room for a file doing hundreds
> of megs on a public reachable server [still not convinced my colleagues
> that OS/390 is *THE* FIREWALL]. But maybe you could assist with a public
> server?

Well, my ISP just let me know I have 200 meg of web space now, so if it
compresses that far, I could put it up...or maybe some of us could do
different parts of it and make it avaiable that way.

...tha is, once my copy arrives...

Re: Finally got the OS/360 CD and other stuff.

Giorgio De Nunzio

Jan 12, 2000

Hi all. With Alex Friis (hi Alex!) we succeeded in compressing the OS/360
CD and transferring it onto a server here in Lecce (south Italy).
I have now to control that the transfer went ok, and then decide on which
machine I can put the 117 MB. Then I'll give the possibility of getting the
file to all the interested people in this list. I think I'll do this next
friday afternoon. In the meantime, who wishes to get the file can send me
e-mail.

By the way
1) where can I find info about OS/360? I was born (from the mainframe point
of view) with MVS (and my dream is to see MVS working with hercules..)
2) at what degree is OS/360 compatible with hercules, as to the tests you
have already made?

Thanks and good ... herculing!
Ciao
Giorgio