OS/360 CD available for download

Jay Maynard

Jan 14, 2000

If you have lots of patience or a big pipe or both, the OS/360 CD is now
available for download. It's a 117 MB compressed tar file. Point your
browser at http://jmaynard.home.texas.net/os360.gz and have fun.

Thanks to Rich Fochtman for compiling it, Alex Friis for extracting it, and
Giorgio (argh, forgot your last name, Giorgio; my apologies) for making it
available.

9:36 pm

OS/360 CD available for download

Daniel Rudin

Jan 15, 2000

I'm very happy to announce the availibility of an European Server with the
OS/360 CD. It's the known 117 MB compressed tar file.

Credits goes to Rich Fochtman for compiling it, Alex Friis for extracting it,
and Giorgio De Nunzio for internal distribution.

Have Fun

Daniel Rudin
CyberDyne Systems

2:10 am

Re: OS/360 CD available for download

Giorgio De Nunzio

Jan 15, 2000

> I'm very happy to announce the availibility of an European Server with the
OS/360 CD. It's the known 117 MB compressed tar file.

Well done, Daniel!

And now that all of us hold the famous CD, can somebody tell me:

1) where can I find *ANY* info about OS/360 without buying the doc????
Nobody can share any material about it?

2) probably this was already said on the list, but I cannot
remember; how does Hercules behaves when fed up with OS/360? Any
experiment has already been made?

I am going to buy my 2nd hard disk and install RedHat 6 on it. I remember
that this is a good platform for compiling Hercules. Is it true?
Anyway, before beginning the work, I must know something about this OS. I
only know (more or less...) MVS.

Ciao

Giorgio De Nunzio
University of Lecce (Italy)

6:57 pm

Re: OS/360 CD available for download

Giorgio De Nunzio

Jan 15, 2000

Hi Daniel (and everybody else).
You can also download os/360 from my ftp site. Let me directly know, if
interested.
Slow but I worked till now.

Giorgio De Nunzio

Dipartimento di Scienza dei Materiali
Universita' di Lecce, via Arnesano
tel 0832-320545

e-mail giorgio.denunzio@...

7:34 am

Re: OS/360 CD available for download

Alex Friis

Jan 16, 2000

Hi Giorgio!

1> ) where can I find *ANY* info about OS/360 without buying the
> doc????

Go: http://www.google.com/search?q=os%2F360

BTW - I bought the OS/370 POP [principles of operation] from IBM - you
can order onWeb - www.ibm.com, it was 40 EURO's or so.

--
med venlig hilsen/best regards
Alex Friis

[offSite.slow.safe] mailto:alex_friis@...
[on+offSite.slow.safe] mailto:worklex@...
[onSite.fast.safe] mailto:af@...

[web] http://www.geocities.com/alexfriis

[phone] +45 76 119 793
[fax.voice] +44 870 133 0177

5:05 pm

Re: OS/360 CD available for download

Giorgio De Nunzio

Jan 17, 2000

>Go: http://www.google.com/search?q=os%2F360
Thanks Alex, I'll start from this.

>BTW - I bought the OS/370 POP [principles of operation] from IBM - you
OK, thanks. Is it a printed book or in electronic format? In this latter
case, I could perhaps share the costs with other interested people...

Thanks
Giorgio

8:14 am

Re: OS/360 CD available for download

Pat Barron

Jan 17, 2000

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Giorgio De Nunzio wrote:
> From: Giorgio De Nunzio <giorgio.denunzio@...>
> >Go: http://www.google.com/search?q=os%2F360
> Thanks Alex, I'll start from this.
>
> >BTW - I bought the OS/370 POP [principles of operation] from IBM - you
> OK, thanks. Is it a printed book or in electronic format? In this latter
> case, I could perhaps share the costs with other interested people...

The OS/370 POP is hardcopy-only, as far as I know. I'll dig out the URL
for ordering it again, if anyone wants it - it's not very costly.

The OS/390 POP is available on-line, and you can browse it for free.
Again, I don't have the URL handy right now, but you can start at
http://www.s390.ibm.com.

Disclaimer: Yes, I do work for IBM ...

--Pat.

3:23 pm

Now available for download...

Jay Maynard

Feb 24, 2000

Thanks to Malcolm Beattie for letting us use FTP space for MVT...and now,
for your downloading pleasure from ftp.ox.ac.uk:/pub/linux/hercos360 :

02/24/00 09:53AM 5,818,739 mvsdlbsrc.tar.gz
02/23/00 10:18PM 26,481,155 mvsdlibs.tar.gz
02/15/00 01:15PM 117,043,126 os360.tar.gz
02/23/00 10:17PM 24,097 os360ctl.tar.gz
02/23/00 10:17PM 11,776,527 os360dlibs.tar.gz
02/23/00 10:17PM 19,052,606 os360mvt.tar.gz
02/23/00 10:17PM 55,674,271 os360src.tar.gz

mvsdlibs.tar.gz is Bertus Bekker's MVS 3.8 DLIB archive, with the ISPF
libraries removed. There are also sample dasdload pack layout
files so you can create your very own 3330 or 3350 DLIB volume to
play with.
mvsdlbsrc.tar.gz is the source code portions of the archive, extracted out
to Unix text files and organized by dataset for easy browsing.
os360.tar.gz is the OS/360 CD, just as I got it.
os360dlibs.tar.gz is an archive of just the DLIBs from the CD, enough to
generate your own MVT from.
os360src.tar.gz is the source code and other doc from the CD. I went through
and changed all the filenames to lower case for ease of use under
Unix, and stripped out the redundant files (the IEBUPDTE input form,
for example), but this and os360dlibs together otherwise contain the
contents of the CD.
os360ctl.tar.gz is the same archive fo control and sample JCL as on my
OS/360 on Hercules web page.
os360mvt.tar.gz is a pregenerated, IPLable MVT, ready to go. It's the result
of following the recipe on my web page, right up to the first IPL of
MVT. You can take it from there. This archive explodes to right at
500 MB.

Have fun...

4:07 pm

Copyright 2000