From: nick_ev...@my-deja.com
Subject: IBM OS/360 Mainframe Forth
Date: 2000/04/26
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth

Hi,

Does anyone know where I might get hold of a
version of Forth for the IBM Mainframe OS/360?

Thanks
Munir

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: jmayn...@thebrain.conmicro.cx (Jay Maynard)
Subject: Re: IBM OS/360 Mainframe Forth
Date: 2000/04/26
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:54:02 GMT, nick_ev...@my-deja.com
<nick_ev...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know where I might get hold of a
>version of Forth for the IBM Mainframe OS/360?

What platform were you looking to run it on...as an OS started task, or as
an IPLable environment? Batch, 3270 console, 1052/3215, or what? 360, 370
mode (with or without DAT), or ESA/390 mode?

I've bene idly pondering porting an existing Forth to the 370/390, but
haven't had time to pursue it. As it turns out, there's an emulator for that
architecture called Hercules (http://www.snipix.freeserve.co.uk/hercules.htm)
that would serve as a suitable development environmet. Hercules runs under
Linux, and emulates the CPU, as well as disk and tape drives, card readers,
card punches, printers, and line-mode (1052 and 3215) and channel-attached
non-SNA 3270 CRTs. It's far enough along that it'll run OS/360 and OS/390;
the 370 virtual memory OSes (MVS/370, VM/370, and DOS/VSE) probabl;y won't
run just yet, but they could be made to run pretty quickly if only the
Hercules group could get their hands on clean distributions of them.