From: lwin...@bbs.cpcn.com (lwin)
Subject: S/360 public domain stuff?
Date: 2000/07/03
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Originator: r...@bbs.cpcn.com

I understand that much of the software, both application and operating
system, of S/360, was "public domain".

I know my old employer, who had an old S/360, only had to rent a few
specialty software items (like the F level COBOL compiler, the D level was
free).

Question:  why was any of this stuff public domain and thus free?
I could understand IBM charging a reduced price for it since much
of it was old and obsolete and not supported, but still, weren't
they entitled to a return on their investment?

Mainframe software today is incredibly expensive, even for old
products.