New hardware - consequences for Hercules?

Volker Bandke

Sep 23, 2000

I don't want to cause any panic, but this is an email I got today from IBM:
It seems that as of Version 2.11 of OS/390 some rewriting of Hercules might
be called for....

With kind regards

Volker Bandke

------------ beginning of quote, some parts snipped --------------------
All PartnerWorld for Developers, S/390 developers with a purchased or leased
P/390, R/390, Integrated Server or MP3000 7060, please note the following:

We call your attention to the OS/390 V2R10 announcement dated May 16, 2000.
It is important for you in planning your future development for S/390. The
OS/390 V2R10 announcement can be found at the http://www.ibm.com/os390 and
by clicking on "IBM "OS/390 V2R10 availability". Below is the summary of
architectural changes that may impact your development system.

To balance the needs of customers, including providing some protection for
earlier processor investments, IBM has chosen to define periodic
architecture level sets. There are releases that begin to exploit new
architecture features which in turn define a minimum server level on which
that release will execute. The May 16, 2000 announcement includes
information on two architecture level sets:

Level Set One: OS/390 Version 2 Release 10 will require a minimum of 9672
R2, Multiprise, P/390, R/390 or Integrated Server hardware (or compatible
servers). See the last section of this document for First Architectural
Level Set Details.

Level Set Two: The operating system release scheduled for availability in
the first half of 2001 will require a minimum of G5 or Multiprise 3000
hardware (or compatible servers). Therefore, that release will not run on
P/390, R/390, Integrated Server (3006), MP2000, G2, G3, or G4 machines. See
the last section of this document for Second Architectural Level Set
Details.

We understand the impact to you and are working to minimize it. Therefore,
during 4Q'2000 and 2001 we are making the following options available:

1 - 7060-P30, a midrange S/390 system, has 8 time better performance than
the Integrated server for twice purchase price. Future releases of the
operating system will be operational on this machine till further notice.
The announcement of subsequent architectural level sets will be made at
least one year prior to implementation to allow customers to plan for
migrations.

2 - To address 64-bit Architecture, you have the following options:

a - Develop and test your application on pre-GA hardware and software by
using Remote Access Facility. Requests can be sent to this e-mail address:
PWDTS@...

b - Use the Remote Access Facility that will be identified and made
available to you during 1Q'2001 for you to develop and test your
applications with GA hardware and software. Detailed information will be
available during 4Q'2000.

PLEASE NOTE: ADCD 2.10 will be the last release for the P/390, R/390, and
Integrated server. Members with these machines will not be receiving the
ADCD for future releases.

First Architectural Level Set

In Release 10, OS/390 intends to exploit ESA/390 (TM) architectural
enhancements which were implemented on selected S/390 servers.

OS/390 Release 10 (September 2000) will run only on servers that implement
the architectural enhancements, and will not run on servers that have not
implemented them. The following IBM servers have these enhancements:
- All models of the S/390 Parallel Enterprise Servers except for Release 1
models
- All models of the S/390 Multiprise (R)
- All PC Server S/390 servers and RS/6000 (R) with S/390 Server-on-Board
models
- All S/390 Integrated Servers

The following IBM servers do not have these enhancements and will not be
able to run Release 10.
- ES/9000 (R) Processor Unit 9021, 9121, or 9221
- ES/3090 (TM) models
- ES/4381 (TM) models
- S/390 Parallel Transaction Server 9672 E or P models
- S/390 Parallel Enterprise Server (TM) 9672 Release 1 models

Second Architectural Level Set

In the operating system release planned to be available in the first half of
2001, IBM intends to exploit architectural enhancements which were
introduced with the S/390 Multiprise 3000 Server and with Generation 5 of
the IBM S/390 servers.

The release of the operating system planned to be available the first half
of 2001 will only run on servers that implement the architectural
enhancements, and will not run on servers that have not implemented them.
The following IBM servers have these enhancements:
- S/390 Parallel Enterprise Servers - Generations 5 and 6 (or compatible
server)
- Multiprise 3000 Enterprise Server (or compatible server)

IBM makes this statement at this time to provide additional planning time
for the first half of 2001 release of the operating system.

--------------- end of quote, some parts snipped -----------------------

8:08 am

New hardware - consequences for Hercules?

Jay Maynard

Sep 23, 2000

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 10:08:16AM +0200, Volker Bandke wrote:
> I don't want to cause any panic, but this is an email I got today from IBM:
> It seems that as of Version 2.11 of OS/390 some rewriting of Hercules might
> be called for....

I believe that Hercules implements most of the second level set; this came
up on the list several months ago.

11:59 am

Copyright 2000