MVS 3.8 answer from IBM

Jay Maynard

Nov 1, 2000

I haven't gotten the exact wording from IBM yet (this is froma phone call
with the guy I'd been speaking to), but the gist of the matter is that,
while IBM will not grant explicit permission to redistribute, MVS 3.8 was
distributed without license or copyright, and so we may use it and pass it
around at our own risk. (As if anyone here was expecting to call the support
center and open an APAR, anyway..)

I'll forward the email when I get it.

Based on this, I believe it will be acceptable to distribute the MVS 3.8 I
have. I will contact the person who wrote the email and see if it also
applies to other OSes with similar terms, such as VM/370 r6 and DOS/VS r34;
the person I spoke to said he would not be surprised if it did, but that I
should ask the other person myself to make sure.

Stay tuned.

9:05 pm

Re: MVS 3.8 answer from IBM

Dutch Owen

Nov 1, 2000

Jay Maynard wrote:

> I haven't gotten the exact wording from IBM yet (this is froma phone call
> with the guy I'd been speaking to), but the gist of the matter is that,
> while IBM will not grant explicit permission to redistribute, MVS 3.8 was
> distributed without license or copyright, and so we may use it and pass it
> around at our own risk. (As if anyone here was expecting to call the support
> center and open an APAR, anyway..)

This is excellent! All we need is the written admission that MVS 3.8
was de facto distributed without licence or copyright. In that case
explicit permission is not needed. "At your own risk" obviously means
if we trash our data with it, don't call and whine to IBM.

Since VM/370 and DOS/VS were also distributed this way, it surely must
apply to them also.

Great work, Jay!

Dutch

9:52 pm

Re: MVS 3.8 answer from IBM

Stuart Tener

Nov 1, 2000

Dutch, Jay, et al.:

If this is true (that such blanket unprotection so to speak) applys
to the OSes that are of interest to us, how long would it take to get
together a CD with VM/370, DOS/VS, MVS and MVT on it?

Whom has the images, which ones, what feature codes?

Lets start to get organized.

Stuart

--- In hercules-390@egroups.com, Dutch Owen <dutch@e...> wrote:
> Jay Maynard wrote:
>
> > I haven't gotten the exact wording from IBM yet (this is froma
phone call
> > with the guy I'd been speaking to), but the gist of the matter is
that,
> > while IBM will not grant explicit permission to redistribute, MVS
3.8 was
> > distributed without license or copyright, and so we may use it
and pass it
> > around at our own risk. (As if anyone here was expecting to call
the support
> > center and open an APAR, anyway..)
>
> This is excellent! All we need is the written admission that MVS
3.8
> was de facto distributed without licence or copyright. In that case
> explicit permission is not needed. "At your own risk" obviously
means
> if we trash our data with it, don't call and whine to IBM.
>
> Since VM/370 and DOS/VS were also distributed this way, it surely
must
> apply to them also.
>
> Great work, Jay!
>
> Dutch

10:32 pm

Re: MVS 3.8 answer from IBM

Nov 1, 2000

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:32:26PM -0000, Stuart Tener, IT3, USNR-R wrote:
> If this is true (that such blanket unprotection so to speak) applys
> to the OSes that are of interest to us, how long would it take to get
> together a CD with VM/370, DOS/VS, MVS and MVT on it?

Have patience...this is my goal, and I'm working on it actively.

10:41 pm

Received from IBM MVS 3.8

Scott Vetter

Nov 19, 2000

Hello:

I received yesterday from IBM MVS 3.8 on 3380 tapes. No starter
system nor program directory. Though IBM did call and tell me that
there would be no program directory. They also asked about Hercules and
all the interest in MVS 3.8.

So can anyone convert the 3380 tape to CD?

Scott

4:29 am

Re: Received from IBM MVS 3.8

Jay Maynard

Nov 19, 2000

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 11:29:22PM -0500, Scott Vetter wrote:
> So can anyone convert the 3380 tape to CD?

Already been done. I've got the whole system, including starter system and
program directory and optional source materials, in AWSTAPE format. My task
for today is to whip it all into shape and build an ISO image for CD
burning.

1:19 pm

Copyright 2000