Hercules 1.70 announcement

Jay Maynard

Dec 4, 2000

What's new in release 1.70
Release date: 3 December 2000
* New file hercwin32.zip contains build scripts for Win32 version
(Volker Bandke)
* More performance enhancements (Juergen Dobrinski)
* ALS-1 and ALS-2 support completion (Roger Bowler and Jan Jaeger)
* Pick up correct float.c module (Jay Maynard)
* Distribute Windows binaries as well as Linux (Jay Maynard)
* Fix orienting bug in CKD DASD search CCW processing (Bob Abeles)
* Obtain TOD clock lock when accessing or updating 370 interval
timer (Bob Abeles)
* Change license to the QPL Open Source Definition-compliant license
(Roger Bowler, Jay Maynard, and Jan Jaeger)

A few notes:

1) Hercules 1.70 is ALS-1 and ALS-2 compliant to the degree needed to run
OS/390 2.10 and z/OS 1.1.
2) I don't have a Windows binary yet to distribute. My attempts to build one
failed miserably. If someone else can get one built, I'll happily distribute
it. The QPL removes any question as to the legality of distributing the
cygwin version. The patches that had been needed in 1.67-1.69 should no
longer be necessary, having been included in the mainline; if more are
necessary, please let me know.
3) This version should run VM/370 well, since it includes Bob Abeles' fixes.

2:17 am

Re: Hercules 1.70 announcement

(*sigh*)
I should read the upcoming announcements more closely.
Jay- where can we send some $$ donations to help you
out with this stuff?

Why don't you open a PayPal account or something like that?

-Paul

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 09:50:36PM -0600, Paul Raulerson wrote:
> I should read the upcoming announcements more closely.
> Jay- where can we send some $$ donations to help you
> out with this stuff?
> Why don't you open a PayPal account or something like that?

Thanks for the offer, Paul, but I can't think of anything I need to buy at
the moment. (After the P/390 I bought, that is.) Of course, working for a
computer company, and having access to lots of nice fast hardware, certainly
helps! :-)

I'm not in this for money...I'm doing it because I'm having fun working with
stuff I used to do professionally. It's my inner geek coming to the fore.

4:42 am

Re: Hercules 1.70 announcement

Roger Bowler

Dec 4, 2000

Paul Raulerson wrote:
> I should read the upcoming announcements more closely.
> Jay- where can we send some $$ donations to help you
> out with this stuff?
> Why don't you open a PayPal account or something like that?

Paul,

I'm afraid I seem to be less altruistic than Jay, because I would be
more than happy to accept PayPal donations ;-)

Roger Bowler (the original developer of Hercules)
email address: rbowler (at) snipix.freeserve.co.uk

10:18 pm

Re: Hercules 1.70 announcement

Paul Raulerson

Dec 5, 2000

LOL! Open an account and post it. At the very least, you guys deserve
dinner.
If someone will post Win32 Binaries, I'll even throw in dessert... :)

-Paul

> > I should read the upcoming announcements more closely.
> > Jay- where can we send some $$ donations to help you
> > out with this stuff?
> > Why don't you open a PayPal account or something like that?
>
> Paul,
>
> I'm afraid I seem to be less altruistic than Jay, because I would be
> more than happy to accept PayPal donations ;-)
>
> Roger Bowler (the original developer of Hercules)
> email address: rbowler (at) snipix.freeserve.co.uk
>

> Community email addresses:
> Post message: hercules-390@onelist.com
> Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@onelist.com
>
> Files and archives at:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/hercules-390
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

1:44 am

Re: Hercules 1.70 announcement

Volker Bandke

Dec 5, 2000

Hm, start preparing some mousse au chocolade: You can find the binaries at

http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/herc170.exe

which is a self extracting file. I am not sure if I may distribute the
CYGWIN1.DLL, therefore it is not included until someone can convince me that
including it would be legal

With kind regards

Volker Bandke
(BSP GmbH)