Hercules 2.12 for Windows available

Volker Bandke

Feb 18, 2001

It has happened again: A new Version of Hercules for Windows is available. As
usual, you can download it from our website. This time there actually ARE two
different versions of Hercules, one for Pentium processors, and one for Pentium
Pro processors. Please also check the new documentation on building the
Hercules Windows system

http:/www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/hercwin212_pentium.exe compiled for Pentium
processors
http:/www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/hercwin212_pentiumpro.exe compiled for Pentium
Pro Processors

Note: The procedure to build Hercules for various processors has changed
(again). Please check the new docs at
http:/www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/nude_w32.html

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

This fortune intentionally not included.

11:05 am

Re: Hercules 2.12 for Windows available

bilau@...

Feb 19, 2001

Hello Volker,
would you so kind and explain for me what is new in V2.12 and
why I still find V2.11 on http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/
Kind Regards
Roger

8:54 am

Re: Hercules 2.12 for Windows available

Jay Maynard

Feb 19, 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 08:54:13AM -0000, bilau@... wrote:
> would you so kind and explain for me what is new in V2.12 and
> why I still find V2.11 on http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/

The release strategy for Hercules is in a bit of flux at the moment. We're
in the process of changing to using CVS to allow many developers to work on
the code at the same time and keep things straight. Once CVS is set up,
we'll produce a final 2.12 release, and that will be available - in both
Windows and Linux versions - at the Hercules page on conmicro.cx. I'm
planning on doing all this before I go off to SHARE next week.

2:24 pm

New Hercwin Version (2.12k)

Volker Bandke

Mar 5, 2001

Hello fellow Herakles jugglers,

I have heard that some people have problems ipling that obscure OS called VM
<g>. I cannot test it here, but I have followed the new patches going into the
LINUX version. I decided to compile them into the current Hercwin system even
when there is no real new Version around, not even a release, just a new
modification level.

Those of you that want to try to IPL VM under hercules/windows (or who just feel
they always need the latest version of things) might want to go to

http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/nude_w32.html

for download information

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

You have many friends and very few living enemies.

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

7:55 am

Re: New Hercwin Version (2.12k)

stuart@...

Mar 5, 2001

--- In hercules-390@y..., "Volker Bandke" <vbandke@b...> wrote:
> Hello fellow Herakles jugglers,
>
> I have heard that some people have problems ipling that obscure OS
called VM
> <g>. I cannot test it here, but I have followed the new patches
going into the
> LINUX version. I decided to compile them into the current Hercwin
system even
> when there is no real new Version around, not even a release, just
a new
> modification level.

Absent any lack of appreciation for your work, I would query: can you
reveal exactly what has been changed, or what we can expect to work
differenly / better or at all now?

a) powerdown diagnose issue?
b) 9336 emulation problem?
c) lack of ability to dasdinit a 9336?
d) reader problem?
e) loadparm problem?
f) multi-cpu problem?
g) interval timing problems?
h) something I have forgotten or not noticed?

One other question is, I tried the other day (with 2.12b) to set a
memory limit of 256MB, but I beleive 2.12b would not tollerate a
setting in excesso f 128MB. Is this a compile time setting?

If so, what has the "k" version been compiled with pursuant to that
setting?

Stuart
Beverly Hills, CA

9:10 am

Re: New Hercwin Version (2.12k)

Volker Bandke

Mar 5, 2001

Stuart,

as I mentioned - I cannot test it here, which means, I cannot tell you either.
Simple enough. Therefore, if you want to know which things are fixed (if any),
go ahead and download. There was a gazillion of small fixes, which, as I
recall, mostly related to VM stuff, which I am totally ignorant about

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Nothing is illegal if one hundred businessmen decide to do it. -- Andrew
Young

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

> I have heard that some people have problems ipling that obscure OS
called VM
> <g>. I cannot test it here, but I have followed the new patches
going into the
> LINUX version. I decided to compile them into the current Hercwin
system even
> when there is no real new Version around, not even a release, just
a new
> modification level.

Absent any lack of appreciation for your work, I would query: can you
reveal exactly what has been changed, or what we can expect to work
differenly / better or at all now?

a) powerdown diagnose issue?
b) 9336 emulation problem?
c) lack of ability to dasdinit a 9336?
d) reader problem?
e) loadparm problem?
f) multi-cpu problem?
g) interval timing problems?
h) something I have forgotten or not noticed?

One other question is, I tried the other day (with 2.12b) to set a
memory limit of 256MB, but I beleive 2.12b would not tollerate a
setting in excesso f 128MB. Is this a compile time setting?

If so, what has the "k" version been compiled with pursuant to that
setting?

Stuart
Beverly Hills, CA

Community email addresses:
Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

10:12 am

Re: New Hercwin Version (2.12k)

Roger Bowler

Mar 5, 2001

--- In hercules-390@y..., stuart@b... wrote:
> Absent any lack of appreciation for your work, I would query: can
you
> reveal exactly what has been changed, or what we can expect to work
> differenly / better or at all now?
>
> a) powerdown diagnose issue?
> b) 9336 emulation problem?
> c) lack of ability to dasdinit a 9336?
> d) reader problem?
> e) loadparm problem?
> f) multi-cpu problem?
> g) interval timing problems?
> h) something I have forgotten or not noticed?

Good God, Stuart, you don't want much, do you? Given time, I'm sure
you can come up with something for item (h)

> One other question is, I tried the other day (with 2.12b) to set a
> memory limit of 256MB, but I beleive 2.12b would not tollerate a
> setting in excesso f 128MB. Is this a compile time setting?

Ahhh! I knew you could do it ;-)

Seriously though, the idea of this being an open source project is so
that people can take the code away and tinker about with it
themselves to make it do what they want. If they come up with any
useful changes, they can, if they wish, feed them back to the
maintainer. Alternatively, if people just want to use the software
as it stands, then this is fine too. But if you want someone else to
research and/or fix all of those problems for you, you really need to
think about whether a commercially supported product might be what
you want. Why do you think FSI and UMX charge a lot of money for
their products?

Roger

12:41 pm

Hercules 2.12 for Windows available

Volker Bandke

May 8, 2001

Hi, fellow Herculeans,

the long awaited Hercules Version 2.12 is finally available. Precompiled
Versions for Windows can be found at

http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/nude_w32.html or directly from

http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/hercwin212_pentium.exe and
http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/hercwin212_pentiumpro.exe

(Sorry for reposting, but last time I forgot the subject line)

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'

I came, I saw, I deleted all your files.

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

1:52 pm

Copyright 2001