SHARE in Minneapolis

Jay Maynard

Jul 8, 2001

I'm giving two presentations at SHARE in Minneapolis:

2880: The Hercules S/370, ESA/390, and z/Architecture Emulator - this one's
an updated version of the talk I gave in Long Beach
2881: Running Classic Operating Systems with Hercules - how to obtain, load,
generate, and run OS/360, MVS 3.8, and VM/370

They're back to back, with the first at 4:30 and the second at 6 PM, on
Wednesday, 25 July.

If things go as they did in Long Beach, I expect that there'll be a
gathering of Hercules folks for dinner after the presentation.

3:28 am

Re: SHARE in Minneapolis

Bernard van der Helm

Jul 9, 2001

Hi Jay,

I promised Jan to give a presentation on a user GSE. The
presentation is readt, but I'm waiting untill the last error is fixed
in the z/Architecture for z/OS or OS/390 2.10. I'm interested in your
presentation. Maybe I can use some of that. What is your reaction from
IBM?

Bernard

--- In hercules-390@y..., Jay Maynard <jmaynard@c...> wrote:
> I'm giving two presentations at SHARE in Minneapolis:
>
> 2880: The Hercules S/370, ESA/390, and z/Architecture Emulator -
this one's
> an updated version of the talk I gave in Long Beach
> 2881: Running Classic Operating Systems with Hercules - how to
obtain, load,
> generate, and run OS/360, MVS 3.8, and VM/370
>
> They're back to back, with the first at 4:30 and the second at 6 PM,
on
> Wednesday, 25 July.
>
> If things go as they did in Long Beach, I expect that there'll be a
> gathering of Hercules folks for dinner after the presentation.

10:07 am

Re: SHARE in Minneapolis

Jay Maynard

Jul 9, 2001

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 10:07:12AM -0000, Bernard van der Helm wrote:
> I'm interested in your presentation. Maybe I can use some of that.

Both presentations will be available from the Hercules page after I finalize
them, shortly before SHARE.

> What is your reaction from IBM?

So far, I have heard nothing negative from IBM at all, and I understand that
some pretty powerful folks within IBM know about it.

12:24 pm

Re: SHARE in Minneapolis

Rich Smrcina

Jul 9, 2001

But the big question is, How do we convince them that Hercules is a
viable alternative for the hobbyist and that the S/390 operating systems
should be licensed as such?

--
Rich Smrcina
Grede Foundries, Inc.

Catch the WAVV! Stay for Requirements and the Free for All!
Update all of your skills in 4 days for a very reasonable price.
WAVV 2001 on the Frozen Tundra of Green Bay, WI
September 21-25, 2001
For details see http://www.wavv.org

12:38 pm

Re: SHARE in Minneapolis

Jay Maynard

Jul 9, 2001

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 07:38:43AM -0500, Rich Smrcina wrote:
> But the big question is, How do we convince them that Hercules is a
> viable alternative for the hobbyist and that the S/390 operating systems
> should be licensed as such?

I think that the techies within IBM understand it already. The problem is
convincing the managers and lawyers that it's a Good Idea, and that's
something that has to be done within IBM. I've already expressed my
willingness to talk to anyone within IBM to help that cause.

12:44 pm

Copyright 2001