IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

Ze'ev Atlas

Aug 4, 2001

Hi everybody
I've just read an article that implies that IBM obligation to disclose its
hardware instruction set is to be expired soon (if it has not yet expired.)
The article foresaw the demise of Amdahl and Hitachi mainframe clones as a
result of that.
1. Is it true that IBM might not be obligated to disclose the full
instruction set?
2. If so, while I do not worry about Amdahl and Hitachi that might or might
not have cross licensing agreements with IBM, I do worry about the evolution
of Hercules-390 into the zSeries era. Is there any possible remedy. In
essence, should we worry?
3. Is it at all possible to make a pact with IBM that will clarify the
relations between them and our community?
Thanks
Ze'ev Atlas

8:31 pm

RE: IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

Fish

Aug 4, 2001

<snip>

Do you have a URL?

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
fish@...

8:58 pm

RE: IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

Ze'ev Atlas

Aug 4, 2001

Hi
There is no URL yet, maybe next month. A printed copy is available to Naspa
memebers. It is Mr. Steve Thompson's article: "What Does the z/Architecture
Mean to Mainframe Users?", published in Naspa's Technical Support, June
2001. I assume you are familiar with that publication, Sam Golob is a
regular there. The implication appears in the last paragraph, subtitled
Summary.
If he is correct, we'll depend on the good will of IBM even more than now!
Ze'ev Atlas

> I've just read an article that implies that IBM obligation to disclose
its

<snip>

Do you have a URL?

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
fish@...

Community email addresses:
Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules <http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

10:06 pm

RE: IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

jalvo@...

Aug 5, 2001

(Puzzled... Amdahl (Fujitsu) and Hitachi have withdrawn from the
mainframe clone market during the last several years. They support
existing customers but nothing new. So what does the article mean by
predicting an event which has already happened?

john

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 23:31:33 -0400 , "Ze'ev Atlas" <ZAtlas@...>
wrote:

> Hi everybody
>I've just read an article that implies that IBM obligation to disclose its
>hardware instruction set is to be expired soon (if it has not yet expired.)
>The article foresaw the demise of Amdahl and Hitachi mainframe clones as a
>result of that.
>1. Is it true that IBM might not be obligated to disclose the full
>instruction set?
>2. If so, while I do not worry about Amdahl and Hitachi that might or might
>not have cross licensing agreements with IBM, I do worry about the evolution
>of Hercules-390 into the zSeries era. Is there any possible remedy. In
>essence, should we worry?
>3. Is it at all possible to make a pact with IBM that will clarify the
>relations between them and our community?
>Thanks
>Ze'ev Atlas
>

>Community email addresses:
> Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
> Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
>Files and archives at:
>
>Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

6:07 am

RE: IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

Ze'ev Atlas

Aug 5, 2001

Hi everybody
John is correct but this was not my main point. I cannot care less about
both Amdahl and Hitachi. My main point was the availability or disclosure
of the full information about the IBM hardware and hardware/firmware
instruction sets as is related to Hercules-390. However, I've just read one
more article (I am catching up with reading this summer) from Mr. Mark
Lilliycorp In Naspa's Technical Support, February 2001. In his column
Industry Insight the article "The Best and Worst of Times?" Mr. Lillycorp
indicates that the aforementioned corporations did indeed leave the
mainframe market and even began to fight against it. He also lamented (my
interpretation) the general fact that this market is not considered dynamic
and not atracting new blood. As a result, IBM is now without competitors in
this market.
This, as we know, may be convinient for the shortsighted monopolist, but it
is a death spell to the market as a whole. IBM had been in this situation
in the past and may or may not be shortsighted. It is possible to point
that to IBM and actually have them in the long run, endorse Hercules-390 as
the "official" competitor. One that they have to provide with full
disclosure in order to prevent being a monopoly, but they should and would
use their marketing muscles to compete against. Except when they license it
for their own educational and demo needs.
It sounds like an unachivable goal, but we should somehow try to convince
IBM at least to negotiate some degree of official recognition.
Ze'ev Atlas

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

Community email addresses:
Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules <http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

7:59 pm

RE: IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

stuart@...

Aug 6, 2001

Mr. Atlas:

Let me warn you, I beleive your ignorance of the law in the US
concerning anti-competitive activity, anti-trust, the Sherman Act,
the Lanham Act, the congressional record regarding the legislative
intent of the congressman encacting either of the above entitled
legislative acts, and monopolistic behavior as viewed through the
lense of the Supreme Court of the United States of America, is only
eclipsed by your shear arogance in attempting to proport you are
capable of demonstrating even the most limited knowledge base in the
subject area you raise.

Let us continue disecting your idea from that purview, shall we?

Let us start with the basics; monopolies are NOT ILLEGAL IN THE US!
However, anti-competitive behavior yeilding a monopoly is. What does
this mean?

It means that if you produce a product so well, that no one can
create a competitive product (either due to their lack of engineering
abilities or production abilities) and go out of business, you have
legally done nothing wrong. There is no law in this country against
having a product with no competition in such a scenario.

However, market supressive and anti-competitive behavior can be quite
illegal in certain instances. In order for the Department of Justice
to view IBM in violation of anti-trust legislation, they must be
inhibiting the market in some demonstrable manner.

Once evidence showing the effects of such anti-competitive behavior
is demonstrated to a court of competant jurisdiction, then there can
be an arguement made for temporary restraining orders, permanent
injunctive relief, civil penatilites, charges of corporate criminal
liability, or judicial action to punatively impact the offending
party.

Such evidence must show in real damages (lost revenues, i.e. how you
didnt make money, or were forced to loose it). Now, how you are going
to argue that a product which is free and non-commercial in its
nature (inclusive of the documented goals of it's main developers and
copyright holders being non-commercial), I cant even begin to fathom.

However, even if you were to envision such a viable argument, you
would need the Department of Justice to buy into it, and be willing
to litigate a case on behalf of your damages, as I am sure you know
(being the legal expert you seem to be) that enforcement of the
Sherman Act can only be done by the US Government, and not a private
party.

Absent the above needed constraints you would see no relief until
such time as a court of competent jurisdiction ruled in your favor
with respect to the infringing activities, and this does not take
into consideration the lengthy appeals process.

If all of the above came true (it never would, but let us pretend),
then I doubt IBM would be willing to resist any behavior until
compelled to do so by a Federal Court. Somehow, I dont think you are
appointed to the Federal Bench and in control of adjudicating a case
against IBM, hence, they wont give a rats rectum about what you have
to say.

Hercules is not a viable competitor, you are asking IBM to conspire
with you in creating a "bogus competitor", such that IBM will be able
to escape some imagined wrong (of which there is none) that you think
they are perpatrating. Are you nuts? Do you really think IBM will
just "miss" the gapping whole in any legal theory (and using those
terms "legal theory" with regard to your idea is quite a stretch) you
might be interested in pointing out to them "as a favour"?

On top of all that, after successfully beating their competitors'
divisions into insolvency (in the areas discussed regarding IBM S/390
emulation [in harware]), you wish them now to give away their
patents, copyrights, and trade secrets? Surely you are smart enough
to realize that such patents, copyrights, and trade secrets are worth
more now than they were before.

By the way Mr. Atlas, in case you were wondering, "Mr. Grant" is whom
is buried in Grant's Tomb.

Stuart
Beverly Hills, CA, USA

--- In hercules-390@y..., Ze'ev Atlas <ZAtlas@t...> wrote:
> Hi everybody
> John is correct but this was not my main point. I cannot care less
about
> both Amdahl and Hitachi. My main point was the availability or
disclosure
> of the full information about the IBM hardware and hardware/firmware
> instruction sets as is related to Hercules-390. However, I've just
read one
> more article (I am catching up with reading this summer) from Mr.
Mark
> Lilliycorp In Naspa's Technical Support, February 2001. In his
column
> Industry Insight the article "The Best and Worst of Times?" Mr.
Lillycorp
> indicates that the aforementioned corporations did indeed leave the
> mainframe market and even began to fight against it. He also
lamented (my
> interpretation) the general fact that this market is not considered
dynamic
> and not atracting new blood. As a result, IBM is now without
competitors in
> this market.
> This, as we know, may be convinient for the shortsighted
monopolist, but it
> is a death spell to the market as a whole. IBM had been in this
situation
> in the past and may or may not be shortsighted. It is possible to
point
> that to IBM and actually have them in the long run, endorse
Hercules-390 as
> the "official" competitor. One that they have to provide with full
> disclosure in order to prevent being a monopoly, but they should
and would
> use their marketing muscles to compete against. Except when they
license it
> for their own educational and demo needs.
> It sounds like an unachivable goal, but we should somehow try to
convince
> IBM at least to negotiate some degree of official recognition.
> Ze'ev Atlas

Instruction Set

> (Puzzled... Amdahl (Fujitsu) and Hitachi have withdrawn from the
> mainframe clone market during the last several years. They support
> existing customers but nothing new. So what does the article mean by
> predicting an event which has already happened?
>
> john
>

> On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 23:31:33 -0400 , "Ze'ev Atlas" <ZAtlas@t...>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody
> >I've just read an article that implies that IBM obligation to
disclose
> its
> >hardware instruction set is to be expired soon (if it has not yet
> expired.)
> >The article foresaw the demise of Amdahl and Hitachi mainframe
clones
> as a
> >result of that.
> >1. Is it true that IBM might not be obligated to disclose the full
> >instruction set?
> >2. If so, while I do not worry about Amdahl and Hitachi that
might or
> might
> >not have cross licensing agreements with IBM, I do worry about the
> evolution
> >of Hercules-390 into the zSeries era. Is there any possible
remedy.
> In
> >essence, should we worry?
> >3. Is it at all possible to make a pact with IBM that will
clarify the
> >relations between them and our community?
> >Thanks
> >Ze'ev Atlas
> >

> >Community email addresses:
> > Post message: hercules-390@y...
> > Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@y...
> >
> >Files and archives at:
> >
> >Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> > http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
<http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules>

> >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

> Community email addresses:
> Post message: hercules-390@y...
> Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@y...
>
> Files and archives at:
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
<http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules>

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

1:56 am

RE: IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

peter_flass@...

Aug 6, 2001

And lawyers wonder why the public views them as being
somewhere between used-car salesmen and serial rapists on the
totem pole.

Surely there was a better way to say this...

--- In hercules-390@y..., stuart@b... wrote:
> Mr. Atlas:
>
> Let me warn you, I beleive your ignorance of the law in the
US
> concerning anti-competitive activity, anti-trust, the
Sherman Act,
> the Lanham Act, the congressional record regarding the
legislative
> intent of the congressman encacting either of the above
entitled
> legislative acts, and monopolistic behavior as viewed
through the
> lense of the Supreme Court of the United States of America,
is only
> eclipsed by your shear arogance in attempting to proport
you are
> capable of demonstrating even the most limited knowledge
base in the
> subject area you raise.
>
> Let us continue disecting your idea from that purview,
shall we?

5:46 am

RE: IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

Ze'ev Atlas

Aug 6, 2001

Hi everybody
From an innocent idea of "there is a potential problem to the Hercules
implementation, so therefore let's try to convivce IBM the it is a good idea
to keep us running", the discussion went to blaming me that my ignorance of
the law in the US... , is only eclipsed by my shear arogance. I am not a
lawyer (and after reading this rant I must say thanks God!) neither am I
arogant. I did not say and did not even mean that we could enforce
non-monopolistic behavior. I of course did not mean that IBM should create
bogus competitor (and after reading Stuart's letter, I am sorry I've even
said something that may be even remotely understood that way) I just said
that we should pleed with IBM that it is of their best interest to keep us
running by providing the subject matter information!
Thanks Peter for answering Stuart.
In any case, nobody yet have discussed the main problem, my opinion, that we
may be closed out of the necessary information to keep Hercules on the right
track.
Ze'ev Atlas

And lawyers wonder why the public views them as being
somewhere between used-car salesmen and serial rapists on the
totem pole.

Surely there was a better way to say this...

--- In hercules-390@y..., stuart@b... wrote:
> Mr. Atlas:
>
> Let me warn you, I beleive your ignorance of the law in the
US
> concerning anti-competitive activity, anti-trust, the
Sherman Act,
> the Lanham Act, the congressional record regarding the
legislative
> intent of the congressman encacting either of the above
entitled
> legislative acts, and monopolistic behavior as viewed
through the
> lense of the Supreme Court of the United States of America,
is only
> eclipsed by your shear arogance in attempting to proport
you are
> capable of demonstrating even the most limited knowledge
base in the
> subject area you raise.
>
> Let us continue disecting your idea from that purview,
shall we?

Community email addresses:
Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules <http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

6:22 am

RE: IBM Obligation to Disclose the Instruction Set

abaddon@...

Aug 6, 2001