IBM Manuals

John P Baker

Jun 3, 2002

I have an extensive collection of old IBM publications which you may
find useful.

The following sampling is provided for your consideration:

GA22-6821-08 IBM System/360 Principles of Operation
GA22-6884-04 IBM System/360 Model 65 Functional Characteristics
GA22-6889-03 IBM System/360 Model 75 Functional Characteristics
GA22-6942-02 IBM System/370 Model 155 Functional Characteristics
GA22-6943-04 IBM System/360 and System/370 Model 195 Functional
Characteristics
GA22-7010-06 IBM System/370 Model 168 Functional Characteristics
GA22-7011-05 IBM System/370 Model 158 Functional Characteristics
GA22-7060-08 IBM 3033 Functional Characteristics
GA22-7061-02 IBM 3032 Processor Complex Functional
Characteristics
GA22-7066-02 IBM 3031 Processor Complex and 3031 Attached
Processor Complex
Functional Characteristics
GA22-7070-02 IBM 4300 Processors Principles of Operation for
ECPS:VSE Mode
GA22-7074-00 Virtual-Machine Assist and Shadow-Table-Bypass
Assist
GA22-7079-01 IBM System/370 Assists for MVS
SA22-7094-01 IBM System/370 Mathematical Assists
SA22-7095-01 IBM System/370 Extended Architecture - Interpretive
Execution
SA22-7125-03 IBM Enterprise System Architecture/370 and
System/370
Vector Operations
GA22-7139-01 IBM Enterprise System/9000 Models 820, 860, and 900
Functional Characteristics and
Configuration Guide
GA24-3231-07 IBM System/360 Model 30 Functional Characteristics
GA24-3557-09 IBM System/370 Model 145 Functional Characteristics
GA24-3632-01 IBM System/370 Model 138 Functional Characteristics
GA24-3634-01 IBM System/370 Model 148 Functional Characteristics
GA24-3947-03 IBM 4381 Uniprocessor Functional Characteristics
GA24-4021-02 IBM 4381 Dual Processor Functional Characteristics
GA27-2719-02 IBM System/360 Model 67 Functional Characteristics
GA33-1506-03 IBM System/370 Model 125 Functional Characteristics
GA33-1510-02 IBM System/370 Model 115 Functional Characteristics
GA33-3005-09 IBM System/370 Model 135 Functional Characteristics

I am currently residing in the Princeton, NJ area, having relocated from
SC. This is
all that I have brought up so far. However, I have several hundred
additional
publications that I will be retrieving on a subsequent trip to SC.

John P Baker

4:44 pm

Placing Old IBM Publications on the Web

John P Baker

Jun 3, 2002

Has anyone contacted IBM in respect to placing "old" IBM
publications on the web ? If so, what was the response ?
If not, I will be happy to take the issue up with IBM ... I know
a lot of people there ...

John P Baker

9:26 pm

Ask IBM to sell software

somitcw

Jun 5, 2002

Dear Mr. IBM Contacts,
It would be nice to have access to IBM publications,
but we need software more. Please ask IBM to start
selling software. My suggestions are:

Group 1, for MVS 3.8j home users:
SPF/MVS or ISPF+ISPF/PDF 1.1.0
IND$FILE 1.1.0
BDT 5796-PKK
VS/SORT
OS/VS/COBOL
CICS/VS
any other products that are obsolete, but that
someone would find useful on their home PC.
Pricing would depend on what IBM includes.
If the group only includes the first two items,
I would suggest USD50, but if IBM includes a large
number of packages, the price could be as high as
USD200. If IBM does not have the install files,
Hercules users should be able to send then to IBM.
I have SPF/MVS, ISPF, ISPF/PDF, and other pieces.
Without support, the cost to IBM would be almost
zero. The profit would also be low, but would
build good will. The customer would have the
option and responsibility to provide MVS 3.8 and
the emulator with no restraint against FlexES,
Hercules, UMX, or other.

Group 2, for businesses or home use:
A license for a single user to run whatever
operating system software that they have.
The user could run it at work or home. The user
could run multiple copies of the software on a PC.
Several users can run it, but not at the same time.
I suggest a cost of USD2000 per user license.
The cost to IBM would be paperwork. The profit
would be low, but above zero.
Some customers would buy this for their system and
application programmers. I would much rather run
SMP/E on my PC where I can take disk volume backups
between each JOB and not impact a production system.
System tests would be much easier.
If each OS/390, zOS, VM/ESA, zVM, VSE/ESA, etc.
installation bought an average of one license, IBM
would make some cash with almost no outlay.
No software would have to be shipped and no support
provided. The customer would have the option and
responsibility to provide the emulator with no
restraint against FlexES, Hercules, UMX, or other.

Group 3, for business use:
A license to run another copy of a customer's
operating on a PC for storage backup and recovery.
The problem that needs to be solved: I can back
up my entire 384GB of disk space in about a tenth
of that space on a PC. i.e. A single 160GB IDE hard
drive will hold a months worth of weekly backups.
I can put seven 160GB hard drives in a local PC
and a remote PC for 1TB each for less than USD2000
each PC. That gives two copies of six months of
weekly disk volume backups with instant disaster
recovery capabilities. The catch is restore.
To copy a sequential data set or PDS back, MVS 3.8
can be used. To copy an ICF VSAM data set or PDSE
data set, I have to copy an entire disk volume back
to get one data set. I don't want to write MVS 3.8j
software to allow transporting newer format data sets.
A fair price would be $10,000 for each PC allowed to
run OS/390 ( or zVM, VSE, etc. ) for data storage.
IBM would not have to supply software or support.
The customer would have the option and responsibility
to provide the emulator with no restraint against
FlexES, Hercules, UMX, or other.

If IBM does not want to sell software, ask them to
allow business partners to sell software. I would
even agree to become an IBM business partner if that
was the only way to have the software sold.

--- In hercules-390@y..., John P Baker <jbaker314@e...> wrote:
Subject: Re: Placing Old IBM Publications on the Web
>Has anyone contacted IBM in respect to placing "old" IBM
>publications on the web ? If so, what was the response ?
>If not, I will be happy to take the issue up with IBM ...
>I know a lot of people there ...
>John P Baker

2:46 pm

Re: Ask IBM to sell software

John P Baker

Jun 5, 2002

Although your proposal has merit (at least in my eyes), getting it
approved through IBM management is another story. I will make
som inquiries, but don't hold your breath.

Much more likely is getting approval to post old manuals. I have
made some inquiries, and will keep you posted.

John P Baker

somitcw wrote:

> [...]
> to provide the emulator with no restraint against
> FlexES, Hercules, UMX, or other.
>
> If IBM does not want to sell software, ask them to
> allow business partners to sell software. I would
> even agree to become an IBM business partner if that
> was the only way to have the software sold.
>
> --- In hercules-390@y..., John P Baker <jbaker314@e...> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Placing Old IBM Publications on the Web
> >Has anyone contacted IBM in respect to placing "old" IBM
> >publications on the web ? If so, what was the response ?
> >If not, I will be happy to take the issue up with IBM ...
> >I know a lot of people there ...
> >John P Baker
>

> Community email addresses:
> Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
> Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Files and archives at:
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:

3:00 pm

Re: Ask IBM to sell software

commanonce

Jun 6, 2002

--- In hercules-390@y..., "somitcw" <somitcw@e...> wrote:
> Dear Mr. IBM Contacts,
> It would be nice to have access to IBM publications,
> but we need software more. Please ask IBM to start
> selling software. My suggestions are:

Posting wish-lists achieves precisely nothing.

There is a well-defined formal interface for business suggestions. I
passed the details to Jay some months ago - I'm not aware that
anything has been done.

I would suggest that anyone wishing to put such a suggestion together
become closely acquainted with IBM and its concerns. Software is a
$13 billion business contributing over a third of IBM's net income -
_ANY_ change to licensing terms and conditions involves thorough and
rigorous review across the whole company by some very busy people.
Software isn't just software - operating systems tend to be owned by
the product house in question, middleware by software group, etc.,
and there are pricers at both corporate and geography level, so there
are actually many people involved. To get time on their schedules you
have to have a damn good business reason - "I want" and "it would be
nice if" don't count in this space.

One example. You might think that allowing a user to make a copy of
an existing licensed OS would simplify things for IBM because they
don't have to ship an extra copy. In fact, it would probably cost
them more because they would have to submit the extra terms and
conditions under which this copy could be made to an extensive
review - a strict ban on the legal licensee permitting copies to be
made except in specific circumstances is one of IBM's main anti-
piracy measures. If you add together all the time and effort
required to get approval for a new set of circumstances, putting a
reasonable value on management time, the costs run into millions.

And that's assuming you can get the time on all their agendas. Oh,
and you have to do it quickly - they all have to agree at the same
time. Just because x or y agreed last week, it doesn't mean that
they'll still agree when z gets back to them next week. The business
or the individual may have changed.

The importance of large systems software margins to IBM also means
that any change will inevitably go to the Management Committee. Who
would you select to argue your case, and how would you persuade them?

1:05 am

Re: Ask IBM to sell software

Jay Maynard

Jun 6, 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 08:05:04AM -0000, commanonce wrote:
> There is a well-defined formal interface for business suggestions. I
> passed the details to Jay some months ago - I'm not aware that
> anything has been done.

I just looked back through my saved messages from you, and did not see
anything like that. If you have someone concrete, or some other concrete
info, to point me to, I'll definitely pursue it.

I will note that the hobbyist license was submitted as a requirement at WAVV
2002, and received the highest average vote (2.9 out of a possible 3) and
second highest total number of positive votes cast of the 77 requirements
submitted. Since WAVV is a successor to GUIDE, IBM has at least agreed to
look at the requirement internally.

> I would suggest that anyone wishing to put such a suggestion together
> become closely acquainted with IBM and its concerns. Software is a
> $13 billion business contributing over a third of IBM's net income -
> _ANY_ change to licensing terms and conditions involves thorough and
> rigorous review across the whole company by some very busy people.

Changes obviously happen, though, so it's not impossible, just very
difficult.

> Software isn't just software - operating systems tend to be owned by
> the product house in question, middleware by software group, etc.,
> and there are pricers at both corporate and geography level, so there
> are actually many people involved. To get time on their schedules you
> have to have a damn good business reason - "I want" and "it would be
> nice if" don't count in this space.

How does IBM plan to address the graying of the systems programmer pool?
Everyone knows it's a problem, but nobody has come up with another answer.
What are customers going to do when they can't find systems programmers?
They won't have any choice but to switch platforms to ones where they can
find people to run them.

> One example. You might think that allowing a user to make a copy of
> an existing licensed OS would simplify things for IBM because they
> don't have to ship an extra copy. In fact, it would probably cost
> them more because they would have to submit the extra terms and
> conditions under which this copy could be made to an extensive
> review - a strict ban on the legal licensee permitting copies to be
> made except in specific circumstances is one of IBM's main anti-
> piracy measures.

There are other ways around the problem; one is to take the approach DEC,
uh, Compaq, uh, HP did: allow people to run copes they have access to, or
obtain them from one central administrator.

> If you add together all the time and effort
> required to get approval for a new set of circumstances, putting a
> reasonable value on management time, the costs run into millions.

When weighed against the destruction of their mainframe business, those
costs look a lot more reasonable.

> And that's assuming you can get the time on all their agendas. Oh,
> and you have to do it quickly - they all have to agree at the same
> time. Just because x or y agreed last week, it doesn't mean that
> they'll still agree when z gets back to them next week. The business
> or the individual may have changed.

This is no different from any other large corporation.

> The importance of large systems software margins to IBM also means
> that any change will inevitably go to the Management Committee. Who
> would you select to argue your case, and how would you persuade them?

Who? Good question. I may or may not be the obvious choice. How? I suspect
that figures on the graying of IBM's own mainframe workforce would be quite
enlightening.

5:43 am

Copyright 2002