problem with number of CPU

la_nigiro

Oct 16, 2002

Hi ,
My name is Alex.
I have a problem with enabling all availables CPU on my machine to
hercules.
I have Compaq DL580 machine with 4 700MHz CPU .
I have Red Hat 7.2 on it.
When I specify CPUNUM as 4 in hercules.cnf file , hercules doesn't
start with message 'wrong CPU number'.
Hercules starts only when CPUNUM is equal to 1 or 2.
What could be the reason of the problem ?
Thanks .
Alex.

11:49 am

Re: problem with number of CPU

Jay Maynard

Oct 16, 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:49:59AM -0000, la_nigiro wrote:
> I have a problem with enabling all availables CPU on my machine to
> hercules.
> I have Compaq DL580 machine with 4 700MHz CPU .
> I have Red Hat 7.2 on it.
> When I specify CPUNUM as 4 in hercules.cnf file , hercules doesn't
> start with message 'wrong CPU number'.
> Hercules starts only when CPUNUM is equal to 1 or 2.

Sounds like you're running a 370-mode OS. The S/370 architecture only alows
a maximum of two CPUs.

Don't worry, though: the other CPUs will still be exploited by Hercules to
do I/O and other housekeeping tasks, so you'll still get the benefits of
your 4-way host system. (Wish I had one of those; the DL580 is a nice box.)

12:19 pm

Re: problem with number of CPU

la_nigiro

Oct 17, 2002

Thank you.
Do you know , how can I change the architecture , that it will
recognize all the CPUs ?
And the second question is: My Linux machine makes about 6000 bogoMIPS
and the Hercules shows only about 28 bogoMIPS. Hercules runs very
slow.It looks like it doesn't exploit all available resources.
Can I do anything about it ?
Alex.

--- In hercules-390@y..., Jay Maynard <jmaynard@c...> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:49:59AM -0000, la_nigiro wrote:
> > I have a problem with enabling all availables CPU on my machine
> > hercules.
> > I have Compaq DL580 machine with 4 700MHz CPU .
> > I have Red Hat 7.2 on it.
> > When I specify CPUNUM as 4 in hercules.cnf file , hercules
doesn't
> > start with message 'wrong CPU number'.
> > Hercules starts only when CPUNUM is equal to 1 or 2.
>
> Sounds like you're running a 370-mode OS. The S/370 architecture
only alows
> a maximum of two CPUs.
>
> Don't worry, though: the other CPUs will still be exploited by
Hercules to
> do I/O and other housekeeping tasks, so you'll still get the
benefits of
> your 4-way host system. (Wish I had one of those; the DL580 is a
nice box.)

7:25 am

Re: problem with number of CPU

Jeffrey R. Broido

Oct 17, 2002

Quick, middle of the night response: bogoMIPS aren't MIPS (the
prefix stands for "bogus"), but even if they were, 6000 MIPS on an
Intel platform represents less work than 6000 MIPS on an S390. If
Hercules shows 28 MIPS (not bogoMIPS), you're doing very well,
indeed.

--- In hercules-390@y..., "la_nigiro" <la_nigiro@y...> wrote:

<snip>
> My Linux machine makes about 6000 bogoMIPS and the Hercules shows
> only about 28 bogoMIPS. Hercules runs very slow. It looks like it
> doesn't exploit all available resources.

8:14 am

Re: problem with number of CPU

la_nigiro

Oct 17, 2002

Thanks, Jeffrey.
The matter is that Hercules shows about 3-4 MIPS in average. I've
seen performance like this on PC not on 4-way machine.I'll be happy
if I reach 28 MIPS on Hercules.
--- In hercules-390@y..., "Jeffrey R. Broido" <broidoj@g...> wrote:
> Quick, middle of the night response: bogoMIPS aren't MIPS (the
> prefix stands for "bogus"), but even if they were, 6000 MIPS on an
> Intel platform represents less work than 6000 MIPS on an S390. If
> Hercules shows 28 MIPS (not bogoMIPS), you're doing very well,
> indeed.
>
> --- In hercules-390@y..., "la_nigiro" <la_nigiro@y...> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > My Linux machine makes about 6000 bogoMIPS and the Hercules shows
> > only about 28 bogoMIPS. Hercules runs very slow. It looks like it
> > doesn't exploit all available resources.

9:40 am

Re: problem with number of CPU

mkwasigr

Oct 17, 2002

--- In hercules-390@y..., "la_nigiro" <la_nigiro@y...> wrote:
> Thanks, Jeffrey.
> The matter is that Hercules shows about 3-4 MIPS in average. I've
> seen performance like this on PC not on 4-way machine.I'll be happy
> if I reach 28 MIPS on Hercules.

Ok, then maybe your 700-MHz CPUs are just a bit too slow, no matter
how much CPUs you give to Hercules. I was already wondering how you
got 28 hercules-MIPS out of these 700 Mhz Xeons in the first place...

9:56 am

Re: problem with number of CPU

Paul Raulerson

Oct 17, 2002

Not *that* slow - a single 700mhz processor should easily produce 12 mips
average, with peaks in the high teens or low twenties.
Dual processors should do a little bit better. Something else is wrong.

If you are under Linux, it sounds like you need to do a hdparm tuning... ?

> > The matter is that Hercules shows about 3-4 MIPS in average. I've
> > seen performance like this on PC not on 4-way machine.I'll be happy
> > if I reach 28 MIPS on Hercules.
>
> Ok, then maybe your 700-MHz CPUs are just a bit too slow, no matter
> how much CPUs you give to Hercules. I was already wondering how you
> got 28 hercules-MIPS out of these 700 Mhz Xeons in the first place...
>

> Community email addresses:
> Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
> Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Files and archives at:
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

1:07 pm

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 07:25:53AM -0000, la_nigiro wrote:
> Do you know , how can I change the architecture , that it will
> recognize all the CPUs ?

That depends. Which OS are you runinng?

The emulated architecture (S/370, ESA/390, ESAME) needs to match the OS.
Freely available mainframe OSes (OS/360, MVS 3.8, VM/370 r6, DOS/VS) all run
in S/370 mode, and that mode is limited to two CPUs with no expansion beyond
that possible. If you're running an ESA/390-mode OS (like Linux/390 or
OS/390), or a z/Architecture OS (like Linux for z/Series or z/OS), then they
can use more than 2 CPUs, although, as Greg mentioned, you'll need to
recompile Hercules to raise the CPU limit. (Greg, is there a reason we can't
ship Hercules binaries with more CPUs enabled?)

> And the second question is: My Linux machine makes about 6000 bogoMIPS
> and the Hercules shows only about 28 bogoMIPS. Hercules runs very
> slow.It looks like it doesn't exploit all available resources.
> Can I do anything about it ?

BogoMIPS numbers are not comparable across architectures, so your Intel
Linux bogoMIPS number means nothing when set against your 390 bogoMIPS
number.

The control panel MIPS meter only measures one emulated CPU's execution
speed.

To answer your basic question, Hercules is quite good at soaking up all
available machine resources (perhaps too good, but that's another
discussion). The primary limitation is that the CPU emulation can use, at
most, 100% of one host processor per emulated processor. That does not mean
that you should automatically define as many emulated processors as you have
in your host (in your case, 4), because there are other requirements as
well. Hercules will use host processors that aren't in use for CPU emulation
for other tasks, such as I/O emulation, overhead, housekeepiing, and the
like; Linux or Windows also needs to have CPU resources available to do
their work in support of Hercules. In general, the recommendation is to
define one fewer emulated processor on an SMP host than the host has
processors, to allow for this overhead. (In your case, the highest I'd
recommend setting NUMCPU to is 3.) This is a general guideline, and
experimentation for your specific use is a good idea if you're interested in
squeezing the most performance possible out of your system.

Long answer, huh? Sorry about that, but now you should better understand the
considerations that go into Hercules performance.

3:21 pm

Re: problem with number of CPU

la_nigiro

Oct 17, 2002

I'm under Red Hat 7.2. Can you explain how can I do a hdparm tuning?
Thanks.
Alex.
--- In hercules-390@y..., "Paul Raulerson" <praulerson@h...> wrote:
> Not *that* slow - a single 700mhz processor should easily produce
12 mips average, with peaks in the high teens or low twenties.
> Dual processors should do a little bit better. Something else is
wrong.

> If you are under Linux, it sounds like you need to do a hdparm
tuning... ?

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

3:25 pm

Re: problem with number of CPU

Matt Zimmerman

Oct 17, 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 03:25:39PM -0000, la_nigiro wrote:

> I'm under Red Hat 7.2. Can you explain how can I do a hdparm tuning?

hdparm is a utility for setting various parameters of ATA disk devices.
Unless your Hercules is performing massive amounts of I/O, you probably do
not need to worry about it, and you can destabilize your system by using it.

--
- mdz

4:40 pm

Copyright 2002