Good (best?) Linux for Herc

john Thomson

Apr 22, 2003

Hello, I finally had enough of Windows (2k pro), too
many problems(not with Hercules). Now I plan to
upgrade to Tyan Tiger 2*amd2400 + Linux (which I have
used but several years ago). Can anyone help me choose
between redhat 9.0 or Suse 8.2 ? or a different
distribution ?Thanks for the help. John.

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer

5:44 am

RE: Good (best?) Linux for Herc

Gregg C Levine

Apr 22, 2003

Hello from Gregg C Levine
If you can find it, use Slackware 8.1, or Slackware 9.0. Red Hat 9.0
has support issues, that we won't go into here. And SusE has other
issues.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

9:44 am

Re: Good (best?) Linux for Herc

Jay Maynard

Apr 22, 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 06:44:41AM +0100, john Thomson wrote:
> Hello, I finally had enough of Windows (2k pro), too
> many problems(not with Hercules). Now I plan to
> upgrade to Tyan Tiger 2*amd2400 + Linux (which I have
> used but several years ago). Can anyone help me choose
> between redhat 9.0 or Suse 8.2 ? or a different
> distribution ?Thanks for the help. John.

In general, I'd recommend staying away from Red Hat .0 releases, as they
have a history of being buggy and riddled with security holes. This has been
true all the way back to 5.0, at least. I'm running 7.2, and 7.3 is pretty
good. Unfortunately, since Red Hat has now said they're going to get away
from doing maintenance releases, I don't know where this leaves the rest of
us.

My roommate is using Mandrake 9.1 and doing well with it; there are also a
lot of Debian partisans out there. Maybe by now, RH 8.0 has enough fixes out
that it's acceptable; I don't know, since I've stayed away from it.

11:46 am

Re: [hercules-390] Good (best?) Linux for Herc

Jay Maynard

Apr 22, 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 05:44:26AM -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> If you can find it, use Slackware 8.1, or Slackware 9.0. Red Hat 9.0
> has support issues, that we won't go into here. And SusE has other
> issues.

Does Slackware have a comprehensive package management system similar to RPM
that's used for the entire distribution? If not, I can't recommend it,
because the system is basically unmaintainable unless you REALLY know what
you're doing and are willing to spend a lot of time manually determining
package interrelationships.

Once upon a time, Slackware was adamant about NOT having package management,
claiming this was a feature. If that's still the case, I'm staying far away
from it, and I recommend anyone but the most die-hard Linux geek who wants
an experimental system, not a production box, to do so as well.

11:59 am

Re: [hercules-390] Good (best?) Linux for Herc

Warren W. Gay

Apr 22, 2003

john Thomson wrote:

> Hello, I finally had enough of Windows (2k pro), too
> many problems(not with Hercules). Now I plan to
> upgrade to Tyan Tiger 2*amd2400 + Linux (which I have
> used but several years ago). Can anyone help me choose
> between redhat 9.0 or Suse 8.2 ? or a different
> distribution ?Thanks for the help. John.

Debian Linux is good. If you want a minimal install, you'll get one
(unlike RedHat). The only thing I find is that the package tools
are a bit strange.

Warren.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

1:47 pm

Re: [hercules-390] Good (best?) Linux for Herc

Matt Zimmerman

Apr 22, 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:47:30AM -0400, Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:

> Debian Linux is good. If you want a minimal install, you'll get one
> (unlike RedHat). The only thing I find is that the package tools
> are a bit strange.

Long-time Debian users find RPM pretty strange as well (to put it lightly).
:-)

--
- mdz

2:13 pm

RE: [hercules-390] Good (best?) Linux for Herc

Gregg C Levine

Apr 22, 2003

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Jay, their package management system while not based on RPM, does
support the use of RPM, so they can be added that way. I only
suggested Slackware, because of John S's comments on the latest Red
Hat offering. I really don't like Red Hat because their methods of
configuration next to impossible at times. Let's let the correspondent
decide for himself. Recommendation noted. But I am going to continue
to specify Slackware until shown otherwise.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

10:15 pm

Copyright 2003