Hercules performance

richardpinion

Sep 17, 2003

Hardware is Intel 3.06 Ghz, 1 Gb of DDR RAM, 120Gb hard drive.
Currently running Hercules under WinXP/Cygwin. Would I get better
performance if I ran Hercules under a 686 based Linux rather than
WinXP/Cygwin?

8:26 pm

Re: Hercules performance

Jay Maynard

Sep 17, 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:26:22PM -0000, richardpinion wrote:
> Hardware is Intel 3.06 Ghz, 1 Gb of DDR RAM, 120Gb hard drive.
> Currently running Hercules under WinXP/Cygwin. Would I get better
> performance if I ran Hercules under a 686 based Linux rather than
> WinXP/Cygwin?

Probably not. There have been more than a few folks running comparison
tests, and they all show performance within the limits of measurement error
between Windows and Linux versions - and they don't all agree on which is
even that little bit faster.

You've got a nice box there. How fast will your system run in a tight loop?
I'd expect it to break 40 MIPS. Is hyperthreading present and enabled? Can
you enable/disable it? If so, how much difference does it make?

8:30 pm

Re: Hercules performance

richardpinion

Sep 18, 2003

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Jay Maynard <jmaynard@c...>
wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:26:22PM -0000, richardpinion wrote:
> > Hardware is Intel 3.06 Ghz, 1 Gb of DDR RAM, 120Gb hard drive.
> > Currently running Hercules under WinXP/Cygwin. Would I get
better
> > performance if I ran Hercules under a 686 based Linux rather
than
> > WinXP/Cygwin?
>
> Probably not. There have been more than a few folks running
comparison
> tests, and they all show performance within the limits of
measurement error
> between Windows and Linux versions - and they don't all agree on
which is
> even that little bit faster.
>
> You've got a nice box there. How fast will your system run in a
tight loop?
> I'd expect it to break 40 MIPS. Is hyperthreading present and
enabled? Can
> you enable/disable it? If so, how much difference does it make?

I haven't done the test between HT and non-HT yet. Also, which
Hercules disk image performs better, compressed or non-compressed?

7:11 pm

Copyright 2003