posting styles and licensing

Enrico Sorichetti

Oct 8, 2003

Hallo all, ( Volker at the top of the list )

Did any of You notice that all the posts concerning licenced program
are from people with anonymous/strange looking userids and with
anonymous/strange/missing signatures ( even names**** often mean
nothing )
Is it a guilty conscience or a lack of Netiquette
IMWLTO
This is the joking part

Hallo all again ( in any order )
NOW I AM VERY SERIOUS AND FED UP.
If somedody was able to acquire a real( for $$$$$$) license from IBM,
then I suppose it was acquired for business purposes; I consider
UNETHICAL to ask for free consultancy, and no reason whatsoever to
share with such people/companies knowledge/experience gained with
strenuos years of work.

enrico sorichetti

P.S. If anybody is interested in My consultancy fees, contact me
offline :-)

*** by name in this case I refer to sequences of letters belonging to
the algebraic set of first names

IMWLTO = Inquiring Minds Would Like TO Know :-)

3:47 pm

RE: posting styles and licensing

Volker Bandke

Oct 8, 2003

6:39 pm

RE: posting styles and licensing

Karl Kingston

Oct 10, 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Volker Bandke wrote:

> >NOW I AM VERY SERIOUS AND FED UP.
> >If somedody was able to acquire a real( for $$$$$$) license from
> >IBM, then I suppose it was acquired for business purposes; I
> >consider
> >UNETHICAL to ask for free consultancy, and no reason whatsoever to
> >share with such people/companies knowledge/experience gained with
> >strenuos years of work.
>

> Welcome to the club :) I agree 100%.

Me too.

Unless I hear someone says they have a license for OS/390 or z/OS or z/VM
and they can back it up with proof and how they got this, I'm assuming
nobody can get a license to run one of the newer OS's on Hercules.

4:35 am

Re: posting styles and licensing

kyle5091

Oct 10, 2003

Agree absolutely -- IMO IF one can get a license to run OS/390 they
will probably have one for FLEX-ES in which case no problem.

As a part time Pro photog I would also be "pissed off" if people
started using my pictures without paying me royalties -- especially
if I had to get up at 4 AM on a freezingo cold day and drive 300KM to
get the shot and then work for hours on post processing it to get it
into the magazine for the following day. Why should IBM or whoever be
any different.

I'm always amazed at how some people always expect other people to
work their a--es off for nothing.

Most of us on this group appreciate the hard work lots of people have
put in to making this stuff work extremely well -- Thankyou
everybody -- but we should draw the line at obvious misuses of
people's efforts.

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kingston <kkingsto@s...>
wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Volker Bandke wrote:

> > >NOW I AM VERY SERIOUS AND FED UP.
> > >If somedody was able to acquire a real( for $$$$$$) license from
> > >IBM, then I suppose it was acquired for business purposes; I
> > >consider
> > >UNETHICAL to ask for free consultancy, and no reason whatsoever
> > >share with such people/companies knowledge/experience gained
with
> > >strenuos years of work.
> >

> > Welcome to the club :) I agree 100%.
>
> Me too.
>
> Unless I hear someone says they have a license for OS/390 or z/OS
or z/VM
> and they can back it up with proof and how they got this, I'm
assuming
> nobody can get a license to run one of the newer OS's on Hercules.

7:09 am

Re: posting styles and licensing

sarn756

Oct 10, 2003

That is a bad analogy. My employer has a license to run OS/390 on a
P/390 free. If the P/390 breaks, he can move it to another P/390.
He can even move the P/390 card to a non-IBM PC and run OS/390 free.
He can buy a Flex-ES box and run OS/390 free. Why can't he shut down
the P/390 and run it on a Linux box? IBM is not out a single penny.
They have the money for the P/390. OS/390 is FREE! (for the
development parnters, that is)

If you want a better analogy, it would be for you to license your
pictures in slide form for any one to use, free of charge, as long as
the projector was made by Kodak.

I understand this dead horse has been beaten enough by the folks in
this group. It still hasn't moved...darn it!

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, "kyle5091" <kyle@1...> wrote:
> Agree absolutely -- IMO IF one can get a license to run OS/390 they
> will probably have one for FLEX-ES in which case no problem.
>
> As a part time Pro photog I would also be "pissed off" if people
> started using my pictures without paying me royalties -- especially
> if I had to get up at 4 AM on a freezingo cold day and drive 300KM
> get the shot and then work for hours on post processing it to get
it
> into the magazine for the following day. Why should IBM or whoever
be
> any different.
>
> I'm always amazed at how some people always expect other people to
> work their a--es off for nothing.
>
> Most of us on this group appreciate the hard work lots of people
have
> put in to making this stuff work extremely well -- Thankyou
> everybody -- but we should draw the line at obvious misuses of
> people's efforts.
>
> --- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kingston <kkingsto@s...>
> wrote:

whatsoever
> with
> > >

> > > Welcome to the club :) I agree 100%.
> >
> > Me too.
> >
> > Unless I hear someone says they have a license for OS/390 or z/OS
> or z/VM
> > and they can back it up with proof and how they got this, I'm
> assuming
> > nobody can get a license to run one of the newer OS's on Hercules.

7:28 am

Re: posting styles and licensing

Jay Maynard

Oct 10, 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 07:28:38AM -0000, sarn756 wrote:
> That is a bad analogy. My employer has a license to run OS/390 on a
> P/390 free. If the P/390 breaks, he can move it to another P/390.
> He can even move the P/390 card to a non-IBM PC and run OS/390 free.
> He can buy a Flex-ES box and run OS/390 free. Why can't he shut down
> the P/390 and run it on a Linux box? IBM is not out a single penny.
> They have the money for the P/390. OS/390 is FREE! (for the
> development parnters, that is)

I don't understand it either, but whether or not I understand it, and
whether or not it makes any business sense for IBM at all, it's the way
things are, and we're stuck with them, at least until someone can get inside
IBM and convince them to change their minds.

Not to pick on you, Sterling, but with that said, I'm going to put on my
list owner's hat:

People, discussions of whether, and how, someone wishing to run licensed IBM
software on Hercules has a license to do so are off-topic for this list. As
we've seen, they generate more heat than light, and never result in any
useful information.

It's appropriate to remind folks that they need to have a license to run
such software. It's not appropriate, however, to ask them how they got that
way, or to discuss IBM's obvious failings in that regard, on the
hercules-390 list. If you're dying to find out how someone got a license to
run OS/390, or other licensed IBM software, on Hercules, please ask them
offlist - and, if they tell you they can't discuss it, respect that and let
the subject drop. Discussions of IBM licensing issues, among other advocacy
topics, belongs on hercules-advocacy.

As for the "free consultancy" argument, I believe that this list is similar
in that respect to the well-regarded IBM-MAIN mailiing list for IBM
mainframe topics in general: if someone wants to ask a question, and someone
else wants to answer it, that's their business. Questions get asked and
answered all the time on IBM-MAIN, and (aside from one outburst several
months ago) it doesn't generate controversy. It should not here, either.

11:43 am

Copyright 2003