Install z/VM from First Level

mvs4winxp

Jan 21, 2004

Hi,
We want to test if z/VM can be installed using Hercules in First
Level. (ie, use product tapes directly, without an existing VM
system). We used both Hercules 2.17.1 and 3.0.1
The z/VM 4.4 products are in 18 tapes (3480 format).
We use "tapecopy" to convert the product tapes to AWS format.
We also "dasdinit" four DASDs for installation use.
We define 800 as 3480 tape drive and code "PGMPRDOS"
Then we try to install the z/VM by:
1) First "devinit 800 C:\Hercules\zVM440\zVM44T01.aws"
2) Then "ipl 800"
However, the following error appeared in Hercules console:
--------------------------------------
HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=000A0000 00FDFDFD
--------------------------------------
Both 2.17.1 and 3.0.1 encountered the same problem.
.
Since we have an z/VM 4.2 system, if we use Second Level method,
then the z/VM 4.4 can be installed from the AWS tapes without any
problem on top of z/VM 4.2 !

Does anyone know whether Hercules can be used to install VM system
in First Level method ?

6:59 am

Re: Install z/VM from First Level

Jay Maynard

Jan 21, 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:59:29AM -0000, mvs4winxp wrote:
> Hi,
> We want to test if z/VM can be installed using Hercules in First
> Level. (ie, use product tapes directly, without an existing VM
> system). We used both Hercules 2.17.1 and 3.0.1
> The z/VM 4.4 products are in 18 tapes (3480 format).
> We use "tapecopy" to convert the product tapes to AWS format.
> We also "dasdinit" four DASDs for installation use.
> We define 800 as 3480 tape drive and code "PGMPRDOS"
> Then we try to install the z/VM by:
> 1) First "devinit 800 C:\Hercules\zVM440\zVM44T01.aws"
> 2) Then "ipl 800"
> However, the following error appeared in Hercules console:
> --------------------------------------
> HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
> PSW=000A0000 00FDFDFD
> --------------------------------------
> Both 2.17.1 and 3.0.1 encountered the same problem.

Assuming you're properly licensed to run z/VM on your Hercules system...

I've gotten other reports of this problem. I also have been told that the
problem is only with the version of ICKDSF on the install tape, and once the
DASD volumes are initialized (with an older version of ICKDSF), the rest of
the install works fine.

9:11 am

Re: Install z/VM from First Level

Adam Thornton

Jan 21, 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:59:29AM -0000, mvs4winxp wrote:
> Does anyone know whether Hercules can be used to install VM system
> in First Level method ?

My experience has been the following (on Linux/390 running under z/VM
4.4, so YMMV):

The first file on the tape, the standalone ICKDSF, does not IPL. So I
did my disk formatting with the standalone ICKDSF image I already had.
I have no idea why the first IPL fails. This is where you're stuck.

Then I used OMA, not AWS, for the tape emulation, and I needed to mess
around with the tape definitions to make that work, and tell the VM
installer they were 3480s, not 3422s. This was just a little bit of
Rexx hacking, and is easy.

*Then* I found that 3.01 didn't work--the patch Kris just submitted for
tape handling fixes that, I think, but apparently breaks some MVS stuff.
But I installed OK with 2.17, and then I was able to run fine with
3.01.

Adam

2:54 pm

Re: Install z/VM from First Level

paulraulerson

Jan 21, 2004

Wow! I wish to heck I could get a license to do that!

Oh well, the IPL problem is probably related to not setting the
loadparm right. On real heardware, the loadparm would need to be
(digging through the installation manual....) CNSL0020 where 0020 is
whatever you have defined as the installation device.

-Paul

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Adam Thornton <adam@f...> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:59:29AM -0000, mvs4winxp wrote:
> > Does anyone know whether Hercules can be used to install VM
system
> > in First Level method ?
>
> My experience has been the following (on Linux/390 running under
z/VM
> 4.4, so YMMV):
>
> The first file on the tape, the standalone ICKDSF, does not IPL.
So I
> did my disk formatting with the standalone ICKDSF image I already
had.
> I have no idea why the first IPL fails. This is where you're stuck.
>
> Then I used OMA, not AWS, for the tape emulation, and I needed to
mess
> around with the tape definitions to make that work, and tell the VM
> installer they were 3480s, not 3422s. This was just a little bit of
> Rexx hacking, and is easy.
>
> *Then* I found that 3.01 didn't work--the patch Kris just submitted
for
> tape handling fixes that, I think, but apparently breaks some MVS
stuff.
> But I installed OK with 2.17, and then I was able to run fine with
> 3.01.
>
> Adam

4:19 pm

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:19:50PM -0000, paulraulerson wrote:
> Wow! I wish to heck I could get a license to do that!

It's easy.

*IF* you're already running z/VM on the hardware, anyway....

Performance is, uh, not so great, though.

Adam

5:21 pm

Re: Install z/VM from First Level

Paul Raulerson

Jan 22, 2004

Oh, I did load a Linux instance on our z800, compile Hercules, and then run a
copy of z/VM on top of that. I never figured our how to get the networking
working on that copy. Constant problems with either LCS or CTCI adapter settings
under Hercules. As you note, the performance, while very good on the hardware,
was less than stunning. :)

I wish I could get a license to do that on a PC. :) Well, one day, maybe. :)
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:19:50PM -0000, paulraulerson wrote:
> Wow! I wish to heck I could get a license to do that!

It's easy.

*IF* you're already running z/VM on the hardware, anyway....

Performance is, uh, not so great, though.

Adam

Community email addresses:
Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

4:05 am

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:05:50PM -0600, Paul Raulerson wrote:
> Oh, I did load a Linux instance on our z800, compile Hercules, and
then run a copy of z/VM on top of that. I never figured our how to get
the networking working on that copy. Constant problems with either LCS
or CTCI adapter settings under Hercules. As you note, the performance,
while very good on the hardware, was less than stunning. :)

Hunh. I had no trouble getting CTCI networking running. Unless you
were running a really old 2.16, in which CTCI broke under z/VM?

Adam

2:45 pm

Copyright 2004