Linux vs. WIN2000

mariuszdabek

Jan 23, 2004

Hi

Recently I said 'bye' my WIN 2000 and I've installed linux - Red Hat
9 on this same machine.
Hercules v.3 works slower then before, especially in the first phase
of ipl. E.g during an ipl it takes a few minutes to see any
activities on master console.
What should I check to determine where is the problem?

I'm using RPMS.
I didn't tune my linux kernel.
I'm working on level 3 without X and using c3270.

I will be happy for any suggestions.

Regards
Mariusz

11:15 am

Re: Linux vs. WIN2000

kvshetye

Jan 23, 2004

Hi,

Linux has better performance in accessing hard disk and memory
management. But it takes more CPU time than WIN2000. Hercules
require more CPU time and a very little disk access.

If you monitor CPU performance, you will observe that CPU is used
100% when hercules is being run.

This is not a poblem with your linux installation.

Regards,

Kailas Shetye

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, "mariuszdabek"
<Mariusz.Dabek@p...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Recently I said 'bye' my WIN 2000 and I've installed linux - Red
Hat
> 9 on this same machine.
> Hercules v.3 works slower then before, especially in the first
phase
> of ipl. E.g during an ipl it takes a few minutes to see any
> activities on master console.
> What should I check to determine where is the problem?
>
> I'm using RPMS.
> I didn't tune my linux kernel.
> I'm working on level 3 without X and using c3270.
>
> I will be happy for any suggestions.
>
> Regards
> Mariusz

11:25 am

Re: Linux vs. WIN2000

mariuszdabek

Jan 23, 2004

It is time I have to look around after the second processor.
I think it should fix my performance problems.

Thank You Kailas

Regards
Mariusz

> Hi,
>
> Linux has better performance in accessing hard disk and memory
> management. But it takes more CPU time than WIN2000. Hercules
> require more CPU time and a very little disk access.
>
> If you monitor CPU performance, you will observe that CPU is used
> 100% when hercules is being run.
>
> This is not a poblem with your linux installation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kailas Shetye
>
> --- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, "mariuszdabek"
> <Mariusz.Dabek@p...> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Recently I said 'bye' my WIN 2000 and I've installed linux - Red
> Hat
> > 9 on this same machine.
> > Hercules v.3 works slower then before, especially in the first
> phase
> > of ipl. E.g during an ipl it takes a few minutes to see any
> > activities on master console.
> > What should I check to determine where is the problem?
> >
> > I'm using RPMS.
> > I didn't tune my linux kernel.
> > I'm working on level 3 without X and using c3270.
> >
> > I will be happy for any suggestions.
> >
> > Regards
> > Mariusz

11:47 am

Re: Linux vs. WIN2000

bass@...

Jan 23, 2004

If Linux is running slower have you tried recompiling the Kernel for
your particular PC hardware?
Also RH defaults the IDE bus speed to ATA33.
Do a "man hdparm" to see how to set the bus speed to ATA66 or ATA100,
whatever your PC is. I believe this has to be set on each boot.
It had a huge difference on my PC.

Sam Bass

> Recently I said 'bye' my WIN 2000 and I've installed linux - Red Hat 9
> on this same machine.
> Hercules v.3 works slower then before, especially in the first phase of
> ipl. E.g during an ipl it takes a few minutes to see any
> activities on master console.
> What should I check to determine where is the problem?
>
> I'm using RPMS.
> I didn't tune my linux kernel.
> I'm working on level 3 without X and using c3270.
>
> I will be happy for any suggestions.
>
> Regards
> Mariusz
>

> Community email addresses:
> Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
> Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> Files and archives at:
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

2:58 pm

Re: Linux vs. WIN2000

mariuszdabek

Jan 27, 2004

Thank You Sam

I made 'hdparm -X69 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hda' and hercules seems to
work much better.

Regards
Mariusz