install Z-os under Hercules

nisko55

Nov 30, 2004

did anyone succeed to install Z-os (V5) under hercules
if so, can U sned me the config file/instruction how to do it.

i have the CD's of Z-os (and of course the license to install it)
but i didn't succeed doing it.

7:43 am

RE: install Z-os under Hercules

Volker Bandke

Nov 30, 2004

I have a licence to run z/OS on my Flex-ES system, but explicitly
_NO_ licence to run it under Hercules. This has been given to me in
every so clear words. Now, of course, seeing your post, I wonder:
what kind of incantations, black or white magic, or other actions did
you have to go through to get a licence to run ADCD system under
Hercules.

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet
than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years. -- Richard
Bach

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

did anyone succeed to install Z-os (V5) under hercules
if so, can U sned me the config file/instruction how to do it.

i have the CD's of Z-os (and of course the license to install it)
but i didn't succeed doing it.

- ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
- --------------------~-->
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
- --------------------------------------------------------------------~-

Community email addresses:
Post message: hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: hercules-390-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
Yahoo! Groups Links

11:52 am

RE: install Z-os under Hercules

moti cb

Nov 30, 2004

it took me alot of time to have licence to install it, but know i don't how to
do it can u help?

[...]

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

12:22 pm

Re: install Z-os under Hercules

David Wade

Nov 30, 2004

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, moti cb <nisko55@y...> wrote:
> it took me alot of time to have licence to install it, but know i
don't how to do it can u help?

You explain how to get license, we explain how to install. Fair deal?

4:26 pm

RE: install Z-os under Hercules

Nov 30, 2004

YES- it runs just fine. I happened to be moving HERC to a
new and faster and larger system. The system is a Pentium 4
Hyperthread processor (3.4GHz) with 2GB RAM. I created a separate
H-Drive of about 100GBs for all of HERC and the Operating Systems DASD
plus my own zSetup for running (the setup is from a previous Share
Presentation that I did a few years back. Maybe time to zUpdate it or
hercUpdate it). My HERC Drive is H. Here are the steps I used:

- create a Cygwin directory on H:
- go to www.Cygwin.com and select the Install Icon to install the
most current release. I had a lot of problems with this. I
finally used an HTTP server (mirror.xmission.com) and
selected
the RE-INSATALL option under the Category Tab. I also put
the HERC system in the DMZ of my Router (but I'm not sure this
really helped). Follow the HERC directions to add the correct
directories to the Pathing. For WinXP, righ-clice on My
Computer, Select Properties, Select Advanced Tab, Select
EnvironmENTAL Variable Radio Button, Highlight Path in lower
frame and click EDIT. For my system I added:
H:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin;H:\Cygwin\usr\local;H:\Cygwin\bin
- I use the HERC GUI. Navigate to the website and down load the
current version. I install it in its own directory
H;\Herc-GUI
- go to the appropriate HERC sites and get FISH Pack, TUN/TAP, and
PCAP (current version is 3.0; but I actually used the beta
version available at the PCAP web site). I install all of these
into H:\Cygwin\bin
- go to the HERC Snapshot website and download the current version.
I use the snapshot for a 2way processor using Fish Threads on
a P4. Install into H:\Cygwin
- reboot your system
- you should now be able to bring up HERC with the Herc-GUI. You
will have to update the locations where your files are. In
Herc-Gui,
select FILE, then select Preferences

- un-zip your OS DASD volumes
- I use the utilities to compress these files into HERC format
compressed files using the DASDCOPY function. This positions
you to then create shadow files (if you want to).
- update the HERC config file. I put mine in H:\Herc-Config
- perform a Power On, answering all the startup questions.
- IPL your system. You will probably need to perform a Cold Start
the first time.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me off-list, and I'll try to
help you.

(Private note:
For anyone wondering about licensing, I will not discus my "arrangements".
So please do not burden the list with how questions and statements.
Thanx!)

did anyone succeed to install Z-os (V5) under hercules
if so, can U sned me the config file/instruction how to do it.

i have the CD's of Z-os (and of course the license to install it)
but i didn't succeed doing it.

5:48 pm

Re: install Z-os under Hercules

kvshetye

Dec 1, 2004

> For anyone wondering about licensing, I will not discus
my "arrangements".
> So please do not burden the list with how questions and statements.
> Thanx!)

Good. That means you are seeking help from others on this forum but
do not wish to help them. Great.

Kailas.

9:57 am

Re: install Z-os under Hercules

Jay Maynard

Dec 1, 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:57:17AM -0000, kvshetye wrote:
> > For anyone wondering about licensing, I will not discus
> > my "arrangements".
> > So please do not burden the list with how questions and statements.
> > Thanx!)
> Good. That means you are seeking help from others on this forum but
> do not wish to help them. Great.

You don't know that. It may well be that he cannot discuss his arrangements
because of the way he got his license. In any event, we don't know the whole
story, so it's not our place to impugn his motives.

1:45 pm

Re: install Z-os under Hercules

David Wade

Dec 2, 2004

Should we as a groups, have some sort of standard answer we send to
folks on this list who ask about Z-OS or other licensed software, so
we avoid this in future?

Or at least some guidance from the list owner that says either:-

a) Discusion of Licensed software is O.K. We do not need to check
that the user is licensed

b) A simple statement that the user is licensed should enable
discussion.

c) We should not discus how to run Z-OS as we don't believe it is
possible to obtain a valid license.

I am sorry to bring this up, but view of opinions expressed on other
forums, I want to be sure I don't tread on any ones toes.

Dave Wade

P.S. And having decided can we updated the groups home page to
reflect the policy!

9:40 am

Licensed software, Hercules, and this list

Jay Maynard

Dec 2, 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 09:40:52AM -0000, David Wade wrote:
> Should we as a groups, have some sort of standard answer we send to
> folks on this list who ask about Z-OS or other licensed software, so
> we avoid this in future?

Yes.

> Or at least some guidance from the list owner that says either:-
> a) Discusion of Licensed software is O.K. We do not need to check
> that the user is licensed
> b) A simple statement that the user is licensed should enable
> discussion.
> c) We should not discus how to run Z-OS as we don't believe it is
> possible to obtain a valid license.

Fair enough.

I've said all along that we, out here on the wide Internet, cannot and do
not know all of the details of any user's arrangements with IBM, and they're
often prohibited from discussing them. As such, we cannot know whether their
use of licensed software is legal or not. Further, we're not IBM's licensing
enforcers, and I, for one, am not getting paid enoguh to become one.
Finally, it is known that Hercules is used widely within IBM, and such use
is, by definition, legal (since IBM cannot violate its own copyright). Many
of those users post from non-IBM addresses for lots of different reasons,
and it is not our place to question why.

There have been statements by others that it is not possible to obtain a
license to run currently available IBM program products on Hercules. I have
never seen any support for those statements from within IBM, either
officially or unofficially. In the absence of such support, I must discount
those statements as being the opinion of the person making them, not as hard
fact. The only exception to this is the Partnerworld for Developers AD/CD
package, which states in its licensing for recent versions that it may only
be used on Flex-ES and not on other emulators.

These discussions are, in our bitter experience, usually acrimonious,
long-running, and quite unlikely to change anyone's mind. They also are of
profound disinterest to many, many list members due to their repetitive
nature.

Therefore:

Discussion of running licensed software on Hercules is permitted. If the
user claims to be licensed, then that is sufficient for the purposes of this
list. If a user wishes to discuss how he became licensed, that's his
prerogative - but all such discussions are off-topic for the main
hercules-390 list. Those wishing to discuss licensing issues, be they their
own situation or another's, are directed to the hercules-advocacy list.

This does not apply specifically to the IBM Partnerworld for Developers
AD/CD software package. This package is not licensed to be run on Hercules
under any conditions. Discussion of running AD/CD systems on Hercules is not
permitted. It should be noted, however, that the AD/CD is merely a
collection of IBM licensed software in a form that permits rapid
installation, and those products are available through other channels.

This in no way obligates anyone to provide assistance to others if they
believe that doing so is wrong under any given set of circumstances. Each
user must follow his own conscience when deciding to provide assistance to
others, considering issues of both legality and the potential to support
piracy of IBM software.

> I am sorry to bring this up, but view of opinions expressed on other
> forums, I want to be sure I don't tread on any ones toes.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to formalize what I've been saying for
years.

> P.S. And having decided can we updated the groups home page to
> reflect the policy!

I will do so.

9:36 pm

Copyright 2004