IBM Emulator licensing on the way?

Peter J Farley III

Nov 16, 2005

Phil Isham has an interesting article that he publicised today on IBM-
MAIN about a Fujitsu/HP/PSI z/Arch emulation machine supposedly coming
out, and his ever-entertaining thoughts on the liklihood of IBM
providing wider emulator licensing for its software:

http://www.isham-research.co.uk/platslns4.html

Intriguingly, he specifically states the following in that article:

"Back when the Hercules Open Software effort was beginning to impact
the zArchitecture world, one Hercules user applied for and received a
license to run z/OS under Hercules. This was not repeated - and IBM
even issued a statement to this effect."

Can anyone verify or refute the accuracy of that statement?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Peter

2:33 pm

Re: IBM Emulator licensing on the way?

Jay Maynard

Nov 16, 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 02:33:09PM -0000, Peter J Farley III wrote:
> "Back when the Hercules Open Software effort was beginning to impact
> the zArchitecture world, one Hercules user applied for and received a
> license to run z/OS under Hercules. This was not repeated - and IBM
> even issued a statement to this effect."
>
> Can anyone verify or refute the accuracy of that statement?

Peter has made this claim repeatedly, but he has never - not ever, not once
- backed it up. I have asked for any document from IBM saying that they
would not license their code on Hercules, and nobody has ever been able to
come up with anything at all in writing.

Followups to -advocacy, please.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC
http://www.conmicro.cx

2:36 pm

Re: IBM Emulator licensing on the way?

Peter D. Ward

Nov 16, 2005

I think Jay means "Phil", not "Peter".

That said, I do believe there was one independent software vendor who,
prior to there being an IBM emulation-based Partnerworld offering, did
receive IBM's permission to run some flavor of MVS (os390 2.10? or
pehaps an early zOS?) on top of Hercules. If I recall correctly, IBM
has subsequently directed that user toward IBM's own offering.
Perhaps that episode is what Phil is thinking of. Perhaps too what Phil
is referring to as an "issued statement" are the T's&C's published
regarding the use of AD-CD's, which is explicitly restricted to run only
upon IBM's own PWD offering and not "any other emulator".

PDW

Jay Maynard wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 02:33:09PM -0000, Peter J Farley III wrote:
>

>>"Back when the Hercules Open Software effort was beginning to impact
>>the zArchitecture world, one Hercules user applied for and received a
>>license to run z/OS under Hercules. This was not repeated - and IBM
>>even issued a statement to this effect."
>>
>>Can anyone verify or refute the accuracy of that statement?
>>

>Peter has made this claim repeatedly, but he has never - not ever, not once
>- backed it up. I have asked for any document from IBM saying that they
>would not license their code on Hercules, and nobody has ever been able to
>come up with anything at all in writing.
>
>Followups to -advocacy, please.

3:46 pm

Copyright 2005