z/VM on Hercules

"herculessearch

Jun 21, 2007

Can I run z/VM on top of a Hercules installation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

9:16 pm

Re: z/VM on Hercules

Josef Sipek

Jun 21, 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 09:16:43PM -0000, herculessearch wrote:
> Can I run z/VM on top of a Hercules installation?

Yes and no. As far as I know, there's no _technical_ problem, and hercules
can handle it just fine, but you need IBM to let you run z/VM - licensing
issues.

Josef "Jeff" Sipek.

depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

9:31 pm

RE: z/VM on Hercules

William D Carroll

Jun 22, 2007

Like was stated, Technically it will run but proper licensing is required.

Problem is the installation, unless you install from TAPE or do a second
level install using the DVDPRIME you can not install it

The DVD/CD needs the SYSG console which is not supported by Hercules.

Doug

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 09:16:43PM -0000, herculessearch wrote:
> Can I run z/VM on top of a Hercules installation?

Yes and no. As far as I know, there's no _technical_ problem, and hercules
can handle it just fine, but you need IBM to let you run z/VM - licensing
issues.

Josef "Jeff" Sipek.

depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

1:35 am

Re: z/VM on Hercules

Johnny Luo

Jun 22, 2007

William,

I once successfully installed z/vm 5.3 Demopkg DVDs for Flex-es under
hercules.

I didn't see anything specifal. Do I miss something here?

On 6/22/07, William D Carroll <voxr@...> wrote:

> Like was stated, Technically it will run but proper licensing is
> required.
>
> Problem is the installation, unless you install from TAPE or do a second
> level install using the DVDPRIME you can not install it
>
> The DVD/CD needs the SYSG console which is not supported by Hercules.
>
> Doug

Best Regards,
Johnny Luo

12:46 pm

RE: z/VM on Hercules

William D Carroll

Jun 22, 2007

That's a Demo Pak + zVM 5.3 which only ESP site's have at this time (until
june 29th anyways)

Hercules lacks the SYSG support needed by zVM upto 5.2 (I can not speak for
5.3 except to say if it was designed for Flex-es they may have changed it to
allow an install from a normal console) which is an OSA-ICC Connected
Console Device.