I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Mick

Aug 4, 2008

Surprised no-one has mentioned this, let alone had a hack at playing
with it... haven't we been bleating for a hobbyist/evaluation/play
license for VM and OS for *decades*?! (well feels like decades!)

http://www.vm.ibm.com/eval/

Who's going to be first? Probably not me, as, since the last time I
played seriously with Herc, I've acquired two additional rugrats and a
new 'career' as a volunteer firefighter... but I'm downloading for my
copious free time!

Mike

2:28 am

Re: [hercules-390] I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

scott

Aug 4, 2008

FYI: You need an IBM id.

Mick wrote:
> Surprised no-one has mentioned this, let alone had a hack at playing
> with it... haven't we been bleating for a hobbyist/evaluation/play
> license for VM and OS for *decades*?! (well feels like decades!)
>
> http://www.vm.ibm.com/eval/
>
> Who's going to be first? Probably not me, as, since the last time I
> played seriously with Herc, I've acquired two additional rugrats and a
> new 'career' as a volunteer firefighter... but I'm downloading for my
> copious free time!
>
> Mike

> Files and archives at:
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> http://www.hercules-390.org
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

2:47 am

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Mick

Aug 4, 2008

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, scott <svetter@...> wrote:

> FYI: You need an IBM id.

... which is trivial to acquire. Just follow the link, fill out the
form, surrender an email address to the IBM marketing droids, and
you're in. Took me around 2 mins.

I'm trying to figure out if Herc fakes an HMC DVD, and if so, how. If
it doesn't, the availability of this trial might act as an incentive :-)

Mike

3:09 am

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

William Carroll

Aug 4, 2008

Old Topic,
Hercules can read the DVD with out any issue
but what hercules does not do is emulate the SYSC Console device (OSA ICC)
without this you can not IPL without a 1010 Wait State.

you have a VM system already up you can bring it up second level and install
but 1st level will not work

This has been confirmed many times on the list.

Doug

Mick wrote:

> --- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:hercules-390%40yahoogroups.com>, scott <svetter@...> wrote:
> >
> > FYI: You need an IBM id.
>
> ... which is trivial to acquire. Just follow the link, fill out the
> form, surrender an email address to the IBM marketing droids, and
> you're in. Took me around 2 mins.
>
> I'm trying to figure out if Herc fakes an HMC DVD, and if so, how. If
> it doesn't, the availability of this trial might act as an incentive :-)
>
> Mike

3:42 am

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, William Carroll <voxr@...> wrote:

> Old Topic,
> Hercules can read the DVD with out any issue
> but what hercules does not do is emulate the SYSC Console device (OSA
ICC)
> without this you can not IPL without a 1010 Wait State.
> This has been confirmed many times on the list.

I see what you mean, you're right. Well, the free availability of z/VM
is a new topic, so hopefully that will spur peoples interest in working
on the SYSC issue. Perhaps it can be emulated, or VM tricked/hacked
into believing that it's talking to the correct device, sufficient for
the IPL to proceed.

Mike

4:21 am

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Jay Maynard

Aug 4, 2008

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:09:17AM -0000, Mick wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out if Herc fakes an HMC DVD, and if so, how. If
> it doesn't, the availability of this trial might act as an incentive :-)

It doesn't, yet.

The trial has been run on Hercules, though it's not trivial to set up and,
at this moment, requires a running z/VM system for some preparation steps.
Work is in progress to make it possible to run without that.

FWIW, there's an interesting bit in the license...but that belongs on
hercules-advocacy, not here.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)

11:38 am

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 11:42:16PM -0400, William Carroll wrote:
> Hercules can read the DVD with out any issue

Hercules can read the DVD to IPL from, but it does not provide the running
guest application/OS with access to the DVD's contents, and that's required
as well.

> but what hercules does not do is emulate the SYSC Console device (OSA ICC)
> without this you can not IPL without a 1010 Wait State.

This is true as well.

There are two roadblocks to running the evaluation version directly under
Hercules; these are the two of them.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390

11:40 am

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Jay Maynard

Aug 4, 2008

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 06:38:45AM -0500, Jay Maynard wrote:
[about the z/VM trial edition:]
> FWIW, there's an interesting bit in the license...but that belongs on
> hercules-advocacy, not here.

The license says, in part:

z/VM Version 5 Release 3 Evaluation Edition operates on the IBM System
z10 Enterprise Class (z10 EC). The Program requires hardware that
implements the IBM 64-bit z/Architecture in order to execute properly
and therefore You are not authorized to install or use this Program on
any machine that does not properly implement 64-bit z/Architecture.

Note that it does not say that "you must run this Program only on a z10 EC".
IBM is very, very good at making licenses say exactly what they want them to
mean. To me, this means that the evaluation edition may be run on Hercules
as long as Hercules properly implements the 64-bit z/Architecture.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390

11:48 am

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Adam Thornton

Aug 4, 2008

On Aug 3, 2008, at 11:21 PM, Mick wrote:

> --- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, William Carroll <voxr@...> wrote:
> >
> > Old Topic,
> > Hercules can read the DVD with out any issue
> > but what hercules does not do is emulate the SYSC Console device
> (OSA
> ICC)
> > without this you can not IPL without a 1010 Wait State.
> > This has been confirmed many times on the list.
>
> I see what you mean, you're right. Well, the free availability of z/VM
> is a new topic, so hopefully that will spur peoples interest in
> working
> on the SYSC issue. Perhaps it can be emulated, or VM tricked/hacked
> into believing that it's talking to the correct device, sufficient for
> the IPL to proceed.

SYSG would be even more useful, he intimated.

Adam

4:49 pm

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 11:49:02AM -0500, Adam Thornton wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2008, at 11:21 PM, Mick wrote:
> > I see what you mean, you're right. Well, the free availability of z/VM
> > is a new topic, so hopefully that will spur peoples interest in working
> > on the SYSC issue. Perhaps it can be emulated, or VM tricked/hacked into
> > believing that it's talking to the correct device, sufficient for the
> > IPL to proceed.
> SYSG would be even more useful, he intimated.

I suspect that, once SYSC is solved, SYSG is not tha big a difference.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390

9:44 pm

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

dtpi_pappas

Dec 9, 2008

Jay -- can you elaborate on how someone was able to run the trial
under Hercules? I understand that you have to do it as a second-
level system under z/VM. How do you simulate the DVD-RAM drive?

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Jay Maynard <jmaynard@...>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:09:17AM -0000, Mick wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out if Herc fakes an HMC DVD, and if so,
how. If
> > it doesn't, the availability of this trial might act as an
incentive :-)

> It doesn't, yet.
>
> The trial has been run on Hercules, though it's not trivial to set
up and,
> at this moment, requires a running z/VM system for some
preparation steps.
> Work is in progress to make it possible to run without that.
>
> FWIW, there's an interesting bit in the license...but that belongs
on
> hercules-advocacy, not here.
> --
> Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
> http://jmaynard.livejournal.com http://www.tronguy.net
> http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
> Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390

10:58 pm

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:58:25PM -0000, dtpi_pappas wrote:
> Jay -- can you elaborate on how someone was able to run the trial
> under Hercules? I understand that you have to do it as a second-
> level system under z/VM. How do you simulate the DVD-RAM drive?

The DVD-RAM drive is only needed to load the initial ramdisk image, and to
save it again if the user calls for that. It can be run natively under
Hercules, but there's some preparation work that has to be either done under
z/VM or else with a couple of special tools. Those tools have not been
released as yet, and they're not part of the Hercules project (which is why
I haven't jumped back into this discussio before now).
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390