Legally Running z/OS on Hercules

sccosel

Feb 26, 2009

We would like to know what the requirements are, for legally running
z/OS on Hercules.

Is there a link or document that can substantiate the explanation?

Thanks, Scott

2:06 am

Re: Legally Running z/OS on Hercules

vencain

Mar 3, 2009

Not to fan the flames, but if Scott wants to ask whether anyone
running Hercules has obtained a license from IBM to run z/OS I think a
simple response of yes, no, or silence is sufficient.

Academically speaking, if I wanted to know the answer to that question
I'd expect the better avenue would be to directly ask the user
community that is keenly interested in this issue instead of trying to
hunt someone down within the behemoth that is IBM who likely doesn't
have any knowledge whatsoever about the topic.

-VenCain

2:53 am

Re: Legally Running z/OS on Hercules

Stan Saraczewski

Mar 3, 2009

'User community' ?

Isn't that this mailing list ?

The statement below is true.

The statement above is false.

Not to fan the flames, but if Scott wants to ask whether anyone

running Hercules has obtained a license from IBM to run z/OS I think a

simple response of yes, no, or silence is sufficient.

Academically speaking, if I wanted to know the answer to that question

I'd expect the better avenue would be to directly ask the user

community that is keenly interested in this issue instead of trying to

hunt someone down within the behemoth that is IBM who likely doesn't

have any knowledge whatsoever about the topic.

-VenCain

2:57 am

Re: Legally Running z/OS on Hercules

vencain

Mar 4, 2009

Yes.

My point was that telling folks to try and locate someone within IBM as to
whether any of this group's members were allowed to run z/OS under Hercules
seems counterintuitive when compared to asking the users directly via a post to
this group.

-VenCain

--- In hercules-advocacy@yahoogroups.com, Stan Saraczewski
<stan_saraczewski@...> wrote:

> 'User community' ?
>
> Isn't that this mailing list ?

2:31 am

Re: Legally Running z/OS on Hercules

Jay Maynard

Mar 4, 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 02:31:04AM -0000, vencain wrote:
> My point was that telling folks to try and locate someone within IBM as to
> whether any of this group's members were allowed to run z/OS under
> Hercules seems counterintuitive when compared to asking the users directly
> via a post to this group.

The problem is that the authoritative answer can only come from IBM. There
have been users in the past outside IBM who were authorized to run z/OS on
Hercules, but in the absence of anyone stepping up and saying that they were
authorized, IBM's all that's left. In the past, people who have claimed to
be authorized to run z/OS on Hercules have been hounded as to the details,
to the point thye've been run off from the group entirely.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)

3:19 am