Articles at openmainframe.org

Roger Bowler

Mar 4, 2009

Those of you interested in the ongoing saga of T3, PSI, Flex, and
Hercules might like to read the articles by Steve Friedman and me
at http://openmainframe.org/

--
Regards,
Roger Bowler

12:04 pm

Re: Articles at openmainframe.org

tsmith9999999

Mar 4, 2009

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the link to the T3 and other article. This is outragous. I defended
IBM with the SCO suit and now to see them doing worse. I have been in the
mainframe industry for over 30 years, I started out programming for a few years
then moved into Systems Programming tho not realy doing programing just the
system software and opsys work. I think the Hercules team are amazing. Back to
IBM. I saw IBM start moving licensing around in the late 90's but didn't see the
big picture. This of course started when the 54 desent decree expired.

History shows that when a market or product places a stranglehold on an industry
then others will reinvent the market or product. What does this mean? Build a
new Operating system and system software for the mainframe! What do you think
IBM would do if they saw others rebuilding ZOS or ZVM or ZVSE? They would flip.
They would try to threaten or file law suits. But somewhere they would also try
to circumvent the competion by offering licenses again. I understand this would
be a monumental undertaking and that it would take years and lots of people but
it has been done before it can be done again. We could also fix or correct some
of the crap that is still hanging around in the system, OR, open it up
completely provide the opsys and let vendors build produsts that have never
existed before. For example RACF, CA has ACF2 who says we have to create another
RACF. How about HSM, This is a great product that another vendor or vendors
could build. IBM has put many of these products into the opsys to eliminate
competition. TSO is another product that may not have to be rebuilt, a few years
ago ROSCOE was a better product. How about dasdm, with all the new products
available now dasdm could be completely eliminated, it is pretty useless now.

Well, I've rambled on long enough.

Thanks again for your Hercules system.
Sorry, I need to say this, I would like better documentation for Hercules and I
would like to help. I like you folks don't have much time but maybe I could do
something.

Terry L. Smith
Sr. Systems Programmer

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Roger Bowler <rogerbowler@...> wrote:

> Those of you interested in the ongoing saga of T3, PSI, Flex, and
> Hercules might like to read the articles by Steve Friedman and me
> at http://openmainframe.org/
>
> --
> Regards,
> Roger Bowler
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rbowler
> Hercules "the people's mainframe"

5:46 pm

Re: Articles at openmainframe.org

Roger Bowler

Mar 4, 2009

Terry L. Smith wrote:
> What do you think IBM would do if they saw others rebuilding ZOS
> or ZVM or ZVSE? They would flip. They would try to threaten or
> file law suits.

Don Higgins at http://www.z390.net has gone quite a long way towards
reimplementing z/OS, VSE, and CICS APIs in Java, apparently without
attracting an adverse reaction.

I guess this sort of thing must pose a bit of a dilemma for IBM. It would
look a bit bad for their image as champions of open source if they were
also suing it at the same time.
http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/opensource/

--
Regards,