Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Fausto

Mar 12, 2009

Hello all,

any news about this subject?
I'm trying... but even if I am able too boot using "ipl zvm.ins", I don't know
how to "mount" the ramdisk.
I tried with creating a TDF file, but the ipl stops at the beginning.

Here is my conf file:

ARCHMODE ESAME
OSTAILOR VM
CPUSERIAL 000612
CPUMODEL 3090
MAINSIZE 512
ECPSVM yes
PGMPRDOS licensed

0000 SYSG

0180 3420 zvm.tdf
371a 3390 pg3711
371b 3390 sp3711

Thanks in advance,
Fausto

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@...> wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 Dec 2008, Jay Maynard wrote:
> > Those tools have not
> > been released as yet, and they're not part of the Hercules project (which
> > is why I haven't jumped back into this discussio before now).
>
> Which begs the question, which project and whose? :)
>
> -Robin
> --
> Robin Atwood

12:37 am

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

jim s

Mar 12, 2009

Fausto,
at least there was a note that zvm eval version requires 3gb, so your
512 mainsize will not work.

I do not know what is on the download disk image in the way of files,
but I suspect you will have to extract the zvm.tdf, pg3711, and sp3711
files somewhere that hercules can access them. Is that what you are
referring to when you mention "mount" ramdisk?

Fausto wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> any news about this subject?
> I'm trying... but even if I am able too boot using "ipl zvm.ins", I don't know
how to "mount" the ramdisk.
> I tried with creating a TDF file, but the ipl stops at the beginning.
>
> Here is my conf file:
>
> ARCHMODE ESAME
> OSTAILOR VM
> CPUSERIAL 000612
> CPUMODEL 3090
> MAINSIZE 512
> ECPSVM yes
> PGMPRDOS licensed
>
> 0000 SYSG
>
> 0180 3420 zvm.tdf
> 371a 3390 pg3711
> 371b 3390 sp3711
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fausto

12:57 am

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Fausto Saporito

Mar 12, 2009

Jim,

I created the tdf and disk files.
All of them are in the same directory.

My tdf is:

@TDF
c:\zvm\zvm.nucleus FIXED 1024
TM
c:\\zvm\zvm.ramdisk FIXED 1024
TM
TM
EOT

when I try to ipl, I have this...

ipl ZVM.ins
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=00001CFC, pid=4692, priority=15
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=00001D2C, pid=4692, priority=0
HHCCP003I CPU0000 architecture mode z/Arch
CPU0000: SIGP Set architecture mode (12) CPU0000, PARM 0000000000000001: CC 0
HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=00020001 80000000 0000000000009082
HHCAO001I Hercules Automatic Operator thread started;
tid=0000166C, pri=0, pid=4692

Do you think this is related to the memory issue?

Thanks,

Fausto wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> any news about this subject?
> I'm trying... but even if I am able too boot using "ipl zvm.ins", I don't know
how to "mount" the ramdisk.
> I tried with creating a TDF file, but the ipl stops at the beginning.
>
> Here is my conf file:
>
> ARCHMODE ESAME
> OSTAILOR VM
> CPUSERIAL 000612
> CPUMODEL 3090
> MAINSIZE 512
> ECPSVM yes
> PGMPRDOS licensed
>
> 0000 SYSG
>
> 0180 3420 zvm.tdf
> 371a 3390 pg3711
> 371b 3390 sp3711
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fausto

6:55 am

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Jay Maynard

Mar 12, 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 07:55:06AM +0100, Fausto Saporito wrote:
> I created the tdf and disk files.
> All of them are in the same directory.

You're over-thinking it. You don't need the TDF. I'm told that all you need
to do is place ZVM.* and ZVMBOOT.* in the same directory, then do "ipl
zvm.ins". Make sure you have LOADPARM CONSSYSG and MAINSIZE 3072 (minimum),
as well as a definition for the SYSG device and any others ou might want
(such as DASD or 3270).
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)

12:37 pm

RE: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

demucserber

Mar 12, 2009

Jay,

you're absolutely right, that does the trick - at least for me.
Booting took some minutes; afterwards you can do a force drain and set the
clock.

Only some keyboard issues now with my X session from MacOSX to the SYSG console
on the server where hercules is running (DELL R100 4GB, dual XEON, SLES10 64
BIT)

Lets see what happens next....

@Fausto,
please let us know if this is working for you as well.

Thank you.

Michael Bernstein

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Jay Maynard <jmaynard@...> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 07:55:06AM +0100, Fausto Saporito wrote:
> > I created the tdf and disk files.
> > All of them are in the same directory.
>
> You're over-thinking it. You don't need the TDF. I'm told that all you need
> to do is place ZVM.* and ZVMBOOT.* in the same directory, then do "ipl
> zvm.ins". Make sure you have LOADPARM CONSSYSG and MAINSIZE 3072 (minimum),
> as well as a definition for the SYSG device and any others ou might want
> (such as DASD or 3270).
> --
> Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
> http://jmaynard.livejournal.com http://www.tronguy.net
> http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
> Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390

1:06 pm

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Fausto

Mar 12, 2009

Hello,

I have Windows VISTA Business 32-bit, on a DELL XPS M1530, with 4 GB RAM, but I
cannot start hercules with 3GB of MAINSIZE... "Cannot obtain 3000MB of main
storage: Not enough space".

So I have to switch to another system.

As soos as I can do it, I'll let you know if it's working.

thanks a lot,
Fausto

--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, "Ian S. Worthington" <IanWorthington@...>
wrote:

> iirc XP can support 3GB.
>
> No idea about Vista, I'm trying to avoid it for as long as possible hoping (in
> vain no doubt) it goes the same way as ME. (Thought Vista *has* saved me
> money already: I'm not buying a new laptop till this saga plays itself out).

5:46 pm

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Mike Schwab

Mar 12, 2009

Change your Vista Paging file size to the maximum it will allow, or up to 6GB.
Wasn't there some relocating tricks you can also use?

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

6:02 pm

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Dave Wade

Mar 12, 2009

You can never get 3Gb of Mainframe RAM allocated on a 32bit Windows system.
The most you can ever hope is a 3GB address space for Hercules and to get
that you would need to tweak the system. For vista its documented here:-

http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index.php/IncreaseUserVa

and for XP here

However that depends on the program being linked with the

"/LARGEADDRESSAWARE"

and having never built it I am not sure it is.

Dave Wade G4UGM
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

6:20 pm

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Fausto Saporito

Mar 12, 2009

Hello Dave and all,

tweaked the system... recompiled hercules with that linker option... but
nothing: again the same error.

fausto

You can never get 3Gb of Mainframe RAM allocated on a 32bit Windows system.
The most you can ever hope is a 3GB address space for Hercules and to get
that you would need to tweak the system. For vista its documented here:-

http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index.php/IncreaseUserVa

and for XP here

However that depends on the program being linked with the

"/LARGEADDRESSAWARE"

and having never built it I am not sure it is.

Dave Wade G4UGM
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

7:46 pm

Re: I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...

Harold Grovesteen

Mar 14, 2009

.ins files contain a file name and a load point. If the load point in
the .ins file plus the file size is less than 3G, a smaller memory size
might be feasible. That could get you past the Hercules initialization
error for 3G, allowing the ipl to occur with confidence that all of the
files in the .ins will load. I think I remember 2047M (2G minus 1M) as
the max for a Windows 32-bit system for Hercules main storage. Not
having a Windows box, you would have to try that.

If you get the wait state code reported by others, you could run an
instruction trace to see if you are simply running out of memory or
there is a hard coded test some place. When I was trying to get
OpenSolaris to IPL I had to do a bunch of this with some patches to get
it to work. YMMV of course for VM.

Just some ideas you might want to explore one step at a time.

Harold Grovesteen

Fausto Saporito wrote:

> Hello Dave and all,
>
> tweaked the system... recompiled hercules with that linker option...

12:01 pm

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 07:01:19AM -0500, Harold Grovesteen wrote:
> If you get the wait state code reported by others, you could run an
> instruction trace to see if you are simply running out of memory or
> there is a hard coded test some place. When I was trying to get
> OpenSolaris to IPL I had to do a bunch of this with some patches to get
> it to work. YMMV of course for VM.

It is my understanding that the issue is a hardcoded test, and that it will
run in 2 GB if modified. I do not know what the modification might be. I
also do not know if making that modification to get it to run would be
within the license terms.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)