News - Commercial Version of Hercules - Turbo Hercules

ScottC

Mar 26, 2010

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/ibm_turbohercules_response/
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/ibm_turbohercules_response/>

5:41 pm

Re: News - Commercial Version of Hercules - Turbo Hercules

Mike Schwab

Mar 26, 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM, ScottC <scosel@...> wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/ibm_turbohercules_response/
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/ibm_turbohercules_response/>

Just in case Turbo Hercules wins, would Hercules need a way to honor a
limit from z/OS 1.* as to the number of processors online, or the
speed of each processor? It currently has the
http://www.hercules-390.org/hercconf.html
configuration setting of
PGMPRDOS that allows RESTRICTED or LICENSED .

Perhaps this could allow a license key that z/OS would read, and z/OS
would then be allowed to verify or set the number of processors
online, amount of RAM it uses.
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

7:36 pm

Re: News - Commercial Version of Hercules - Turbo Hercules

Roger Bowler

Mar 30, 2010

Mike Schwab wrote:
> Just in case Turbo Hercules wins, would Hercules need a way to honor a
> limit from z/OS 1.* as to the number of processors online, or the
> speed of each processor? It currently has the
> http://www.hercules-390.org/hercconf.html
> configuration setting of
> PGMPRDOS that allows RESTRICTED or LICENSED .
> Perhaps this could allow a license key that z/OS would read, and z/OS
> would then be allowed to verify or set the number of processors
> online, amount of RAM it uses.

This is a very constructive suggestion, Mike.

With this idea, z/OS could also set a limit on the MIPS or MSU rating that
it consumes. I like this idea. It could overcome the principal objection to
licensing z/OS on Hercules, namely that there is currently no way to
enforce software charging based upon machine capacity. Regardless of
whether or not one agrees with the principle of capacity based charging, we
probably do need to find some way to support it.

--
Cordialement,
Roger Bowler

8:34 pm

RE: [hercules-advocacy] News - Commercial Version of Hercules - Turbo Hercules

David B. Trout

Apr 7, 2010

ScottC wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/ibm_turbohercules_response/
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/ibm_turbohercules_response/>

This is off-topic for this group. Please re-post to the correct group:

HERCULES-ADVOCACY:

Advocacy of issues relating to the Hercules emulator for IBM mainframe
systems.

Community email addresses:

Post message: hercules-advocacy@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: hercules-advocacy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Files and archives at:

Thank you.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
fish@...

2:49 am

Re: News - Commercial Version of Hercules - Turbo Hercules

Mike Schwab

Apr 7, 2010

How about, when they license z/OS to a customer, they add a 5%
surcharge for the IBM patents used by the emulator to be paid to the
patent holders?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM, "Fish" (David B. Trout)
<fish@...> wrote:
> ScottC wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/ibm_turbohercules_response/
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/ibm_turbohercules_response/>
>
> This is off-topic for this group. Please re-post to the correct group:
>
>  HERCULES-ADVOCACY:
>
>     Advocacy of issues relating to the Hercules emulator for IBM mainframe
> systems.
>
>  Community email addresses:
>
>    Post message:  hercules-advocacy@yahoogroups.com
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

3:02 am

Re: News - Commercial Version of Hercules - Turbo Hercules

Roger Bowler

Apr 8, 2010

On Wednesday, April 7, 2010 Mike Schwab wrote:
> How about, when they license z/OS to a customer, they add a 5%
> surcharge for the IBM patents used by the emulator to be paid to the
> patent holders?

That assumes that the alleged patents are (a) valid patents and (b)
used by the emulator. Neither of which has been established at this
point in time.

Having analyzed a handful of the patents involved, there are serious
doubts about their validity and/or applicability to Hercules. It is
reasonable to assume that the remaining patents will be similar.

IBM boasts the world's largest patent portfolio, but if you actually
read some of them they seem be going for quantity rather than quality.
It's pretty clear that many of the patents have never been properly
examined by the patent office, and would be rapidly demolished if they
ever came to court.

I suspect the primary reason that IBM bought out PSI is that IBM did
not dare risk seeing any of their patents ruled invalid by a court.

--
Regards,
Roger Bowler
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rbowler
Hercules "I can't believe it's not a mainframe!"

8:40 am

Copyright 2010