To: mailto:mozilla-general@DOMAIN.HIDDEN, mailto:mozilla-documentation@DOMAIN.HIDDEN
Subject: Mozilla Release FAQ (Release 22 April 1998 v1)
From: Pat Gunn
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 02:44:09 -0400
Followup-to: netscape.public.mozilla.documentation
Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.general, netscape.public.mozilla.documentation

Mozilla Release FAQ
		Release 22 April 1998 (version 1 of the day)

	No guarantee of factuality in this FAQ is made, and it is maintained
	by Pat Gunn , who is not affiliated with Netscape.
	Various other people have contributed to this FAQ in one form or
	another. A recent version is kept at http://junior.apk.net/~qc/dok/mozilla_faq

			* Special note: The next version will be reordered and
			* renumbered (within sections) to put questions that are
			* logically together together.

Sections:

1) General Questions about the Mozilla Project
2) Building Mozilla
3) Features, Patches
4) Teams
5) Meta-information

			--- Section 1: General Questions about the Mozilla Project ---

1.1) What is Mozilla?
	Mozilla is the name for a cousin to Netscape Communicator that is being
	developed by the Free Software Community with the cooperation and
	support of Netscape.

1.2) On what is Mozilla based?
	Mozilla is based on a very early version of Netscape Communicator 5.0
	with all of the code that Netscape is unable to release due to license
	or export restrictions removed.

1.3) When was Mozilla released?
	The first release of Mozilla was on 31 March 1998.
	The second release of Mozilla was on 9 April 1998

1.4) What is the current version of Mozilla?
	The particular naming system used by Mozilla is not yet determined.
	Until it is decided, it would probably be best to refer to the current
	version of Mozilla as the April 9th release.

1.5) Who is working on Mozilla?
	Several Netscape engineers, as well as plenty of people who have
	no affiliation with Netscape. You too can work on Mozilla, provided
	you have some necesary skills and software.
	See section 4 for details.

1.6) What resources are available to the Mozilla community?
	Webpages:
		http://www.mozilla.org
		http://devedge.netscape.com
		http://www.openscape.org
		http://www.jipes.com/mozilla/
		http://home.netscape.com/comprod/products/communicator/future/
		http://mozilla.alsutton.com/
		http://mozilla-crypto.ssleay.org/
		http://prometheus.frii.com/~gnat/mrm/
		http://mozilla.globalwave.com
		http://mozilla-contest.hungry.com/
		http://progressive-comp.com/Lists/ (Archive of moz newsgroups)
		http://www.troll.no/qtscape/
		http://contributor.devel.org/
		http://www.lizardfx.org/
		http://www.trailerpark.com/phase1/arielb/netscape/
	IRC:
		irc://irc.mozilla.org
	Usenet:
			(Some people receive the newsgroups via a mailing
			list. Take this into consideration when posting things)
	FTP:
		See http://www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html for FTP sites

1.7) Under which license terms was Mozilla released?
	Mozilla is released under the NPL (Netscape Public License)
	which is in some ways similar to the GNU GPL, and in some
	ways similar to a BSD-style license. Take a look at
		http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/
	for details.

1.8) What's CVS, and what does it have to do with Mozilla?
	CVS is a system which is used to synchronize source code
	between developers. Mozilla will be using CVS servers to
	distribute the code in the future. Check out http://www.cyclic.com/
	for more info on CVS.

1.9) Why is the new Mozilla bigger?
	The second release of the Mozilla code includes the FrontEnd of
	the Mac, Unix, and Windows versions. Earlier versions just included
	the FE of the platform you were downloading for.

1.10) What are all these acronyms people are using in the newsgroup?
	Here are a few that are specific to the Mozilla newsgroups:

	FE = Front End -- The part of Mozilla that handles the interface
	BE = Back End -- The part of Mozilla that does all the behind-the-scenes stuff
	NSPR = Netscape Portable RunTime -- An abstraction layer over the local OS

			--- Section 2: Building Mozilla ---

2.1) I get x error when trying to build Mozilla - what's wrong?
	First, make sure that you have the latest release of the Mozilla
	source. Secondly, ensure that you have fully read the build
	instructions for your platform. These instructions are included
	in the source tree, and are also available on the mozilla website:

	Unix:  http://www.mozilla.org/docs/tplist/catBuild/unxbuild.htm
	Win32: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/tplist/catBuild/winbuild.htm
	Mac:   http://www.mozilla.org/docs/tplist/catBuild/macbuild.htm

	Finally, if you can't get far at all into the compilation, you
	might not be using GNU make. Grab the latest version of gmake from
	ftp://ftp.uu.net/systems/gnu/

	Regarding shells, I would like to recommend the following:
		If you are using Unix, I recommend using bash-family shells
		for the build, because of the better control over
		redirection (in case you want to log errors and messages)

		If you are using Win32, using the default cmd.exe (as
		opposed to 4DOS or 4NT) will probably yield better results.

	Regarding compilation options, it would be good NOT to compile with
		optimization, because it's much slower, and on Windows
		platforms, there's a bug in VC++ that makes Mozilla crash in many
		common circumstances if you optimize.

2.2) What platforms have had successful builds so far?

	This list will be updated with time, but (according to
	netscape.public.mozilla.general) the following platforms
	have been built successfully:
		Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
		FreeBSD 2.2, 3.0
		Linux 2.0, 2.1
		MacOS
		WinNT 4.0
		IRIX 5.3, 6.2, 6.4
		Win95 (See 2.7)
		FreeBSD 3.0 (see 2.8)
		Digital Unix 4.0
		NetBSD
		OpenBSD
		HP/UX 9.05, 10.20

	(Note: No OS's that haven't been released will be listed, because
	the status of the build might change)

2.3) What do I need to compile on Win32?
	You need to go grab the usertools package from
	http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/
	In addition, you need Microsoft Visual C++ 4.2 or 5.0.
	Perl for Windows would be another good thing to get
	(see http://www.perl.com)

2.4) What do I need to compile on a Unix system?
	You need to have a working compiler (GCC will work), gmake,
	Motif libraries (see 2.6 if not), and the X Window system.

2.5) What do I need to compile on a Macintosh system?
	You need Codewarrior Pro 2, including some software from the
	codewarrior CD:
		PowerPlant 1.8, MSL, Makestub-MPW
	In addition, you need:
	Waste 1.3
		ftp://ftp.boingo.com//dan/WASTE/waste-13.hqx
	CWaste 1.6
		http://www.bact.wisc.edu/CWASTEEdit/CWASTEEdit.sit.hqx
	Menu Sharing Toolkit
		ftp://ftp.scripting.com/userland/menuSharingToolkit4.1.sit.hqx
	Mercutio 1.5 (SDK only)
		ftp://ftp.digitalalchemy.com/pub/digitalalchemy/mercutio-SDK.sit.bin
	Internet Config 1.4 SDK
		ftp://ftp.share.com/pub/internet-configuration/ICProgKit1.4.sit
	AEGizmos 1.4.2
		http://www.mooseyard.com/Jens/Software/
	MacPerl5 MPWTool
		ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/software/platform/macos/perl/Mac_Perl_519r4_tool.bin
	ToolServer
		ftp://dev.apple.com/devworld/Tool_Chest/Core_Mac_OS_Tools/MPW_etc./MPW-GM/MPW/ToolServer.sit.hqx
	Tool FrontEnd
		ftp://dev.apple.com/devworld/Periodicals/develop/develop25/develop_Issue_25_code/ToolFrontEnd.sit.hqx
	Patch 2.1
		http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/ftp/software/platform/macos/src/HTML/MPW_C.html

2.6) How do I build with Lesstif?
	This is still largely a work in progress. However, it would
	help to have the latest lesstif. Grab it at
	ftp://ftp.hungry.com/pub/hungry/lesstif/lesstif-current.tar.gz

2.7) How do I build with Win95?
	The current version of the source should compile on Win95, barring
	any other problems

2.8) How do I build with FreeBSD?
	Get the patches at http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/moz_port.tgz
	These should eventually make it into the main source distribution.

2.9) I'm *still* having problems getting mozilla to build on my platform!
	Take a look at ns/config/your_platform.mk
	Platforms that aren't used too often might not have a
	fully correct platform-specific makefile. Try to correct anything
	that looks like it's causing the error (comment out existing lines,
	copy them, and *then* modify). If you're really unlucky, you'll
	actually need to step through the build, at each failure correcting
	a makefile somewhere or manually building something. IRIX 6.2/GCC
	still requires this method of build.

2.10) I'm trying to build Mozilla on an unsupported Unix. What do I do?
	Go into ns/config/ and copy the platform that's closest to your
	platform in the Unix evolutionary tree to `uname -s`.mk (note the backtics)
	Change anything you need to.  Do the same thing in ns/nsprpub/config/
	In the main source, find other platforms that can't cope with what your
	Unix can't cope with, and modify the #ifdefs and similar to include and
	exclude what your Unix needs/can't handle. Eventually autoconf might
	magically do this kind of stuff for you, but that's some time away.

2.11) What is the *best* way to build on Linux, with regards to stability?
	In order:

	libc5/Motif 1.2 - Official builds use this
	libc5/Motif 2.0 - Has scrolling problems
	glibc2/Motif 2.1 - Some scrolling, locale problems
	glibc2/Motif 1.2 - Locale problems, not recommended
	glibc2/Motif 2.0 - Locale, scrolling problems, not recommended
	?/Lesstif - Needs a lot of work

2.12) I'm having problems building on HP/UX. What do I need to do?
	Visit http://hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk/hppd/mozilla/patch.html
	and grab their patches.

			--- Section 3: Features, Patches ---

3.1) What platforms is Mozilla available for?
	Mozilla is currently targeted for Win32, Macintosh, and
	Unix/X systems. There are efforts underway to port Mozilla to
	OS/2, Rhapsody, AmigaOS, and BeOS.

3.2) Where can I get patches?
	There is not currently a central repository of patches. This
	probably will change sometime. Keep an eye on www.mozilla.org

3.3) What does Mozilla lack that Communicator has?
	Mail and News were removed because they were based on proprietary
	database software. Java (but not Javascript) was removed because it is
	the property of Sun. SSL (secure sockets layer) was removed because of
	export restrictions. Netcaster was removed because it relies on Java.
	AOL Instant Messenger was removed because it's proprietary to AOL.
	Mail and News eventually will be back, with the proprietary portions
	removed.

3.4) What does Mozilla have that wasn't in Communicator 4?
	Mozilla has the following new features:
		A detachable bookmarks menu
		XML support
		Aurora

3.5) Where can I get a binary?
	Mozilla.org does not provide Mozilla binaries. Various people have put
	up compiled binaries here and there. Here are a few pointers:
	Linux/x86 2.x ELF (req glibc)
		http://www.cuc.ml.org/mozilla-static-motif-binary.gz
	Linux/x86 2.x ELF (uses the Qt toolkit)
		http://www.troll.no/qtscape/download.html
	Linux/x86 2.x ELF (uses the Lesstif toolkit)
		http://users.loa.com/~apple/mozilla/
	Linux/x86 2.x ELF (req Motif 2.0, dynamically linked)
		ftp://ftp.wizzy.com/pub/wizzy/mozilla.gz
	Win32
		http://www.aliweb.com/mozilla/
		http://www.globaldom.com/mozilla.htm
		http://mozbin32.hypermart.net
	MacOS
		ftp://azrael.uoregon.edu/pub/mozilla/mac/MozillaPPCDebug.sit.hqx

3.6) On Win32, it fails to build, with the message "'.\WIN32' unexpected"
	You didn't properly set the environment variables -- you must not
	include a space at the end of the set statements (be careful if
	you are cut'n'pasting).

3.7) On Win32, it fails to build, with directory-related errors
	The full path to the source must not include any spaces.
	Additionally, the source must be extracted with an intact
	directory structure by a utility that understands long
	filenames. If in doubt, grab Info-Zip at
	ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip

3.8) I *really* want the security stuff that was taken out
	Check out the http://mozilla-crypto.ssleay.org/ resource, but
	note that it may be illegal for you to use it in your
	country due to patent laws.

3.9) I *really* want Java
	Check out http://www.place.org/~stevemw/java/mozilla-activator/
	There's a project there that's working on just that. It's not
	yet in a working state, but looks promising. Please join if you're
	capable and interested.

3.10) Where are some interesting patches?
	Take a look at these URLs:

	Fixes blink:
		http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dat95pkn/mozilla/
	Fixes preferences dialogs, stops composer autostart:
		ftp://ftp.dontknow.com/pub/mozilla/
	Fixes some Aurora quirks on MacOS:
		http://www.arcanasw.com/moz5tech/cflextable4.3.98/
	Several little bugfixes:
		http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Campus/4998/mozilla.html

3.11) How do I tweak the interface (replace the logo, etc)?
	See http://www.mozilla.org/docs/refList/user-interface/index.html
	for instructions, the files are:
		Unix/X: ns/cmd/xfe/icons/anim/Anim{Huge|Sm}XX.gif
		Windows: ns\cmd\winfe\res
		MacOS: ns:cmd:macfe:rsrc:communicator:Animation.rsrc (Use Resedit)

3.12) I made a patch! How do I submit it?
	The current best way to do this is to put it on the web somewhere (preferably
	in diff format), and post an URL to it to netscape.public.mozilla.patches
	If you can't, just post it to netscape.public.mozilla.patches
	Eventually, a better way will appear.

3.13) What's with the icon?
	The N logo is only to be present on Netscape's Communicator. This will serve as
	a way for an end-user to determine if they have Mozilla or Communicator. The
	icon that's distributed in the source is just a sample, and several people have
	pages that are collecting proposed replacement icons. See the URLs at the top
	to find some. If you've made an icon, submit it there. There is not currently a
	newsgroup to post these (which isn't to say that it would be a bad idea to have
	one)

			--- Section 4: Teams ---

4.1) I want to add X feature to Mozilla. Who do I contact?
	First, you should make sure that Mozilla doesn't already have the
	feature you wish to add. There have been changes since Communicator
	4.0. Check out section 3 for details. Assured that it's not already
	there, you should post to the mozilla usenet groups, asking for
	helpers. Finally, you should make sure that someone is not already
	working on the code you would need to modify to implement your
	feature. On www.mozilla.org, there is a list of	module 'owners'.
	This system ensures that 2 people are not working on the same
	part at the same time. Check for for the module owner, and
	contact him/her. The specific area that you can find this is at
	http://www.mozilla.org/owners.html

4.2) I don't code but want to see feature X added to Mozilla. Who do I contact?
	Again, make sure the feature isn't already there. Knowing that,
	post something to netscape.public.mozilla.wishlist.

			--- Section 5: Meta Information ---

5.1) What changed since the last version?
	Updated 1.6, 2.7, 3.3, 5.3, added 3.12, 3.13

5.2) What other versions of this FAQ are out there?
	Various other people have decided to take the original of this FAQ
	and modify it, usually making a web version. Some of these have
	more (or less) information than this FAQ includes.

5.3) Where can I find other versions of the FAQ?
	Check out:

	http://www.uwasa.fi/~e75644/mozilla/MozFAQ.html
	http://www.godin.on.ca/mozilla/mozilla_faq
	http://gloppo.hypermart.net/moz-faq.html
	[There are more...]

5.4) Does the author mind if I make my own version, HTMLify it, or whatever?
	Nope. Go for it. I would suggest you try to keep looking at mine
	occasionally, so you can add new things that I do, but you can do whatever
	you want to with it.

Pat Gunn, moderator:comp.sys.newton.announce comoderator:comp.os.os2.moderated
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -- Dr Who
http://junior.apk.net/~qc