To: mailto:mozilla-general@DOMAIN.HIDDEN
Subject: Mozilla: The Gentle Art Of Failure
From: mailto:shyboy2@DOMAIN.HIDDEN (shyboy2)
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 22:13:25 +1000
Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.general

The requests here by members of the general public (vs programmers) for
digestable news of the progress of the various Mozilla versions - and the
paucity of the information available to them, highlights a growing danger:
right now, beyond the hot little dome of programmers, Mozilla's marketing
to the general public is looking as lumpen and low-testosteroned as
Netscape's.

All the best intentions by the best coders will be to naught if there is no
combined MARKETING effort by the participating platforms. That's the bottom
line. Crap marketing results in crap mindshare!

If this was MICROZILLA, there would be pages even now for the average
consumer at mozilla.org, revving them up on the COMING GLORY (you can
almost taste it!), with come hither graphics and easily digestable prose.
What was that which one blinded reviewer wrote about IE4? "This was a
browser my mom would use." There you have it EXACTLY. The marketing pitch
needs to get that real (oh horror, we have to STOOP?!) to grab market
share. So for God's sake, somewhere, some little creative team needs to get
Photoshop humming and their copywriting program pumping. Where, pray, is
the PR? I've barely seen any articles on Mozilla pitched to  Joe Public in
mags or newspapers. Time is a'wasting! Them colorful IE5 beta graphics and
breathless prose at www.microsoft.com are looking, oh, ever so dandy.

Anyone agree?