From santiago at mr-r.net  Thu Mar 24 17:49:47 2005
From: santiago at mr-r.net (Grant Robinson)
Date: Thu Mar 24 19:45:29 2005
Subject: [uug] Open Source vs. Closed Source software

It's quite easy for people to sit and pontificate about open-sourcing
things that they either a) do not own, or b) have a vested interest in.
  Witness IBM and Sun in their on-going battle over open-sourcing Java.
It totally benefits IBM, and Sun stands to lose control and face the
possibility having multiple incompatible implementations of Java.

We have also recently discussed OS X and it's GUI.  It is one of the
biggest advantages that Apple has right now over Windows and Linux.  If
the GUI was open-sourced, what incentive would there be for people to
buy/use OS X over Linux?  While many people have said "I don't want to
use software that is not free(libre)" and have hinted or outright said
that Apple should open-source more of their OS, I would say that there
is no good reason for Apple to give up one of their biggest advantages.

I think that Open source software definitely has it's place.  But I
also think that commercial software (be it libre or non-libre) has it's
place as well.  If I had a killer app that had the potential to make me
a lot of money, I have to say that I would probably sell it, and I
wouldn't be handing out my source code to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
Everyone wants to have some measure of success, and be able to live
life on their terms.  People may seek money for different reasons, but
in the end each person needs to provide for their family, and if
selling software and not opening the source code will feed my family,
then that is exactly what I will do.

On the other hand, I am very grateful that open source software exists.
  I use OSS every day of my life, and my computing experience would be
much poorer if I did not have access to it.  There are definitely
things that I think should be open, always and forever.  Core internet
protocols are one example.  And there are many others.  It just isn't
as clear cut an issue as RMS and many other people make it out to be.

I guess what I am saying is that it all comes down to freedom (libre).
In our society, we have the freedom to write code and distribute it in
whatever manner we see fit.  I personally happen to think that blending
open and closed source software is both acceptable and beneficial.  I
respect other's right to disagree with that statement.  I think we
should also be careful in throwing around statements like "all closed
source software is bad" and making judgments about what companies
should do with the software they have written.  Become the CEO of Apple
or Sun or IBM, realize you have millions of shareholders and employees
who are weighing your decisions, and who are ready to send your stock
and market share plummeting if they disagree, and it becomes a much
more complicated issue than "open source is good, and closed source is
bad".  I know RMS would not agree with me.  Do you?

Grant Robinson